main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    He's a BIG fan. He chose to lecture about Star Wars because of his love for it, and he's referenced Star Wars in other interviews and public appearances as well. Rumor is that this is one of the reasons he got the job.

Also, for you conspirators in Arndt's disappearance....
    [​IMG]

We're onto you. :)

2. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks, Pro Scoundrel. I am very happy to hear that...[face_relieved]I think that love and connection to the whole "feel" of SW is so important in increasing the chances for a great Ep VII. I'm hoping that Abrams's admitted lack of pre-existing connection to Star Trek (and maybe also a lack of connection/Trek love on the part of the screenwriters for those films, though I don't know anything about them) explains my overall disappointment with those two films. Not to derail this topic here, as I know there's another thread for Abrams-related discussion, but even though I thought the two Abrams Trek films were ok as in-the-moment entertainment at the time, ultimately they had sort of a "generic" feel to me and didn't have that sometimes indefinable quality of "heart" that would make me remember them as special films as the years go on. I'm not as big of a Trek fan as I am a SW fan, but as a Trek fan I feel the Abrams Trek films are sliding into somewhat generic action films and too far away from Roddenberry's original vision for the franchise.

3. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    For whatever its worth, the people who made the Land of the Lost movie were said to have been a big fans and loved the show......

Just sayin'....:mad:

4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Oh no, just when I was starting to feel really hopeful...[face_laugh] Seriously though, you raise an interesting point. Even just from reading posts around the JCF, it's clear that there are quite a few different varieties of SW fans and that people are fans for sometimes very different reasons and often have very different tastes outside of the SW commonality.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It's a bit long, and broken into 4 parts, but here's another good example of why Arndt has the right attitude about writing in general. His segment is toward the end. Some good stories in these.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well it's good to have visual evidence that Arndt's a real person. :p Serious though the more I listen to him talk the more I get excited to see what he has in store for all of us. This is why I really want an interview with the guy because I'm so interested to hear his opinion on where the story is going post-ROTJ and what elements are the most important to further explore. I know he wouldn't reveal anything crucial but to just listen to his thoughts on it for a few minutes would be fascinating to me.

eht13, Pro Scoundrel and LunarMoth like this.
  7. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Rumor has it the new Start Wars film will be about the Binary Stars, the movie might be called Little Miss Sunshines. ;)

8. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Sounds like the right guy for the job. Interesting to hear him discuss the process in the context of working with a number of writers.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    So, anyone wanna bet that Arndt is writing Episodes 8 & 9 as well. His IMDB page doesn't have him listed for any jobs after Episode 7, and at the schedule they have for these films the turn over will have to be fast. Makes sense to me that he could already be working on the other scripts, just to keep up.

10. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Very possible, it will probably depend on how VII is recieved

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not sure that they'll have time to wait and see. Episode 8 is scheduled for 2017, so they'd have to be working on it before Episode 7 comes out.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I definitely think Arndt is on board for Episode VIII and IX with the help of Kasdan and Kinberg and any other writers they haven't named yet. I think they most likely have the entire trilogy in atleast outline form and they'll get started on the other two right after VII is finished. I certainly won't complain if Arndt is the main writer for the ST.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That is, until he brings back Maul, Vader, and Palpatine. :D

Dra--- and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    If that happens I'll just throw him into a deeper hole than Disney has him in right now! :p

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Nah we'll blame Lucas cause the script is based off his outline ;-)

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    We'll blame Lucas for everything. Zombie apocalypse... Lucas.

mavjade , Darth_Pevra, eht13 and 4 others like this.
  17. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    You may laugh now....but its coming.

18. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Lucas is a good idea man, he just needs someone to check his ideas and tell him no. Have you guys seen the rough draft of ROTJ? My goodness, force ghost ressurections and lava and oh my...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    Lucas brought forth the idea of resurrecting Maul on Clone Wars so I still want to hug him on occasion like he's Santa Claus.

Wouldn't mind seeing him written into the sequels. Probably a strong chance of that not happening though I would guess.

*crosses fingers for appeareances in Rebels*

20. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I'll bet that. Story by George Lucas and Screenplay by Michael Arndt. As I recall, and I'm not going to find it, but I thought they said he wrote a 15 page treatment for each of the Episodes. That is he submitted a 45-50 page treatment for the trilogy. I think 110-120 pages is a script. I could be incorrect.

21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

They've probably already started working on Episode VIII and IX in terms of the script.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Here you go. http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/nex...-by-hunger-games-sequel-scribe-michael-arndt/

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  23. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    You shame me...I'm so lazy... And thanks. It's interesting they say he's the only screenwriter and he was hired by Lucasfilm a long time ago. I know there are quite a few voices in the conferences. The same I read about TS3. They have to align the SW universe. Make sure there's no unreasonable gaps in the various films in the pipeline. Last, what does say that Kinserg is one of the producers on Rebels, if the above assumption is true? Is his first standalone screenplay based in that same era? I can't help but wonder.

24. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    So, Arndt wrote a lengthy treatment for all three movies. Guess I missed that bit of info. Do we know how many pages Lucas' outline was, then? Just wondering how much of the story comes directly from Lucas. Of course, we may never know that for sure...

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    My guess is that they worked on it together since it was Kennedy and Lucas who hired Michael Arndt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.