main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga OT or PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Garrett Atkins, May 23, 2013.

?

Trilogy you like better?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2013.
  1. OT

78 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. PT

49 vote(s)
    38.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't accept the OT and PT as a whole. They are too different and to me they are not one singular story.

2. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    The Prequel Part of the Star Wars Saga will always be my favourite as I grew up on it and I Loved Anakin as a Jedi and His Love Relationship with Padme & I could never really connect with Darth Vader because He was no longer the man I knew. But all in all I Love the Star Wars Saga as a whole and I think fans just need to remember that and not just pick sides all the time.

FRAGWAGON, VMeran and Samnz like this.
  3. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Its funny how you talk how much you love the 'Saga' yet every point you named has to do with the PT and dont mention Han Solo once, or mention the rebellion vs empire storyline in ANH, jabba palace, or Lukes story which was the main part of the OT. Sounds to me you like the PT and the Anakin/Sith parts of the OT.

4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    oh and Yoda never went to Yavin i dont think

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    He probably means Dagobah. Don't know how you could get those two mixed up though.

6. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    With Lucas's constant tinkering, I wouldn't surprised to see Yoda show up on Yavin in ANH!

7. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i would as he is in hiding. Id rather have tinkering than reboots.

8. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Why not no tinkering and no reboots!? [face_thinking]

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    drg!!! I was just thinking of you today. Like, where is that fella, and is he coming back? Pleasingly, I see, now, that you are actually around, if posting more in other forums at the while.

Another delightfully succinct response from you. I gave Sith another watch last night and it definitely holds up, in my view. It's a wondrously rich, opulent, muscular epic. There's a very nourishing contrast between the epic and the intimate, Lucas uses all his tools with devastating precision, and the picture moves like lightning (SITH lightning!), from start to finish.

I noticed, this time, that there's a sort of grim exactingness to the performances, too. After a light-hearted opening escapade, which threads arresting hints of darkness, the leads display a sort of internalized dourness and guarded concern that's actually quite nuanced, lending the picture and its dire events a deeper immersion. The visuals are incredible all the way through, too. It's kinda like being catapulted through an art gallery of religious paintings. And THEN there's the music, which is suitably horror-laden when appropriate, and the rest of the time moves effortlessly between tugging on the heartstrings and pounding on one's gut instinct with moments of Stygian fury and mortal dread.

It's a very handsome film that brilliantly caps a visionary trilogy, yes. I sorta think it's too good for mainstream cinema. If I were to emphasize one aspect above all others, it would be the tremendous operatic quality of the picture. Camille Paglia is right; no-one else has even attempted something like this. And it has so many facets. The dull masses may not care too much for its subtle architecture, but I see it as a sensational art film -- and one, it seems, that was largely wasted on a vocal segment of the Star Wars fanbase; though, it continues to leave its mark elsewhere.

SkywalkerJedi02, minnishe and drg4 like this.
  10. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hello yourself, Cryo! As always, you're a pleasure to read.

If there was one saving grace to having endured Zach Snyder's leaden, utterly soul-crushing Man of Steel, it would be the rekindling of my appreciation for Revenge of the Sith. It's one of the precious few genre epics of recent times done right, brimming with poetry, pathos, and good humor. I've tried in vain to find something comparable in subsequent years, but sadly, Peter Jackson's lost all discipline and Christopher Nolan ended his Dark Knight saga with an incomprehensible whimper (I'm being literal, by the way. What in God's name was Christian Bale and Tom Hardy saying?). The nearest triumphs would be Hellboy 2: The Golden Army and The Fall, themselves undervalued.

To be honest, there are times when I wish ROTS had been the film released in '99, just so the fan reaction would be unsullied. Apart from the TPM/AOTC discontent factor, I can't fathom how a Star Wars aficionado could have a major grievance with Episode III. It's as perfect a swan song as there is, and probably my favorite installment now, for having merged the energy of ANH with the transporting beauty and depth of TESB.

minnishe and Cryogenic like this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I really like ROTS, but the characters act illogical, there is some very bad dialogue, and some of the fights are way over the top. So I can definitely understand why someone would dislike the movie.

12. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I have been saying this for many years now, despite my overall enjoyment of the 3 PT movies. What if Lucas just made 1 prequel standalone 3+ hour movie in 1999 with ROTS plot and sprinkles of TPM/AOTC plot points. The PT and ST are just extensions to the OT, there is no rule they had each have their own trilogy. They could have been standalone movies that bookend the OT and may have worked better in the end.

Episode I: Prequel Movie
    Episode II: Star Wars
    Episode III: Empire Strikes Back
    Episode IV: Return of the Jedi
    Episode V: Sequel Movie

But we all know with franchises there is just too much money to be made with more movies.....

13. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Hm... Hardly.
    The prequels require more movies. You can't really turn a good person into Darth Vader in just one movie.
    OT could have been squeezed into one movie. Lucas said many times it was originally planed to be one movie. It's nothing special, main hero embarks on his big adventure, discovers that galaxy evil's poster boy is his father, he redeems him. There. As for the sequels, we'll see.
    Just like you said, franchises are there to make money.
    But we all have to remember, it started with TESB in late seventies, not with the PT.

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The godfather, part 1: story of how an idealistic man becomes a violent mobster boss.

15. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Well there's no "rule" per se, but Lucas kind of forced himself to make a prequel trilogy when he decided to make ANH Episode IV.

16. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I will reiterate what others have said before me - The Saga :)

But if I had to choose a trilogy, it'd have to be RotS, ANH, ESB.

Sorry, I can't vote.

17. ConnorLovesPadme

ConnorLovesPadme Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2013
    I also grew up with the PT, but I also loved the OT aswell but my vote goes to PT.

18. ConnorLovesPadme

ConnorLovesPadme Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2013
    Exactly this.

19. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I the PT suffered because it was a time of peace and there were alot of politics father than action hence why episodes 4 - 6 were released first to catch peoples attention.

20. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    OT for me (I'm an old school fan going 42...:cool:).
    I grew up with it. Also because of the visuals, design, sets, suited Vader, and no overwhelming and over-used CGI.

The PT has its moments and good scenes, but definitely not as compelling to me. And Anakin's turn (pact with the Devil) was a real letdown, from my point of view.

21. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I can't vote because I like the saga as a whole like others. I was born a year after Return of the Jedi. I was introduced to the series on VHS. I love the originals, Lukes story is great, Vader, the humor(especially crazy Yoda at when Luke first meets him), heck, I even like the ewoks.

The PT I also love, My degree is in Political Science so I learned to appreciate the Political aspects of TPM and AOTC during my College Years. ROTS is a beautiful film even with all the CGI which I agree is overused. Jar Jar was grating in TPM but I like the way he was used in AOTC. Darth Vader as a teen would be the whiny emo kid. Obi-wan and Palpatine were played to near perfection by there actors. I like how the galaxy starts out this beautiful art noveau place and then gradually by the end of ROTS were are starting to see the industrial used Future of the OT.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I agree. I do like ANH very much. But the saga's complex portrayals of its characters and the story really began in earnest with TESB, not TPM. In fact, I once encountered an article on the web in which the author praised ANH and condemned the other five movies because their plots were more ambiguous and failed to stick with the black-and-white morality of ANH.

23. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    First, nice to see that someone else enjoys Hellboy 2, that was a big, positive surprise for me and I hope there will be a third film soon. It was funny, quirky and very beautiful. And unlike the first film, it had a good villain.

