main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Disney dare remake the original trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Zach

Jeff Zach Jedi Padawan star 3

Jun 7, 2013
    Disney World will build both Star Wars Land and Cars Land, which has been a huge hit at the California Adventure park. Star Wars Land will likely expand on the existing Star Tours, adding a Cantina-themed restaurant and possibly another ride. A source told TheForce.net that "most of the expansion will be environments and character meet-and-greet areas."
    Theme Park Insider believes development will take five years, meaning Star Wars Land would open sometime in 2018.

Disney does not have the time nor the land necessary to remake Star Wars. [face_plain]

2. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    we already have a remake of the A New Hope it's called Eragon.

There is actually no reason for them to make an actual remake. All they have to do is just rerelease the OT on the big screen in the unedited format and it will make a ton of money and it would cost them almost nothing.

The advantage of SW is that they can make new characters during new times with out it affecting the OT. They can't do that with Marvel characters so we will eventually get reboots of the Marvel movies but probably not until at least another 15 to 20 years.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I can tell you one reason: $$$

The day will come when Star Wars movies enter a dry phase and then rebooting the OT will look more and more tempting to Disney.

I think we'll get an unedited version of SW however as soon as they find a business solution for Fox owning ANH (probably involving the transaction of many moneys).

4. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    heres the thing. If Star Wars ever becomes unprofitable then rebooting it won't help. This is where Star Wars is unique compared to other franchises, you have an entire galaxy to make new stories.

With Marvel for example you only have a small time frame really before you have to recast. You have the Actors who will age and how many times can a Captain America fight the Red Skull. You end up running out of plot ideas. This is why Marvel comics have been rebooted so many times and Star Wars just picks a new time frame to make books and comics.

As long as they make new movies with interesting characters and stories we won't have to worry about them remaking the OT.

Honestly I could see them remaking the Prequels before they ever touched the OT.

kainee likes this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The OT will always be profitable. Maybe a remake would be a cheaper production, but it would still rake in some cash. The exorcist and planet of the apes got remade. Conan will get remade. All these movies are smaller than the OT.

I would be in favour of remaking the PT first, but from a business perspective it doesn't make as much sense. People go into remakes when they liked the original and the PT movies ain't as well received as their predecessors. Why would they remake the trilogy that isn't as well liked as the other?

Lets hope the new movies remain profitable so a OT remake won't become a necessity soon.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  6. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    It depends on the generation they we are talking about, I know alot of people who would be devastated if any of the Six Star Wars Movies were to be remade!

Revious Nugo and kainee like this.
  7. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i think it would be very unpopular and they just would not dare.....I for one would not go and see a Disney remake, after its independant trailblazing it would seem very wrong... after Ep9 I hope thats the end, except if they go way back into jedi/sith folklore and they can do what they want with that

8. Darth_Panicius

Darth_Panicius Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 7, 2013
    A lot of people will be devastated if any of the 6, especially the OT, are remade. Unfortunately, in 15-20 yrs time, there will be more people in the world that DON'T appreciate the OT the way we do. Therefore, if the franchise dries up, you could see a reboot.

9. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    if they make the ST it in the same SW style there would be little point in rebooting, anyways ill be too old to care by then, i often refuse to see remakes anyway, esp of my fave films, will never see the new Taking of pelham 123, Poiseddon adventure or psycho, some things are sacred :)

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Not saying it will happen soon, only that it will happen eventually.

11. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Sep 9, 2012
    I don't know, I'm 15 and I only know of 2 people who don't like the OT that much, due to it's age, the funny thing is that they are from the same family! I mostly know people who likes all 6 of the movies, and only one person my age who is an PT hater. It's funny, he never became a hater till he started going on the computer a lot, I can deal with people who don't like certain movies, but if you liked them before and then decide to jump on the bandwagon of hatred, then I get annoyed.

