main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga OT or PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Garrett Atkins, May 23, 2013.

?

Trilogy you like better?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2013.
  1. OT

78 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. PT

49 vote(s)
    38.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkins4Ever

Porkins4Ever Jedi Master

Apr 12, 2005
    Wont you have to wait for Lucas' forthcoming Ewok prequel so it can be a proper trilogy?

2. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh I voted..bite me! lol My vote goes PT. I find it much more stimulating and without it, I would not the fan I am today...I love the Saga, but the PT is sweet on me.

Samnz and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  3. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    OT, of course. As a kid in the '80s, I loved Star Wars and I love it today. The PT is not what I was brought up on nor is it my kind of SW. Plus I love practical special effects. And characters like Han Solo that the PT sorely needed.

4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Just rewatched both of these movies over the past couple days after not seeing them for years. I vote these as well! :p

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    One day, they'll be people missing the days when they were kids and Jar-Jar was their biggest problem.

6. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I just watched part one (of seven) of the Holiday Special for the first time today on YouTube. I have heard for years how bad it is and decided to take it in myself and see what I think. And good grief, the scene with Chewbacca's family is beyond horrible. I hope it gets a little better than that as it goes on.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It doesn't. It gets considerably worse.

8. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Just finished part two, which includes the cooking show. Ridiculously terrible and I think that's all I can tolerate for one day. I will pick up the next part some other time. As a Star Wars fan, I feel like I must see THS in its entirety just to say I have been there and suffered through it. However, I have feeling that the last thought that will run through my mind on my death bed is, "Did you really waste a couple of hours of your life on that awful show?"

9. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Stir whip, stir whip, whip whip stir

I hated the cooking scene the 1st few times, now I occasionally find it amusing.

I usually find it mostly bearable when I fast forward through the parts that don't have the movie cast, or Imperials.

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You could always watch the Nostalgia Critic review of it. It is pretty funny.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  11. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    Especially Critic analysing the cooking show.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It's an interesting question. I chose the OT. "Why?!", I hear all of you asking...

1. SW (ANH) was a cultural phenomenon in 1977.
    2. The Empire Stikes Back is probably the best sequel in film history* (when sequels were a new innovation at the time).

SW (ANH) is that rare film that meets all the internal criteria for story and is released in that perfect moment in history. It transcends its external purpose...mere entertainment. It means so much to people and stands the test of time. SW gave us that and the Empire Strikes Back fulfills our hopes for more of the same.

I don't believe the PT comes close for understandable reasons.
    *excepting The Godfather Part II.
    I will not go on as some opinions become annoying and impertinent.

13. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    That's like asking, do you prefer 1 + 1 = 2 or 1 + 1 = 3?

That answer to your question is the OT. It's a fact.

:)

14. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    The OT is a piece of art (not mathematics) therefore any evaluation of it will be subjective. There's no facts or objective truths to be found here.

15. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    It was a joke. :)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    OT. But truly this is like asking me what I like better, caramel or chocolate.

17. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    Although I absolutely love ROTJ my vote goes PT purely because it's the one trilogy I watch the most, good lightsaber fights, good character development, loads of talking points and also Maul.

VMeran and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  18. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    This is a hard one.

OT has the better movies for sure. ESB is a timeless gem, ANH is a classic, and the ROTJ is a good ending to the saga, regardless of Ewoks.

I do find myself watching the PT more often though, for all the faults they have as movies, they are visually very gratifying, and I love how much the Force kicks ass in those.

And ROTS is actually a pretty decent movie. APM less so, but still good. I remember when I saw it for the first time in the Cinema, it blew me away.

Don;t like AOTC so much though. It has good parts, providing I skip through the Padme/Anakin stuff.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You mean TPM? ;)

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Maizel like this.
  20. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    Yes, yes I do, my good Elf. Thank you.

21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I love all three films from the OT, while I only like two from the PT.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    OT because I loved those characters. PT characters just weren't likable except for QGJ, after he died I didn't care what happened to the others.

23. oxidious88

oxidious88 Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    See, this is what I can never understand about star wars fans...why do we feel the need to split up these movies instead of keeping it whole. I don't care about the whole medicloreans thing or boba fett's back story being ruined, It's about the progression of the story. Seeing how Anakin went from an innocent child to a full blown evil sith. Seeing the heart breaking scenes of padme and anakin in ROTS. Seeing why Yoda ended up on Yavin, and how Anakins own children grow up to defeat him and bring balance to the force. THAT'S what matters...not "whats better, PT or OT?" Screw that man. I love every single movie equally because they sum up to be one of my favourite stories in film to this day.

minnishe, VMeran, Samnz and 2 others like this.
  24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    You speak too much sense for this thread, oxidious.

Now, go back to your pit, and think about what you've done!

I rather agree with you, though I find a lot of favour with the PT. Overall, though, I contend that it's much more exciting to think on the profound contrasts worked into the saga; and the complete span of the story.

I sometimes have to pinch myself, as this is a film series with moments as technically and tonally diverse -- and resonant -- as a tense, monochromatic "found footage" aerial assault on a fortified battle station, with 1970s effects and a 1970s brio, featuring some weird guy dressed in black, with a bucket on his head, menacing the hotshot human pilots out for victory...

...and this same guy, as a young man, dressed in a lacy shirt, his face glowing, birds singing, as he meditates on a cloudy day on some paradise planet, his thoughts trained on his beloved mother, as he fights himself over what to do, with an angelic femme fatale at his side (literally), the air one of aching melancholy...

...in films separated by a quarter-of-a-century of earthly conflict and unrest, executed with radically different levels of technology, framed, lit, scored, and edited with a grammar that is both pleasingly unified yet fantastically divergent...

...in some brilliant, extended homage to a rich artistic and cultural tradition, a collective consciousness of expression extending back to cave paintings and fertility rites, through to modern religion, philosophy, stage plays, anthropology and child psychology books, television, cinema, and even the burgeoning medium of the video game.

"Can you beat that, eh?"

[​IMG]

25. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    The PT, certainly.

A more unified trilogy, and one that satisfies my rarely-sated appetite for romantic tragedy. Plus, it has Revenge of the Sith, which I genuinely believe is one of the best films of the past decade, just trailing masterpieces like There Will Be Blood, Munich, and The New World.

Cryogenic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.