main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I know literally nothing about the book beyond what I posted, and that it has something to do with a space detective :p

Though I probably should have been paying closer attention to the origin of this discussion. I suppose that's what I get for multitasking a thousand things.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Barra books, Horsey! Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon.

Joe Abercrombie's series has also gotten pretty good at using female leads. The First Law trilogy had one major female POV character, but it was mostly about the male leads, but of the three standalone sequels since, two have had female leads. And they're both pretty badass, complex, interesting female characters who aren't defined by their romantic lives.

Ulicus and instantdeath like this.
  3. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Another recommendation I can throw out, but again one I have not yet personally read, would be The Deed of Paksenarrion. From what I understand, it's a fairly unique take on the typical "hero's journey" plotline, yet starring a young girl. Of course, it's supposed to have much more going for it than that, and I've been told it's much more "character based" than "world based", which is what I personally prefer, even in works of fantasy (perhaps especially in works of fantasy).

Plus, it's got a military fantasy element to it, if you're into that sort of thing. I know I am.

Also, as a fun note: anyone heard of the Suvudu cage matches? If not, the jist of it is that every year a sci-fi/fantasy website pulls characters from various different works and puts them in a tournament, letting fans vote. What really makes it fun, though, is that writeups will be contributed, suggesting how the fight might go. Last year, Matthew Stover's Caine went up against Paksenarrion, and Stover was awesome enough to contribute a highly entertaining writeup.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-1-caine-versus-paksenarrion.html

Amazing. For anyone who liked that, you simply must check out the next round, where Stover channels Douglas Adams (you read that right), with Caine going up against Zaphod Beeblebrox. Mess with Caine, and not only will he kill you, he'll steal your *****ng towel.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have you read any of the Modesty Blaise books? They are non fantasy but with a strong female lead with a male sidekick, who are not in a romantic relationship, and some memorable and returning female side characters

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, the faces were for Horsey.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What about David Weber's stuff? I'm currently working my way through the Honorverse and Safehold series. Honorverse is female lead as is In Fury Born, a standalone. But Safehold has some surprisingly good female leads too.

That said, I'm not quite sure what exactly you're after so these might be off.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    s65horsey If you had to cast an actor to play Cade Skywalker and one to play Corran Horn, who would you choose?

edit: Heck let's make it three: Mirax Terrik as well. But pick an actress plz. :p

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    If you had to cast an actor to play Cade Skywalker and one to play Corran Horn and Mirax, who would you choose?

Cade is easy. Eric Christian Olsen.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to have to think about Corran and Mirax a little longer.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ok I'm doing several Corrans because he's been drawn so differently.

Young, CorSec Corran: Ian Somerhalder
    [​IMG]

Pilot Corran: Luke Wilson
    [​IMG]

Jedi Corran: Chris Hemsworth
    [​IMG]

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Clearly his Rogue Squadron years were not kind to him.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Interesting choices. Ian Somerhalder in particular looks like a good choice, and as an added bonus, he's also the shortest (isn't Corran around 5'5?). Not that his height is really that important to his character, other than the short guy=big temper thing he has going on.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Also doubles as your answer to any possible "What's your greatest fantasy" question.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    s65horsey -- what about Mirax?

Also, by the by, I just finished catching up with the Star Wood comics and I think you might like them. I know you said earlier that you're only reading DotJ, but Star Wood has a lot of references to the X-wing books and comics, lots of X-wing stuff, and Wedge is a starring character.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And Leia in full-bore piss-and-vinegar mode...in a good way.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    People, obviously Corran should be played by international badass Mads Mikkelsen.
    [​IMG]

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think there is something wrong with your image

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Just watch Hannibal (more people should watch Hannibal). There's your Corran :p

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Are we talking about I-spoonfeed-people-their-own-brains Hannibal or I-climbed-some-Alps-with-some-elephants Hannibal? Because I'm trying to envision Corran doing both. And failing. Especially doing both at once.

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  19. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The former. Only a better version.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Don't be daft, he's already been Anakin Skywalker. How can he be Corran?

(Who's Hayden Christensen? What are you talking about? I don't remember that.)

21. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I am so confused...usually I speak Uli but I definitely am lost.

Mobile sock of s65horsey

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Chris Hemsworth- should have played Anakin Skywalker.

Haydeh Christensen- Who?

Ulicus likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    HOW IS IT THAT INSTANTDEATH -- A MERE YOUNGLING WITH BARELY A SCORE OF YEARS -- UNDERSTANDS ME BETTER THAN YOU, SEY!?

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  24. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I am going to leave the forum now in shame.

Mobile sock of s65horsey

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.