main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red has a cultural meaning on Naboo

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jul 3, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    As evidenced by the red clothing of Amidala and her handmaidens as well as the red of Palpatine's office. Does anyone agree?

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moved to Prequel Trilogy from Saga

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I think it's supposed to symbolize democrat and republican. Notice how when Valorum is chancellor, everything is blue, then when Palpatine becomes chancellor, it all changes to red.

It's symbolic of the two real life political parties. At least that's how I interpret it. I guess Naboo is republican

4. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I thought that Palpatine used a red office and red royal guards to symbolize the Sith/Dark Side. Because red is the color of most evil things, like blood, red lightsabers, Darth Maul, low DS batteries, etc.

As for Padme/handmaidens, not sure if that has significance. I thought her outfit changed all the time.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    [face_laugh]

6. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Well, of course they'd idolize the colour of blood, being a bunch of monarchist primitives.

Dredalus likes this.
  7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    that's what I thought too.

VanishingReality likes this.
  8. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I find that doubtful. The prequels are political films, of course, but they aren't allegories. This isn't Animal Farm.

I think Palpatines fondness of red, which is used as the color of the dark side elswhere in the series, is meant to add to the irony of his character; the arch villain of the saga is hiding in plain sight.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What I'm looking for is the in-universe reason that non-Palpatine Naboo stuff is red.

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Red is a bold colour and is associated with blood. Blood, in turn, is associated with so-called bloodlines, which are associated with social caste, aristocracy, and royalty. Red, therefore, has a regal function on Naboo, and is meant to pay homage to the monarchical structuring of its surface society. Naboo is also a rather paganistic planet/culture, so red has a strong association with nature worship, too. These would be the primary "in-universe" reasons for red, I think.

11. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    They aren't a true monarchy, their queens are elected. It's not based on bloodlines.

12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Padme had her colours done and after discovering she was a 'winter' decreed that red would be the national colour.

They definitely weren't communist...

13. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Get ready for a facepalm...

*facepalm*

SOCIAL CASTE.

ARISTOCRACY.

ROYALTY.

These are ideas and organizational principles that inform monarchism.

Naboo doesn't need to be a "true monarchy" -- whatever that means -- to have monarchical elements which are signified and sanctified by the colour red.

And have you ever stopped to consider how elections are conducted? Even in so-called democratic societies, a person's appearance, their genetic heritage, and their cultural background, their earthy lineage, play critical parts in how seriously they're taken and how many votes they receive.

Elected monarchs, like the monarchs of Naboo, may also be drawn privately from a very limited pool. Yet, if the chosen monarchs are ostensibly upholding a democratic constitution or ideas of some kind, they can be thought of as democratic -- to an extent. And there is often little in political discourse from stopping words being badly abused and co-opted for self-serving, obfuscatory purposes. In fact, it's kinda the norm.

Ultimately, the Star Wars saga is asking people to look beyond labels; so that true value and intent can be ascertained. This is the lesson Yoda attempts to teach Luke on Dagobah. The truth exists outside of all human systems and patterns of thought; labels are always reductive and often a distortion.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    As cute as your attempt to talk down to me is, the point still stands that Naboo's system is not based on bloodlines. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the film makes the exact opposite point, that Padme was an ordinary girl with a strong calling towards civic duty.

15. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Mod edit: No personal attacks

16. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Analysis paralysis!

Don't Padme and her handmaidens wear many different colours at various times?

I may be being superficial, but I reckon it's just some nice looking threads for the ladies to wear. ;)

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

18. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Actually, Lucas has gone on-record that the events of the Prequel Trilogy were influenced by the war in Vietnam, and later Iraq. I wouldn't put it past George to throw in a small nod like that into the film.

The AOTC deleted scenes on Naboo re-enforce this point, especially in Padme's dialogue with Anakin as she reminisces over pictures. She clearly had a strong political inclination since birth.

19. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Mod edit: flaming

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

21. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw the red as representing the 'royal blood' of the elected monarch. It's regal and represents power.
    Red is also associated with willpower, capability, and strength - of conquering enemies and having a powerful love for the citizens. To me this tidbit of colour psychology could have a place in why red would be such a prominent colour.

Another thing to mention is the Jewel of Zenda. This seems to be an artifact that represents the royalty and monarchs of Naboo. It's within the Throne Room Gown's headdress; it's also red.

In short I believe the colour either would have historical significance or emotional significance. Perhaps even both.
    In a our-universe perspective that should also explain why the colour was chosen by GL, Trisha, and the costume team.

22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    But again though, the color is just as strongly connected to Palpatine, that can't be ignored. And not only is he separate from the monarch, he is opposed to her

23. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Since red is also representative of evil and anger, it fits well with the Sith and Palpatine.

In the colour psychology itself it is sometimes seen as a 'thin line' colour, since it can represent (or invoke) both passionate love and deep hatred/fury.

Now there's also the fact that both are from Naboo. Could the use of red for both signify that same 'thin line'? Perhaps, it seems possible. As I think about it, it also seems possible that showing two different sides of the colour is an attempt to show two different sides of humanity - good over evil, Empire over Republic. Even Anakin could fall into this category. His fury and love are definitely walking that line.

I could be reading too far into this. I tend to do that.

To me the main idea with red is that using them in different settings will have different meanings and symbolism. So although the Sith 'sabers are red, and Palpatine is associated with red; these occurrences and Padmé are meant to be simply two different 'types' of red, for lack of a better word.

Added note: I think the films are very effective in using these colours for extra depth and creating countless theories or interpretations. I want to say I don't think anyone is wrong because colour is -poetically speaking - emotion. What it invokes in one person is completely different than someone else.

darklordoftech and cwustudent like this.
  24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What if the red is meant to symbolize Palpatine, even when used in it's regal setting? Palpatine's hand is in everything that happens to the queen

25. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I think that's also a possibility.