main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm undecided about that.
    I still feel Maul was a missed opportunity and that Dooku was underused. They could have easily been merged into one character and it would have worked much better.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    You might find it interesting that I read that at one point during the writing of AOTC, Dooku and Tyranus were intended to be separate characters.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I never had a problem with Maul being killed in the first film because I think it's important for Obi-Wan to overcome his master's killer. However, I totally agree with you about Dooku being underused and I really wish he could have been given more screen time.

4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I say good luck to Arndt. I'm sure there'll be people that'll bitch and moan for sure.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I want to add that based on the logic that all darksiders are Sith, all darksiders/Sith follow the Rule of Two.

6. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Dooku, Sidious, and Ventress. Three concurrent dark side users.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Ventress is NOT a Sith.

8. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    She also is not in the films. I would be hesitant to use her as an example.

LunarMoth likes this.
  9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Like what we had in the PT? Problem is, there was a lot of people who hated that arrangement, no?

Corvax855 and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The main villain of the PT Darth Sidious wasn't seen all that often. He was in the background for all of AOTC until the end. If we have a main villain for the ST whoever it is needs to be as prominent as Vader was in the OT and not like Darth Sidious in the PT. In the OT we had Tarkin and Vader. In ESB we had Fett and Vader, in ROTJ we had Jabba, Vader and Palpatine. That worked.

Sean Sinclair and Darth_Pevra like this.
  11. Blip

Blip Jedi Master star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    She was however in TCW, so apparently Lucas had no reservations about such a character.

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    I get the feeling that Lucas was setting up a possible ST storyline during the TCW production, and so that being said, it's possible that we'll being seeing the likes of Rotta the Hutt, bounty hunter Cad Bane, space pirate Hondo Ohnaka, and maybe even Asajj Ventress and Darth Maul, too. If the're still alive, that is, and especially if they aren't rid of in the last season of the Clone Wars. None of these characters are human, so it's possible they could still be young of age.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I didn't since it was pretty much the exact same thing the OT gave us. In ANH we had Tarkin as the prominent villain until he's killed off then Darth Vader is the main villain in ESB then the Emperor takes over in ROTJ. Of course in the OT we have Vader as an overarching villain throughout but in the PT we also have Darth Sidious/Palpatine so I really don't see much of a difference.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Sidious is an overarching villain in both trilogies, actually.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I know that. What I'm saying is that if you look at the trilogies separately you have Vader as an overarching villain in the OT and Sidious/Palpatine as an overarching villain in the PT. They serve similar purposes in their respective trilogies because they motivate the heroes into action.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If you look at the OT by itself, Sidious is still an overarching villain. I feel like your posts are implying otherwise.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Palpatine was only seen in person in ROTJ. Vader was the big bad guy we saw for the whole trilogy.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    He gets mentioned in ANH and is in one scene in ESB so there is set up for his appearance in ROTJ but it's about the same amount of set up Jabba the Hutt gets and I don't consider Jabba the main overarching villain. I think it really takes the PT to see Palpatine as the overall villain he has become but that's only my opinion. Agree to disaree.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Except that:
    1. He's Vader's master (although I'll admit that ANH never states that).
    2. He's the Emperor of the evil Empire.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    All he did in ESB was deliver a message. Palpatine might have been the villain of the Saga but of the OT by itself I would have to say Vader. I prefer overt villains to villains that do stuff behind the scenes. Vader led the battle on the Tantive 4, the first Death Star, led the hunt for the Rebels etc. That's my problem with Sidious in the PT. We only see him in person once in TPM and in AOTC. He was good and all in the hologram in TPM but we didn't see him in AOTC until the end of the movie. Instead we got Maul, Dooku, Fett and the Trade Federation. They do not compare to Vader at all.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Didn't Lucas say years ago that one idea was that a minor character in the PT with a larger role in the OT would be the main villain in the ST? I wonder how much of that will be followed if any of it. As far as I can tell, the only two that survived both trilogies are R2D2 and C3P0, so unless one of them is hiding something . . .

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    No. He talked about a hero from ROTJ and it got misinterpreted to refer to a villain from ROTS.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What's the actual quote?

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "It deals with the character that survives Star Wars III and his adventures."

25. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh okay.

I'm still predicting Thrawn will be the villain in Ep 7, even as just a one-shot villain, to bring in EU fans.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.