main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Shmi's Virgin Birth?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Neomic, Jun 21, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. And if he made that choice because he was "destined" to do it by some prophecy that was in place before he was born, it undermines the choice itself. IOW, he didn't do it because he came to an epiphany on his own about how wrong his actions of the past 20 years had been...nope, he was "chosen" to do it.

[face_beatup]

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Who said he made the choice because he was "destined" to do it? There seems to be an assumption that the prophecy was guaranteed to be fulfilled in-universe, but it was not. The only guarantee was provided by the audience already having seen the end of the story beforehand. When Palpatine spoke of his "destiny" he had something completely different in mind, a turning away from what the Jedi hoped he would do. So "destiny" is very much in the eye of the beholder with these different groups. And I don't think he cared about the prophecy at all by that point. It seems sufficiently clear that his choice was made for his own reasons and of his own volition. Thus, it doesn't seem fair to say that anything undermined it.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Maybe he was destined to. It didn't take great power to attack Sidious from behind in ROTJ, but the Force potential he had drew him close to Sidious and gave him that opportunity .

4. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I have actually never thought about this possibility. This is so interesting to me and I'm so glad that I stumbled upon this page. Thank you for this.

I feel that seeing as the Force has its own will and is living, it is knowledgable of what is going on around the galaxy. Perhaps with Plaguis' power to create life and prevent death, the Force knew that it was necessary to create a hero, a "chosen one", to counter this threat in the galaxy.

But, we never know.

5. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013

6. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    I know what you mean, it's like the Force has a mind of its own and is actually a much more than mere energy, but rather an intellect. This can be seen as, although Anakin failed to fulfil the Prophecy, he would do so at a later time under quite unlikely circumstances. Luke fulfilled it directly, but Anakin made the indirect more significant impact because he was the father of Luke. The Force always finds a way around obstacles.

kainee likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I have never taken Anakin's actions in either ROTS or ROTJ as the result of the prophecy. I have always thought of it more as Anakin had the potential to bring balance to the Force and that he was the only one who could do it. But he made his own choices in turning to the dark side and turning away from it. If he had stood aside and allowed Palpatine to murder Luke then the prophecy would simply remain unfulfilled.

8. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    This is exactly what I was thinking. The Force has it's will, mind, and power. Though beings may be powerful with it and can manipulate it, at the end of the day the Force is its own and does as it pleases.

kainee and darth ladnar like this.
  9. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Interesting thread & theories.

Ever since I saw TPM in '99, I never felt that Shmi was lying to Qui-gon about Anakin not having a father. After all, why would she care either way what Qui-gon thought? She didn't have anything to prove to him.. And, as has been said, if she didn't want to tell Qui-gon the truth, there are other things she could have said that would have sounded more plausible.

I also believe that one of the reasons for this was to make Anakin closer to Shmi; she was the only parent he ever knew, and therefore leaving her was especially difficult. Sure, a lot of kids are closer to their mothers anyway, but in Anakin's case this was even more pronounced. And, as was seen in AOTC, his attachment to her proved to be detrimental, since it started him down the path to the dark side....

kainee and Sarge like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    This.
    If Shmi didn't want to tell the truth, there are dozens of more believable stories she could invent: Anakin is adopted, I always wanted a son so I visited a sperm bank, my last owner forced himself on me, he was conceived when I was abducted and probed by aliens. Just about anything would be more credible than "I don't know how it happened." She had every right to tell Qii Gon it was none of his business. So as much as I wish GL hadn't gone that way with the story, I can't believe Shmi was telling anything but the truth as she saw it.

Still, right throught to the end do RotS I was hoping to hear, "She told me enough. She told me I had no father!" "No, Anakin, I am your father."

11. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I wonder how the midi-chlorians got inside her, I do believe her as she doesn't look like a lair and Quai-Gon Never questioned it.

12. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I believe Shmi was impregnated by midi-chlorians/the Force, much like the virgin Mary in the Christian faith was impregnated by the Holy Spirit.

13. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Now, on the topic of getting inside of her, maybe she always had them and was force sensitive herself and just never knew it.

14. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    Yeah that could be true maybe her dad was a Jedi

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've always found that creepy.

But yeah, magic or something.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  16. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    That's what I'm saying. There might be sources out there that have Shmi's family history written out, but I've never seen any of it. For all we know the Skywalker family before Shmi could have all been force sensitive.

kainee and SkywalkerJedi02 like this.
  17. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    Yeah

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  18. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Shmi Is a slave woman. Watto is said to be one of the kinder masters she's had in life. I just assumed unspoken tragedy, which is dark for star wars but the existence of slaves at all is dark. It doesn't need to be elaborated on, But I really don't like the whole virgin birth thing, I prefer a force that leans more towards being a life force and energy field than a god.

kainee and anakinfansince1983 like this.