main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Do you think a reboot is inevitable?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StoneRiver, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Would a reboot be....?

1. A good thing

10 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. A bad thing

38 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. An interesting decision

17 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. ignored

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. not actually happening

49 vote(s)
    42.2%
  1. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Nice reference to ancient SNL! You're giving your age away. ;)

Anyway, people are afraid this series is going to hell and a reboot is simply a desperate cry for help. Lets calm down and wait and see what Abrams will do....
    OH! [face_thinking]

Sean Sinclair and DarthBoba like this.
  2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    fixed ;)

I'm not afraid ;)

aguywithabiggun likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    "You will be. You will be." :p

aguywithabiggun and StoneRiver like this.
  4. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Worked pretty well for Batman. I like the Burton and Nolan versions. I wouldn't mind if they tossed the ST aside and started over with a new OT. That may sound like blasphemy to some, but I don't care. At the end of the day, they're just movies.

5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Just movies? JUST BLOODY MOVIES????

:p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    Star Trek had some bad series before the rebooot. We are safe.

7. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Ha! Okay, okay. Star Wars is the foundation of all our lives. :)

8. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I don't see the point in rebooting SW and confusing the hell out of people when you can just make new stories set in all kinds of different eras with vast arrays of new characters. All you have to do is put the Star Wars name on the poster and the film will sell. Of course, in about a decade or so from now the excitement will die and things will get stale, but I don't understand how a reboot can honestly fix that.

I think that because of all the reboots, sequels, prequels, remakes and spin-offs Hollywood is making right now, the market will eventually become over-saturated and big blockbuster popcorn franchise movies will no longer generate the same revenue they are right now. Then, the entire industry will implode and people will go back to watching grounded, more character-driven and dramatic indie films that aren't tied to franchises. I seriously believe this will happen before a Star Wars reboot is even considered.

The Star Trek reboot used a time-travel plot device to set the story in an alternate timeline while still rendering all previous content as canon. It doesn't count as a full-force reboot.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That's exactly why they WOULD reboot. The OT characters are iconic.

10. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    they remade Psycho frame for frame once nothing seems to be sacred!!!

11. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I don't know why people keep bringing up Superman and Batman. Once again, those characters and their mythologies existed before they were re-imagined on film. That's all those movies are. Whether it's Donner's Superman, Burton's Batman, Nolan's Batman... they are all just various interpretations of a mythology that already existed. Batman Begins rebooted the Batman film franchise, not the Batman mythology. You can't re-write the Batman mythology because it's something that's bigger than film.

Once again, Star Wars was born on film. If you are to reboot the film franchise, then you are essentially re-writing the mythology as well.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Many would say that the prequels already did that.

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

Nothing's sacred if there's $$$ to be made. Same equation with a SW reboot I'd say.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    You're right. They did. And look at the response to those.

15. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Though inspired by serials, Star Wars, that is Episodes I-VI, are finite. Something like Trek or even Indiana Jones is much more infinite with the characters. Now there is a whole other galaxy of possible interesting characters outside of Skywalker's circle of friends.

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Not really. The start of ANH is where the prequels end, and barring people's own personal opinions of how they might have been, ultimately arrive with all the preconditions of the OT met.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    Nah you could definitely argue that the prequels attempt to re-write the mythology because they contained characters, ideas, and story events that kind of put the originals in a new type of context. Midichlorians for example.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Midichlorians have been around since 1977; Lucas just didn't mention them outside of explaining things to EU writers per Making of ANH, and it's been argued plenty of times that there's a strong biology-based aspect to the Force in the OT to begin with. FWIW I don't feel that anything we hear in the OT about the clone wars/Vader/Leia's mother/etc is concrete enough to really say that the prequels necessarily redefined a whole lot; Vader is still Luke's father, there's still an Empire and that Empire is still evil, Palpatine still manipulated the galaxy into giving him dictatorial powers, and so on.

19. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    I don't care what's been "argued". The original films never hinted that the force was biological.

The prequels attempted to redefine plenty. Darth Vader is no longer a man seduced by the devil, but a man duped by the devil. Obi-Wan took Anakin under his wing out of obligation, not out of friendship or curiosity as implied in Jedi. Lest we forget the biggest retcon of all, the jedi prophecy. And there's plenty more.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

It would be quite incorrect to think that the originals never hinted that the Force had a biological aspect. Given the number of times Luke's family is described as being "strong in the Force". And then there's Lucas' 19977 "they have more midichlorians and their brains are different" quote about Force users in the Making Of Star Wars.

It's not really a "retcon" to say that Anakin is the subject of a prophecy when there was no statement whether he was special or not beforehand. If it had been said Anakin was not the subject of a prophecy in the OT, that would be a retcon, or retroactive continuity, as it'd actually be changing anything.

Duped/seduced can easily be taken as the same thing. There's no definition of seduction that suggests you're actually going to be getting anything out of the process.

I'll give you Obi-Wan didn't train Anakin out of friendship, but ultimately it has no affect on the end of ROTS, where Obi-Wan and Anakin do fight and Obi-Wan nearly kills him, nor does it have an affect on anything in the OT. You could say taking anything Obi-Wan says about Anakin in the OT is window dressing for Luke, too, given that he's either a) lying for Luke's benefit in ANH and TESB or b) explaining his actions in ROTJ.

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Things can be forced to 'work', but that's not the same thing as them working naturally and ringing true. As these issues have all been discussed many, many times, that's all I'm going to say at this stage.

Sean Sinclair and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  22. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The movies went so far off track after Empire, I would not only be okay with it, I would be delighted to see a reboot happen.

23. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Shame I couldn't vote for 2. "A bad thing" and "never gonna happen", certainly not in my lifetime hopefully.

24. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    I had absolutely no knowledge of any quote about midichlorians during the making of Star Wars. And even if it were true, the fact is the idea didn't make it into the film... or it's sequels.

The force being "strong" in the Skywalker family doesn't imply it's biological or genetic. It's something more than that. Something that can't be pinpointed or measured. Something mythic. It is the same reason why both Peyton Manning and Eli Manning were good enough to be pro level quarterbacks. Something was handed down to them from their father, but it's not something that can be understood via scientific analysis. It's something beyond the physical.

Whatever you want to call it, retcon or not a retcon... it is something that tremendously alters your perspective on what was an existing mythology.

- A man takes to drugs because it provides an easy escape from his troubles.
    - A man takes to drugs because he is tricked into believing it will save his loved ones.

Not the same thing.

25. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    dont mean we have to watch it tho, therefore no dollars....or in my case...pounds