main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    ...You severely overestimate my ability to make that hilarious.

2. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Wait, what? Maz hasn't burned through any of his other spell-likes by using Dimension Door. He gets three uses of each, I'm pretty sure... Not 'you can use one three times, or all of them once.'

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Hrrmmmm ... the wording is a little inconsistent: paring back to the FRCS, it says in relation to drow "Spell-like abilities 1/day -- dancing lights, darkness and faerie fire." (I know Mazarun has different abilities and numbers of uses, but that's the core of it). I'd understood that functioned like a sorcerer's "magazine"; you could use any of those spells but only once per day.

Still, a quick flick through opinions online reveals it's generally interpreted as you say: 3 uses per ability, not 3 in total. Some abilities (on a Duskblade) apparently have a "3+INT uses of X total per day" which is closer to what I had in mind, so I'll accept the interpretation as posed. Sorry about that, Rilwen. :)

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Dang it. Not getting alerts for some reason. I'll reply once I get the chance to catch up. But to move Z along, he'll heal those that need it using the feats mentioned by LW + the Healing Spirit.

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

5. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Rilwen, that was either one awesome original contribution or one of the best placements of an appropriate poem I've seen in a long, long time. Sent chills down my spine.

6. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Okay, so it was 1d3 Medium water elementals. I got lucky, and rolled three first go. Giving those three their marching orders before trying to call any more, since I might want to summon the next lot closer to a different fire for ease of extinguishing.

(And if you know which book the verses come from in the post, well done!;))

EDIT: Thanks, Saint!:DFound it in a book I'm fond of and it seemed to suit.;)

7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Rereading it for awesomeness, the line I actually liked best out of that post was this one:

He could hear it, now, with everything that he was. The music was insistent, beckoning, coaxing, reaching out tendrils of his will to draw forth those he sought into this world. For him, they would listen; for the power he bore, they would hear him.

That, I'm assuming, was not drawn from the poem. Again, big props to you, Rilwen. I would've stuffed around for four paragraphs to try and convey the same thing with that one line and still not have gotten it right. Speaking only for me, and I'm no expert, but that's beautiful stuff.

Ktala likes this.
  8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Quick note, guys, I've been pretty busy with work the last few days, so no update right now. Hopefully have something for you in the next 48 hours or so.

9. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    While we wait for the update, this might amuse some people:
    [​IMG]
    Made for me by a friend. Seriously, look at this grumpy little guy![face_tee_hee]

10. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    hehehe. Love the pic!!

11. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Right, update is up and assumes Sacred Healing has gone through its full extent, i.e. 6 rounds have passed. Other healing spells and whatnot applied. Note that Inspire Courage is on those charts because I couldn't be bothered subtracting 6 from everyone's details, but it has actually run out: Evelios's saber has stopped harmonising, so he needs to spend another IC to start it up again, not to mention another Inspirational Boost. All other spell durations are adjusted down correctly.

You've got five rounds before the first Red Hand troops reach your position.

12. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Might as well pop a sacred healing on the NPCs while they're still here. Skadi is going to spend one round tossing her last Air Walk on Zanaek so everyone can mobilize if necessary, and cast Bull's Strength on herself. Might cast Mass Shield of Faith, possibly spending an AP to boost the caster level to 12 for the extra AC bonus, depending on how many people are here.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    For clarification purposes, my SUPER LOUD YO spell affects all of my speech, not just Inspire Courage, right? Meaning it could be incorporated with, say, various speech-related skills?

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    What are you intending to do with it?

15. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    I wish I'd known about Resounding Voice a long while back, it would have been so handy for one of my bards.

On looking it up, though, it has this to say.

"The subject becomes supernaturally loud, and his voice carries over long distances.
    A creature speaking or singing with the aid of resounding voice can be heard clearly up to 100 feet away per caster level.
    Creatures within an area of magical silence cannot hear the subject, and a subject within a silence effect cannot be heard at all.
    Resounding voice counters and dispels silence and is also countered and dispelled by silence."

So it looks like half the city can hear everything you have to say. :p

Also, William's actions! In the five rounds we have, he will:

- Cast Mass Fire Shield on party
    - Cast Haste on party, Extended via rod
    - Cast Enlarge Person on Skadi
    - Cast Greater Invisibility on Corrath, Persisted via AP, and recall it via other AP
    - Cast Greater Invisibility on self, Persisted via AP

And then, all unseen, he will head to the gate, hovering above head height, and ready his Cone of Cold scroll to unleash juuuuust as soon as enough mooks are within range.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Mostly point out to our amigos on the other side of the walls that attacking a city being defended by a bunch of adventurers who have killed - what, five? - dragons and keep coming back for more, as well as a fighting force trained by one of the most brilliant tactical minds the Realms have ever known (Okay, bit of an exaggeration there), is an exceptionally poor stratagem.

Mostly because I've got about five rounds of prep time and really only need one-two rounds to fire off my most important actions.

17. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Three dragons and a behir. Plus several Wyrmlords. :D

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, if you want to go Brian Blessed on the Red Hand, yep, go right ahead. :D

Also, Cass, just for clarification: is William moving to above the outer gate, or the shattered inner gate?

19. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    I'd forgotten there were two gates. [face_blush]

He'll go for the outer. That way it might buy everyone else a few extra moments to get into position, and he'll be invisible and flying so's to get out of the way of any random attacks.

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    How many rounds do I have left on the Healing Spirit?

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    None. it tapped out during the six rounds or so. I did use it for four healings on the party...

22. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Out of curiosity, how big is the area between the two walls?
    And...
    How wide are the gates themselves?

**Guys..you think a little fog might be useful here?**
    :p

23. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Fog's not really such a great idea, it'll get in our way too and then we'll all be fighting blind.

We can always block off the gap somehow, or part of it, so we get a nice small area to fight them in as they come through. Funnel them in, etc. Anyone got any decent Wall spells that don't require concentration? Iron or Stone or the like?

24. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Well...Airel still carrying many of those tanglefoot bags... If they have to come through a narrow enough of a passage way..that should slow em down..I guess.

Just dont wanna trap any party folks there either...

:)

25. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Drop them just outside the outer gate? If the party takes their stand at the inner gate, William and Ariel can slow the horde down briefly with freezer burn and tanglefoot bags and buy the others a precious few seconds to finish prepping.