main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red has a cultural meaning on Naboo

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    He's not separate from her. He's her advisor.

And he's not opposed to her. He uses her for his own purposes.

Palpatine clearly has some regal aspirations of his own -- he puts himself across as a dignified, enlightened monarch/patriarch figure, which is how he ensnares Anakin and later has Anakin idly talking of dictatorship to a former Naboo queen, acquires his own royal guard, and then there's that little thing about him becoming, to use his full title, "His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Palpatine", not to mention his throne room on the the Death Star II. You may have noticed (well, I guess you haven't) that Palpatine's throne room in ROTJ is meant to sharply contrast with Amidala's throne room in TPM; a contrast reflected in the gender, age, experience, and bearing of the respective occupiers.

And this is a thoughtful post, too:

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    He is separate from her, in all regards. He is in fact separate from everyone. He is not her adviser, he is her enemy. He serves no one but himself

Mod edit: flaming

3. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Mod edit: flaming

4. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Mod edit

5. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Mod edit

6. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Mod edit

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    @Cryogenic and Captain Tom Coughlin - take it outside or take a hike.

It's a thread discussing red colour schemes in the fictional culture of Naboo, not gun control or abortion. Yeesh.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I have a question: Isn't it quite a coincidence (in-universe) that Palpatine's home planet uses the same color as the Sith?

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think it's a strong possibility that it is not a coincidence at all

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What is the connection?

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That Palpatine's fingerprints are on every aspect of what is happening to Naboo, and that his destructive influence has been in play since a time before we join the story.

12. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I think it's like what some else mentioned on Pg 1 that it was Naboo's colour for the Republicans.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If Naboo's use of the color red doesn't have a Sith connection, one must wonder about the (non-EU) assumption that the Sith have alwats had red sabers...

14. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    American Judges wear black, assault rifles used by American soldiers are also generally black.

DUN DUN DUN

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  15. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    Yeah it may have to with the Siths Birth place since the Jedi are located on a Blue Planet they use Blue sabers predominantly so I think the Sith must of come from a red plant maybe similar to mustafar without the lava, maybe like the Jedi's birth place Planet.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What I was suggesting is that Palpatine gave himself and his apprentices red sabers because of his home planet's color rather than the Sith having always had red sabers. There's nothing outside of the EU that tells us what color sabers the Sith had before Palpatine.

17. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    Yeah But the Sith still use Red Sabers in other projets like the Old republic, I just believe thats their colour we wont know until the origin of the Sith is Revealed.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    that's EU

19. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    One of the elements of the SW films is its colour tonal quality.

You are right "Red" is important for Palpatine in TPM. It is intended, as GL says in the DVD commentary I believe, to symbolise his aggressive qualities. As such his apartments have this overbearing redness hinting at his real identity underneath his seeming benevolence. It is quite chilling when you see Padme literally sitting in the heart of his malevolence. The idea is then that his colours change to "greys" as his plans unfold through the films and as his world becomes increasingly emotionless.

The colours of the Queen, whoever she is, represents the vibrancy of the Naboo culture. It is this vividness and diversity, a type of organic culture, that is supplanted by the monochromatic and technological world of the Empire.

I particulary love the colour tones displayed in the weather and skies of the PT. These palattes capture beautifully the change of mood from TPM to ROTS.

20. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Right on.

From a cool article originally posted by Seagoat:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...requel-reviews.32077440/page-42#post-50512751

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/01/watching-the-star-wars-prequels-muted-an-experiment

Watching the Star Wars Prequels on Mute: An Experiment
    by Emily Asher-Perrin

Wed Jan 16 2013 11:00am

21. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Naboo was partially based on East Asian cultures, in particular the Mongolian and Chinese ones. the Red color is clearly an influence on Chinese culture, which can be seen in their architecture, clothing and what not. Besides, the handmaidens dress up somewhat similar to Buddhist monks

22. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Nice one, EJC. That's a very good catch; and it exemplifies the expanded "East Asian" aesthetic that Lucas decided to weave into Episode I.

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Looking at her wardrobe, no...

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One red, one with red trim and three with no red...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Senator's attire had no red in them...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Travel attire and dinner dress... no red in them either.

I don't see red being a big deal to the Naboo.

24. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Hey! You can't just go 'round pokin' your nose in the Queen's wardrobe like that! :p

Okay, so red isn't the only colour at play -- blue, in many ways, is far more significant -- but it does crop up more than you're allowing for. For one, it's in all those top pics of Padme as Queen (her makeup), and two, it features as a gem in TPM-Tatooine-Padme's belt: a transition, of sorts, from the red jewel (third eye) that she sports as Queen in her classic red dress that marks her first appearance. When Padme is at her most defiant, as Queen, she appears to prefer showing red in her dresses, which is significant, I think (e.g., first scene with Nute, up against the Senate). I'd also include things like those stunning red-petaled flowers at the Lake Retreat and the red stones that line the pit at the end of the reactor room which Obi-Wan falls into (clinging onto a covering which ensconces one of these stones is what saves him from tumbling into the abyss; as Maul soon does).

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I didn't go through any drawers.;)

:p

True, but "cropping up" doesn't really move me when it comes cultural significance of a color, I need more prevalence.:)