main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Don't forget the Nightbrothers Maul and Savage, too.

2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Pssshhhh, that will be an excuse for the protagonist to yell "THRAAAAWWWWNNNN!!!" at some point in overly dramatic fashion.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Ressurected Palpatine and his new apprentice Darth Thrawn

4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    maybe it would have been more interesting if we had to wait for Obi's revenge until the beginning of AOTC. Then Dooku could have emerged soon after since he was already a trained Jedi and Palps wouldn't need to train him much. Then we would have felt more tension and drama at the end of TPM and during our wait for AOTC.

But I digress...

5. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    maybe I missed it in this thread or another, but has anyone brought up the possibility that Palpatine might have had a son, who by the time of the ST, would be ready to emerge, or already causing trouble in the period between ROTJ and VII?

I know people may not like this idea because it could seem cliche, but it's not farfetched. In fact, it's probably more realistic than most of our speculations to date. Why wouldn't Palpatine have a son? He's planned this super elaborate rise to power, and he doesn't, like most monarchs, have plans to keep it in the family?

Perhaps he wouldn't have planned this sort of thing because he viewed passing power to an apprentice as a symbolic kind of fatherhood. But even then, this doesn't rule out the possibility that he wouldn't have had a son anyway. I think it's reasonable to assume copulation with a woman, unless he was asexual or swung the other way, took place.

Perhaps he has an angry, neglected son who he tried to keep ignorant of his identity. But maybe this son, being strong in the force, discovered who his father was and wants to show him up or live up to his reputation?

I think I like this idea. Thoughts?

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Palpatine wanted to rule for life. For a 1000 years. No kids.

7. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That's in the films though?

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    ROTS Novelization.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I would prefer that to Plagueis. I would rather a brand new character unconnected to previous villains, but as far as characters with a connection I think a son would work.

Sean Sinclair and Dra--- like this.
  10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Right. I don't think that would stop JJ and company if that's what they wanted.

By the way, how would Palpatine plan on ruling for 1,000 years? The dark side allows him to live that long?

And: what does the novel, not that I consider it unbreakable canon, say about Palpatine having a child? Anything?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd imagine clone bodies and soul transfer to live for a thousand years and single leader for life. Why would he want another person to possibly rise up that would have a legitimate claim to the throne?

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I would definitely prefer a son to clones and soul transfers

Sean Sinclair, Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I think that's a legit problem with the son possibility. Then again, lots of sons are born without their father's wanting them or their knowledge.

14. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Well my first thought is "blllluuuuuggh-" followed with no further thoughts, because my brain refuses to imagine something so horrifying. Personally, I'd sooner ship General Grievous with anyone than Darth Sidious lol. Palpatine is definitely not a typical monarch, or for that matter, typical human. I think he's some kind of undead monstrosity.

I don't buy any attempts to humanize Sidious, since he's a character that's supposed to be evil from birth. If he actually had a family, the concept wouldn't have been one alien to him that it warranted mocking. He's also narcissist to a degree where whatever he's attracted to if anything, is probably horrifying and unconventional, like statutes of himself.

He successfully killed every apprentice he had. Not exactly passing on power.

15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    So he planned on living forever?

16. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    So people still think Darth Sidious is dead?

He's not, trust me.

17. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Despite the EU, I don't think it's implied in the movies that Palpatine had a normal human life span. He has the skills and wisdom to match Yoda in combat, and Yoda is 900 years old. Also, Palpatine's appearance is pretty inhuman and ancient. I think he was already cheating death somehow.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    If this is the case, then I think it makes his return more likely. If humanish, then the son plot could work.

19. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Why not a daughter plot? And perhaps Palpy had kids with Talzin (or some other T-canon female). We'll see.

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    So what? Obi-Wan beat an older Maul, Anakin beat an older Dooku, Luke beat an older Vader, Vader beat an older
    Obi-Wan. Vader killed an older Sidious. And so on. Age doesn't give much advantage in Star Wars.

I could take Plagueis returning, but Sidious cheating death would be one of the few situation were I'd be tempted to leave the cinema. I don't want Palpatine be turned into a silly comic book or horror movie villain. Those are never as threatening anyway the second or third or umpteenth time around.

VanishingReality likes this.
  21. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm thinking a dark Jedi with links to the Empire... Maybe Darth Nefarious or Darth Sphincter.

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Or like Jango Fett had done, order the cloning of an unaltered replicant, perhaps?

But, yeah, a natural born child is extremely overlooked here. Why not, right? It makes sense that he could, no?

Unless my theory is right and Sith have no libido.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Jedi have libido, so I'd think Sith have too.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Anakin aside, how do we know that Jedi have libido?

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Luke didn't seem to lack libido as well in TESB. I am also not sure why the force would take away the sex drive. It would seem ... weird for a power that binds the entire universe together.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.