main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The New User Social VI: Return of The Chaos!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Darth Gangrenous, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    MISSION COMPLETE!!!
    I was watching the TV show "World's Dumbest" and there are many scenes in that show which make you laugh(or cringe) at human stupidity. :p

hear+soul likes this.
  2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Does it count if I start laughing in a crazy-hystaric manner because of the third (3!!) water damage in a row? If not, I keep silent...

hear+soul likes this.
  3. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Hello there! Skiara invited me to check out this thread recently and maybe participate in the missions here. I hadn't seen this thread before because I've never ventured into the EU (but rest assured, I'm not an "anti-EU" SW fan... :)). But as I'm still pretty new around the JCF, I thought it would be a good chance to meet some more people. So, if you guys have room for a newbie, I'd like to join in the fun here!

I did have a couple of questions, too--are the new missions always posted on a particular day? And, is there always a week to complete each mission? Thanks!

4. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Hi pensivia! Anyone is welcome here so please jump right in! Hear+soul will be along to answer the mission posting q more in depth but generally speaking he tries to update on the same say and yes you have a week. If you know that you will be gone or something comes up you can do some make up missions.

Welcome again and if you have any Expanded Universe questions please let me know! I am always happy to introduce people to the best part of Star Wars.

Mobile sock of s65horsey

hear+soul likes this.
  5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome Pensivia! :D It's cool that you've found your way to this place. :)

I'm sure hear+soul will asnwer your questions very soon. But in the meantime, don't hesitate to join our latest mission (post what made you laugh today). :)

Edit: What are 'make up missions'? I might need those as well. :p

(Pensivia, you see, I don't know everything either, so don't hesitate to ask whenever you have a question. :) )

6. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    There is a place for them on the offsite. I did a bunch when I returned to the thread full time.

Mobile sock of s65horsey

7. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Welcome Pensivia it's always nice to see a new face!

8. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks for the welcoming replies ma_petite,Skiara, and Runjedirun! I'm looking forward to meeting the other regulars on this thread as well and to participating in your missions. So, I will jump in with the current one:

Last night my husband and I were watching one of the "Making Of..." documentaries on the saga blu-rays (we actually only got around to buying the set a few days ago!). There was an early interview with Mark Hamill (either done during the filming of ANH or just after) that I had never seen before, and his extra-ridiculous looking seventies hair in that interview definitely made me laugh! I just looked to see if I could find a still of the interview online, but I couldn't find it, though this pic somewhat suggests what it looked like (though the one in the interview is signicantly worse!):

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I think that MH looked very sweet and cute in the film itself, but what I saw last night was just...well, laughable[face_laugh]

Mission Completed!

Whitelight, hear+soul and ma_petite like this.
  9. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Hey Pensivia Welcome!!!!!!!!! :) It's always great to see a new face.

Regarding the day: I try for Tuesday. My apologies to everyone, by the way, as my computer died (I think the battery burned out- I gotta take it to Staples) and I was sick and busy this week, so the CJ hit the back-burner. :/ Yes, you will always have a week- that's the deal. I may post a mission before the full week has lapsed, but you will get the extra days if you need them.

Make-up missions are case-by-case. Sey qualified as she was a master in the old order and deserved to get caught up. If you'd like to make-up some missions and have good reasoning, ask, and the council shall consider it. :)

p.s.- I laughed about something that happened months ago (one of my regulars at work deadpan shared with me he would be attending a jewel concert, which is fine, but I thought he was joking because the way he said it was funny, and then I laughed because he wasn't joking and I laughed, and then I laughed because I realized I looked like a jerk making fun of him for his musical tastes, but I was trapped in laughter and couldn't explain myself, to which I had to laugh. And I kept running through these bases and laughing... so, for whatever reason, I shared this story with a co-worker, who didn't find it very funny, but I cracked up again just thinking about it.). That said, I wanted to have something more actual to share from this week, and I missed the week, so no soup for me, I say. In recognition of the good jedi:

Mission XVII completed by:
    s65horsey Runjedirun Whitelight Jedi Gunny Darth Gangrenous Skiara and Pensivia

updated roster, reflecting the new progression:
    Masters under X missions now have 3 weeks to retain the title.

Mission XVIII: Back to Our Roots: Post 3 times in the WNU in at least two different threads.

News alert!!! Our site has been updated!!!! [face_dancing][face_party] It looks nice and I've updated some info here and there. We also got like buttons! Check it out!

p.s.- loved all the stories and the Mark Hamill pic! [face_laugh] Thanks for sharing, everybody! :)

Also much love and props to Sey for her status. :cool:

p.p.s.- to which I am now following suit. :p

10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    You accepted the crazy, hystarical laugh? :eek:

Oh, and the next one will be very difficult for me... :p

hear+soul and Pensivia like this.
  11. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome, hear+soul! I enjoyed your story about the coworker and the Jewel concert...
    ^This totally sounds like a work anecdote that I would come home and tell my husband...sounds like we have a similar sense of humor in that regard! :)

Like for Skiara, this week's mission will be great for me...I've already been posting in the WNU pretty regularly :)

Btw, I thought of another question for anyone who wants to answer: what's the "backstory" of the "Crimson Jedi"? Why "crimson" and what does that signify? (Sorry in advance if this is an obvious EU-based name that I'm unfamiliar with...).

For the U.S. folks in this thread--hope everyone had a great 4th of July! [face_flag]

BultarSwan and hear+soul like this.
  12. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    :cool:

Yeah- that's a great question, and I should add this info to the off-site. I've rambled about this in the past, so I will attempt to be relatively concise here...