Second, about other genre films. I think there have been quite many good or even great genre films these past ten years.
    Stardust, V for Vendetta, all three Batman films, yes I include "Rises". While it did have some problems, I think it was a good ending to the trilogy.
    Inception, the two ST films, Looper, Rise of the Planets of the Apes, Skyfall, District 9, I would even include the Hobbit, though not as good as the LotR films but I still liked it. MoS I also liked and it was the first good Superman film in a long time.
    Really, to me, this a good time to be a fan of genre films as many are being made and several are quite good.

Third, about RotS.
    I overall like the PT and I hold RotS as probably the best of the three, but I would be lying if said I don't have problems with it.
    Some of them come from the first two PT films and what they did or failed to do.
    1) The character of Anakin. In TPM he was played by a young kid and, sadly, for me he did an uneven enough job that I did not see the character of Anakin Skywalker, I saw a kid reading lines and trying to act. I don't really blame him as such, the fault lies with the director.
    In AotC I did see the character of Anakin, my problem is, I can't stand the guy. I found him rude, arrogant, way too full of himself, a show off and in general, not a guy I would want to be around. Basically, he annoyed me.
    So RotS starts with a handicap here, the fall of Anakin Skywalker is supposed to be tragic but when I don't like or care about the guy, the tragedy is weakened. To RotS credit, it had a much better Anakin in the first parts. Here I could actually care and maybe even start to like the guy. Of course the problem is that he has to turn evil and do horrible things. So good effort but too little, too late. If I had cared about him then his fall would have been very tragic and sad but I didn't, so it wasn't.
    2) The romance. Again, sadly, the romance did not work for me at all in AotC. And no it is not the dialogue as such, it is the way the actors say the dialogue. To me, they don't sound like they mean what they say. So it comes across as forced or fake. In short I am TOLD that two people are in love but I don't SEE two people in love. This weakens RotS as the bond between Anakin and Padme did not work.
    3) The friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. TPM had next to nothing of this and AotC instead had the two act like they could barely stand each other. Again I did not see two good friends, I was just told that they were friends. Again props to RotS that it finally had something of a friendship between the two but again too little, too late.
    4) Finally RotS itself. The film has problems of it's own. It feels rushed, far too much has to happen in too short a time. At times it feels like a checkbox, this and so has to happen in order for the OT to work.
    Far too many lightsaber fights. At least one could have been removed and maybe two or three. Some did not even look very good, like Palaptine killing the three "red shirt" Jedi.
    Griev was a complete waste of time and character. He was uninteresting as a character and never felt like a credible threat. Mostly he ran away and when he stood his ground he got quickly beaten. Dooku was far more interesting and had more potential and he was underused in both films.
    Padme was given very little to do, she was more of a plot device. Anakin has to think she is in danger so he turns evil and then she has to die.
    The deleted rebellion plot might have good for her character.
    I am also not sold on her death, maybe having Anakin hurl her into a wall, injuring her and the wounds combined with giving birth was enough for her do die.
    The opening battle, while nice to look at and well made feels rather empty. Because there was no build up, no building of tension and there was no overall story or strategy to the fight. It was just lots of ships fighting. To me, it has nothing on the RotJ fight, which had better build up, there was several plots and stories running, one could understand the tactics involved and it kept building.
    Lastly, as I have rambled too long, the Jedi comes across as clueless and thus the tragedy of their deaths are weakened.

In closing, I do still like RotS but it has too many flaws for me to think it is great.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

24. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I can think of a good number of flaws for all six movies. After writing reviews for TPM, ANH and TESB; I was surprised at the number of flaws I found for these three movies. And I'm certain I will be finding more flaws in ROTJ, AOTC and ROTS. But SW is still my favorite sci-fi saga.

25. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    As an entire trilogy - the OT is my favorite. It has an amazing whimsical yet retro setting, and ends on a happy note.
    As a single movie - ROTS is my favorite.

Also I am reading the Attack of the Clones novelization and the romance is pretty awkward to me. It just seems rushed. Maybe because I'm comparing it to Han and Leia's romance where they had several movies to work out their feelings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.