main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    Yes, but did they contradict the EU?:p

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    While I'm too young to be saying any of this definitively, I'd say the state of quality television has never been higher than it has in the past five years. Here's hoping it only gets better, and more varied.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

DAMMIT WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You know, I'm just going to add an entry to the auto-filter that replaces "Duros" with PANTS.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'd agree, but given the quality of most television series prior to that point, it's not exactly a difficult achievement.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, come on, MASH was awesome. :p

edit: also, past five years? Frasier, West Wing, Rome, Band of Brothers, Sopranos... :p

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Agreed, though I think it's very noteworthy that, for the first time in cinematic history, the writing level of some of the better TV series is arguably as good as, if not better than what the film industry is doing. Only a few years ago, no one in their right mind would prefer something like A Song of Ice and Fire adapted for television over film; now the former has become a viable, and for many people preferable option.

Jello, past ten to fifteen years then, if you'd prefer, but I'd still argue the last few years have only built on past successes. Oh, and shame on you for leaving out The Wire :p

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It's aged better than other products from its decade, I'll give it that.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jello: you're right at least to a point; after a long period of time in which I could have said without much exaggeration that I had not been familiar with any TV show produced after 1998, I have recently discovered some great shows in the form of The Big Bang Theory and Community, and I've got TF.N to thank for that. I also just added Parks and Recreation to my Netflix queue after reading so much praise for that one.

I was mainly referring to the proliferation of reality TV which has infected our programming like some horrible virus since the turn of the century and has even spread to our cable channels (the History Channel? Really???). I think that phenomenon has done more to degrade the quality of our programs than anything else.

As far as news, I've got the apps for Le Monde and El Mundo on my phone along with BBC; it's fun to read what they aren't reporting here. Plus it helps me to stay trilingual.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am getting so many necro-likes from that Duros thread I went back and re-read it; comedy gold.

Barriss_Coffee and Ulicus like this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, no matter how many great TV series are made, Sturgeons Law is always there, watching you while you sleep. So it's only natural that for every Breaking Bad or Mad Men, you'll get a Jersey Shore or Two and a Half Men (sorry, couldn't resist). That's why I don't watch TV, at least not how most do; I just watch the shows that I know will be good, and then never when they air.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't watched a TV show when it aired since about 2006.

Even when I religiously watched Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice and didn't have a DVR, I taped them.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    a_g: Well, you already know how I feel about BBT lol, but I'm glad you like Community. I haven't seen the latest season, but the earlier stuff is great. Parks continues to be hilarious.

heh. To this day it still blows my mind that it's a TV series, and that the characters from it are now household names. It's crazy. :p

Only 'cause I haven't scene it, despite being constantly told it's the best show ever. Everyone and their mother liking a thing is a way to make me not want to watch it, which is why I'll never watch Dr. Who :p

That said, I might watch The Wire eventually... I'm just not big on police procedurals and stuff.

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I promise you, it's so much more than that.

It's just unbelievably well written.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I like how you say that on a Star Wars forum :p

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    This is going to make me sound like a flippin' hipster, but I liked it before I knew it was popular.

Shut up.

That's what I've been told... and I guess I just need to sit down and try it. Problem is I have so many other shows to keep up with already, and unless I got paid full time to just watch TV (sweet!) time is a huge barrier to getting into another big drama.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    "I was a miner when it was underground".

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

19. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's great! [face_laugh]

Car talk plus anecdotes. Good times.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I've been meaning to. I guess I'll start!

krtmd likes this.
  22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'd love to see what that would do to say a Balance Point discussion thread...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    haha oh my god, I've always preferred puppies to kitties but that's just adorable

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Jerry Lawler would have a field day with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.