Revious Nugo and kainee like this.
  12. Darth_Panicius

Apr 7, 2013
    Sorry, I think you may have misunderstood my point. I was not saying people won't like the series, it is after all a classic story. However, there is a fundamental difference between liking something and appreciating something. Back in the 70s, Star Wars was not just a classic, it was groundbreaking. The technology that had to be developed to realise Lucas' vision inspired a whole new era in film making, and still does.

My point was that in 15-20 yrs time, there will be less appreciation for the film, and what it took to get it on the big screen.

13. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Sep 9, 2012
    I was trying to say that there are lots of fans who love both the OT and PT from my generation, but I get whee you are going with this, and you have a point.

14. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013

except there is no real reason to remake Star Wars.
    They don't remake classics like Cassiblanca because they stand the test of time. However they have remade classics like King Kong due to the limitations of the special FX.

The OT even in its original form still has amazing special effects that hold up today. The acting and script is equally as good, so you have to ask what could they add by doing a remake?

If fans stop carring about Star Wars (which I doubt they ever will.) then doing a remake won't help any.

Like I said before if they ever want to make a new Star Wars they have an entire galaxy to make a new Star Wars story. They are not limited in anyway to the Galactic Civil war. This is something that is unquie to Star Wars. If you want to make say a Robin Hood or Batman movie well then you are limited to time period, location and characters. You don't have this problem with Star Wars.

15. Darth_Panicius

Apr 7, 2013
    You're preaching to the choir here. I personally would not want to see any of the series remade.

However, the original question was "Could Disney dare remake the movies?". Unfortunately, the answer to that question is yes. There are instances where they would consider rebooting the franchise. IF the franchise ran out of legs (a la Star Trek), then rebooting would be an option.

16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    As long as the originals are made available, Remakes, Reboots or Re-imaginings don't scare me.

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Moving to CT. Late, yes. :p

18. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Obviously they could re-boot the the classic trilogy - but why would they. For me, Star Wars was probably the first film to cross all spectrums of society, even those that haven't seen the films still get the cultural references to the main charaters and Ewoks, Jabba etc alongside terms such as "the force" and "jedi". It was also the first film series to really exploit the marketing/merchandise potential. Due to this I just don't see the Ep i-vi being re-booted.

Although I could imagine additional footage coming to light and extra footage being inserted as per the special editions. I wonder will we see 20th anniversary special editions of ep i-iii? With the volume of CGI in all three, it could be quite seamlessly inserted.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    They will probably do it when George Lucas drops dead, knowing Disney. Ugh!

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    There was zero need to remake Planet of the Apes and the Exorcist as well because those movies still look pretty good. But it still happened. And those films are classics in my book.

There's even some talk about making another Blade Runner.

21. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    It won't work with Star Wars and here's why: Remakes are for characters that exist and really just bounce around from one story to another with very little continuity between the films. Superheroes are perfect for remakes, as is a character like James Bond. It also works with Star Trek because while there was some continuity among the original Star Trek movies (especially numbers 2-4), it's still a setting where the characters just bounce from one dilemma to the next to the next. So you just remake the characters and give them a brand new dilemma to conquer.

But the original trilogy of Star Wars is one long storyline. There is the same villain(s) that permeates all 3 films. A remake just wouldn't work. You can't just take Luke, Han and Leia and drop them into a situation where they have a brand new bad guy to deal with.

kainee likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Enter planet of the apes. It's also one long storyline with characters who appear in multiple films. And ... it got remade.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    That's a good example, but I don't consider that a remake along the lines of what we are talking about here. We're talking about taking characters we all know and love and remaking them entirely. The Planet of the Apes remake didn't use the same characters or settings as the original. It was really an entirely different movie that happened to have the same title. I mean, you could say they did the same thing when they remade The Karate Kid about 5 years ago but again, it was entirely different characters and an entirely different setting.

Any attempt to remake Star Wars using Han, Luke, Leia, etc, just wouldn't work for the reason outlined above.

24. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Just to throw my 2 cents into the mix, I believe that the original trilogy -indeed, maybe even the entire saga from PT to ST- will inevitably be re-made, however it will be when we here are all either super-old or dead.

25. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Knowing hollywood, i guess it's just a matter of time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.