It comes from the Crimson Empire series, in that it's a reference to the Imperial Guard. When I was a newbie, I saw the jedi and sith groups, but felt rather noncommittal, and wanted to do my own thing, so some chums and I started up this group with the idea of inclusiveness to both persuasions. To me, that meant a character with a jedi heart, but the trappings/cool-factor of the rougher characters of the SWU. In my mind this character looked like Kir Kanos as a jedi. It's quite fitting we landed in the EUC, actually.

Now, I imagine its beginnings as a special forces unit of the Jedi, doing the dirty work they preferred not to. In this scenario, the Crimson refers to the bloodshed they've seen too much of, and the blood on their hands (not to say their actions are wrong, here).

I have bigger ideas about the fictional history of them/us, as well, and there has been a bit of fanfic written here, for missions, that point to possibly the first Crimson Jedi, but I'll leave it at the above for now.

p.s.- to all: found this relic of a CJ RPG! cool! Also a little painful. :p but fun to look back at the early days and view some old RPing!

13. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Very interesting, hear+soul...thanks for the background!

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    So you'll stay for a while or maybe even longer, Pensivia? :)

Pensivia likes this.
  15. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes, definitely, Skiara...I'm not really into the RPGs, but I'm very socially oriented! :D

16. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Oh, we're not currently doing an RPG, so you're in the clear. I just found one from 2004 I thought I'd share for make purposes of amusement. :p

Glad to have you aboard! You don't have to be a member to adventure with us, but if you'd like to at any point, simply say so. :cool:

Pensivia likes this.
  17. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    hear+soul likes this.
  18. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Awesome! I forgot to say- post links please! all together, if yall could... :D

19. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Oh, ok...I think I was confused...I thought "being a CJ member" = "participating in CJ RPGs"...so, if that's not the case, what does it mean to be an actual CJ member then, and what is required to become one? (Sorry for all the noob questions...no rush for the answers, of course...just whenever...)

And...MISSSION COMPLETE!

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/fan-of-14-yrs.50013391/#post-50838950

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...e-version-2-0.29845699/page-197#post-50838981

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...e-version-2-0.29845699/page-197#post-50840379

hear+soul likes this.
  20. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    That's perfectly okay. This is the New User Social, after all. :p This is a good deal of what we're about.

If anyone wants to help me explain this, feel free, but here's my best shot at this moment...

Our vision is to have fun, help new users in any way possible, and improve the JCF by improving ourselves, and thus making it a better environment in the areas we post in. We were a bit dormant for a while, so about 5 months ago, BultarSwan and Darth Gangrenous decided to revive it. Over the last 5 months, we've been reshaping and reworking the organization from basically the ground up. I say that to say our focus on helping new users has not yet fully been realized, as we have been growing ourselves, but we're coming to a place where that is going to be very important to us once more, even though it's never really left, given that our base of operations is this thread, and now one of our more prominent members is Skiara, who knows a thing or two about the WNU. ;)

Apart from our mission, it's a social club. Joining is simple and easy and participation is the only request, overall. Being a Crimson Jedi does make the missions more fun, as you get to advance and it adds a sense of something bigger to it all, but I've enjoyed every mission on its own, anyway.

here's our site: http://crimsonjedi.boards.net/

All that said, feel free to just roll with us apart from all that. I'm super-glad to see new faces, regardless. :)

21. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Shiny [face_hypnotized]

What's with the 20 questions it asks when it makes you basically rejoin and I want the space back in my name. [face_frustrated] This is aimed at proboards, not you hear+soul.

EDIT: In keeping with the Crimson theme, with some of my birthday money I ordered a two pack of sweatpants from Wally World and the color that I chose was crimson. :D

22. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Sounds great hear+soul! I haven't checked out the off-site yet, but I will when I get the chance. Actually, in doing some searching/browsing through the older posts in this thread, before I even saw your post above, I came across an older post of yours in which you went into the background of the origins of the CJ in some detail (I'll post it here again in case any lurkers want to check it out):

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-new-user-social-vi-return-of-the-chaos.50003302/page-54 (post #1346 on page 54 to be exact).

This was also helpful info, and as a newbie, the idea of creating a place where oldbies and midbies help newbies find their little "sense of belonging" amid the vastness of JCF sounds pretty great! It's probably especially good for me since even though I'm in my early 40s (...definitely not a "newbie" as far as RL is concerned...ha!), the JCF is the first and only internet forum I have ever joined or even lurked much, so the whole "internet forum" thing is new to me as well.

Again, thanks again and I look forward to continuing the missions and probably eventually officially joining up!

hear+soul likes this.
  23. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Awesome. :cool:

I dunno that is weird... maybe I did that but I just didn't think twice about it, but I don't recall...

You do have a space in your name, view-wise, but your actual username has no space. That shouldn't have changed, but maybe you got so used to your display name... I could be wrong.:p

edit: that was Darth Gangrenous

Pensivia, thank you for taking the time to read all that. That's encouraging, for me, and cool, and good for me to stay focused on the goal(s) here. I'm definitely going to have to make sure the off-site comes to reflect all of this asap.

Pensivia likes this.
  24. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    To log in it won't let me use the space but it displays my name with the space in it so I don't know. [face_dunno]

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Pensivia, don't be sorry for asking. That's one way to learn things and here we prefer asking questions than staying silent. It's a lot more interactive. ;) :)

But just one or two things... :p

Btw... do you remember, how you manage to lead me into this trap and making me joining the CJ? :confused:

Nah, honestely, if you have questions about WNU, just ask. :)

Mission...

Mission completed!! :D

PS: The first sight of the updated site looks good. Need to take a deeper look later on. :)

hear+soul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.