main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Doesn't matter, the current royal family is descended from William I several times over, not just through Edward IV.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah but if we want to go that way, they are also descended from Genghis Khan ;)

3. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    And Muhammad, through a moorish princess, so I've heard.

... So what? :p

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Queen Anne left no descendents; George I was a Hanover from Germany and incidentally, also not an English-speaker.

The link to William I is there but I think it's tenuous now.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, it's still direct enough that they can chart it straight through. They've had to bounce around, and a lot of lines had just ended like you said, but that's in the nature of things. Having one line last that long is impossible, unless you do a crazy concubine system like the Japanese did in order to make up for fertility issues or all-girl generations.

Ulicus likes this.
  6. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    The question has been debated, but no conclusive proof has been offered, and short of having DNA tests run on the remains of Edward IV and Richard of York, there would be no other way to know. In any case, Gorefiend, Edward was descended from William I through both of his parents, as Cecily of York was the daughter of Joan Beaufort, the illegitimate daughter of Prince John of Gaunt, Edward III's fourth son. Edward IV is included as a member of the senior royal line of direct descent from William I to Elizabeth II, so even if he was not Richard of York's son, the direct line still would run through Edward III, John of Gaunt, Joan Beaufort, and Cecily to him and from him to Elizabeth.

AnakinFan, Here's a page that shows it all, if you're confused about the various relationships: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_of_Elizabeth_II_from_William_the_Conqueror

The senior direct royal line is shown first and then it goes on to show other relations.

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

I know, I know, still fun to think that the actual King should be this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Abney-Hastings,_15th_Earl_of_Loudoun

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah although tbh it is established that Parliament can set aside the strict rules of royal succession (witness what happened to the Stuarts) so these guys have no actual retroactive claim, so there's no CK2 style shenanigans that can go on here :p

9. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    WHat I really found interesting in that link I posted was that several Kings of England before William, including the man he defeated, Harold II, also passed on their bloodline to the later Kings.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah we seem to only keep the royalty around for the sake of tourism anyway and of course so the Sun will always have something to write about.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I will never, ever understand this interest in royalty. Outside of Crusader Kings II, at least.

CooperTFN likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Really?

[​IMG]

The outfits, man, the outfits!

Also Princess Anne is a ****ing boss:

[​IMG]

13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    What you don't realise is that the royals are directly tied to the health of the land, and they secretly defend us all from the supernatural.

Or at least I like to think so.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    No, you're thinking of Hellboy.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Hellboy isn't real, silly.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I know! I'm practically gagging from the pompousness of them from here :D

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You will wish your death were instant, as you will be drawn and quartered for lèse majesté.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You think that picture's bad? If you could see their legs you'd realize they're standing on a carpet made of poor people.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, they wanted their furnishings to be 100% all-natural. It's more environmentally sustainable, you know.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
  21. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    The Capetian Kings actually had an unbroken line from father to eldest (surviving) son from 996, when Robert I succeeded his father, Hugh, until John I Posthumous died at the age of 5 days in 1316, so the French actually did better than the English for a while. It only took 34 years from William I's coronation to have a King succeeded by his brother rather than a son (William II and Henry I). Still, the UK is probably one of the oldest surviving monarchies left in the world.

This Regnal_number article has a rather interesting section on the British monarchs and how regnal numbers would be used for future rulers. After James I became King, he was known as James VI and I, but William IV was not called William III in Scotland.

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    So is like a quarter of Earth.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Being a United Statesican, I love that not only did the Founding Fathers originally plan to just pick someone to be King, there's a handful of "rightful heirs to the throne of America" that are running about on the Internet.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Which was the point of the comment :)

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.