main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Do you think a reboot is inevitable?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StoneRiver, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Would a reboot be....?

1. A good thing

10 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. A bad thing

38 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. An interesting decision

17 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. ignored

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. not actually happening

49 vote(s)
    42.2%
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The reboot is inevitable, it's only a matter of when, not if.

I'm hoping it's sometime after I die.

2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i know this is probably the wrong thread for this statement, but have you considered the sheer longevity of this thing...i was 6 when i saw ANH and i will be 43 when 7 comes out, possibly late 40's with episode 9 comes out....no other cinematic expressions come close its a generational thing in narrative and for the audience (ill be taking my kids)

StoneRiver and darklordoftech like this.
  3. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    I would launch a Kickstarter campaign and lead Star Wars fans in buying the series so it can be laid to rest if there is ever reboot talk completely unnecessary and quite frankly heresy.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We're about the same age and yes, I've considered it. That's a big reason why I think a reboot would need to wait until, say, 2077 if it's going to happen. Make sure those of us who saw it in its original run are no longer around to care.

5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm a teacher and it continues to amaze year that year after year I have students coming though who love Star Wars. Not just the new stuff, but the original films as well. Says a fair bit about the universal appeal of this story doesn't it?

But yes, not really on topic...

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  6. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    25000 years to play with. You are not planning to live forever?

7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Aw, man! I love that duel!

Yes! Star Wars IS that sacred!:)

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm gonna go with "Maybe". It's up there with "Godfather", "Gone with the Wind", & "Citizen Kane" or "E.T." for simple cinematic iconography, but it is a brand that Disney owns and they'll try to wring as much profit out of it as possible. And I never thought anyone else would play Captain Kirk and Spock but that did happen. It does, however, seem more likely that they'll just keep cranking out "Episodes", maybe do a 100 year jump like "Next Generation" just to keep the brand alive, as opposed to flat-out remaking Episode 4-6.

9. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    So by that logic, because the medium the "mythology" was born on was film, if they retell the story with different actors but still do it on film, then it automatically replaces the PT, OT, and ST? Not in my world, if they were to retell on film, I'd have two versions of the same "mythology", happily both on film.

My own take on it is that Star Wars in itself is not a myth and is actually already a retelling of classic human mythology. So using your logic of "reboot the film franchise, then you are essentially re-writing mythology" then surely it can be said that that is exactly what SW already did in 1977? It's just they changed the names and locations? (Oh, and instead of etching it onto stone tablets or writing it on parchment, the did it on film).

And judging by your other arguments regarding the PT already rewriting the mythology of SW, wouldn't it be better to have a retelling of the entire saga that actually starts at #1 rather than in the middle of said "myth"? I doubt any of the problems you've listed above would exist in the reboot (if they were to do such a thing).

And how did that work out for the franchise? ;)

Darth Archimage likes this.
  10. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    do not understand this view of not liking that duel, its beautiful

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  11. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I definetly think Disney will milk the SW movies like MGM milks the Bond movies. After 7,8,9, it wouldn't suprise me to see them eventually make a trilogy of movies BETWEEN the OT and ST from the Thrawn Trilogy with younger actors portraying Luke, Leia and Han as to what Paramount did with the Star Trek movies that recently came out.

I think as long as fans keep seeing SW movies and they keep making money (merchandising is a big part), then it will never stop. I for one am only married to the ST, and everything else I could care less about. I have never cared much for the Clone Wars Cartoons, nor could care less about Standalone movies that Disney is talking about, but I strongly believe there is a fanbase out there that will pretty much see anything in the SW universe and that is what Disney is banking on.

12. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Happily? See this is what I don't understand. Why would anyone even want the originals to be remade?

And even if they are, do you honestly believe that the remakes are going to have anywhere NEAR the same type of success? There's no point in trying to re-create that magic because it can't be done.

13. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree there isn't a need for them to be remade. But I'm not gonna be sad about it when (if) the time comes. :)

14. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013

I have to admit I'm a bit split on this one. Part of my want's the originals left alone, but another part of me would like to see them redone. In my opinion there may not be anyone with a greater imagination than Lucus, but I think there are many who can tell stories better. I would love to have a great story teller pick his brain and get his original ideas on paper -- and have movies made from that.

And if they are remade, do you honestly know that the remakes aren't going to have the same type of success? There's no point in trying to ask this question because nobody knows.

15. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Actually I think it's a foregone conclusion. I can say with 100% certainty that a remade Star Wars trilogy wouldn't share a fraction of the success that the originals had. The original movie was a cultural phenomenon that no one could have possibly predicted. You can't just try and capture that lightning again with a remake. I'm sorry, it's not possible.

16. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Nothing is inevitable, and quite frankly Disney would be much better off focusing on new stories rather than rehashing existing ones. A reboot wouldn't have the same positive results as the originals; not even close. If I was the one responsible for Disney's direction with Star Wars, I would emphasize that in order to keep Star Wars popular with new and existing fans, it needs to focus on fresh material. Time will tell.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. JStepp

Jun 10, 2011
    Star trek the Next Generation was very successful it both lasted longer and had more viewers then the originals. Hell I can still turn on the television and watch episodes today.

18. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

yes, it worked for a while, I would even go as far as saying that Next Generation actually reinvigorated the franchise leading to more movies. But then they did that Scott Bakula version and didn't that basically kill off the franchise, leading to, dare I say it, the reboot in 2009? Hell, I can even turn on the television and watch episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise today (not that I would want to lol) but the franchise was still rebooted. ;)

19. JStepp

Jun 10, 2011

I am just talking about the Star Trek Next Generation. Star Trek Enterprise was a prequel and would best be compared to the Star Wars Prequels.

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Obviously, it won't happen anytime soon, and that is as it should be.

In the future? Maybe.

I wouldn't mind seeing one or 2 of them rebooted many years from now, after the next trilogy. It would be interesting to see them re-made, with new actors, updated technology, etc.

They would just need to give them similar treatment that they are giving episode 7, i.e. the best possible treatment in every department; they would just need to avoid letting them be rebooted by lame people (I don't see Disney doing that, their reboot would be a huge event).

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, you could play connect the dots from TNG 100 year jump revitalizing the franchise to Enterprise cancellation by UP-freakin'-N (There are some great Ent eps, though, no foolin!) but it's really jumping around the timeline is a good way to kinda-not-really "reboot" it but still have it set in the fictional universe, you're just so far beyond that it really won't affect the new stories. Although, yes, a timeline jump is about the last top on the train before a remake, but that timeline jump cranked out a hellova lot of Star Trek for over a decade or so.

StoneRiver likes this.
  22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    If we're bringing up Star Trek Enterprise here, it should be noted there's actually some evidence to suggest that it was intended to be a soft reboot (hence the lack of a "Star Trek" in the title at first), and that the reboot idea was a major cause for its problems and eventual failure in the first place. I wouldn't put it in the same category as TNG or the PT.

23. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

:oops:

I'm not saying TNG was bad or having a pop at Star Trek, and I am certainly not making a direct comparison between the SW and ST products. I wasn't even referring to one particular show within the ST franchise. I was just playing with the fact it has been rebooted (since the broad terms of this thread are pertaining to franchises and reboots).

So again, just so we're clear, I was just having fun [face_peace]

JStepp likes this.
  24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I should also add that Enterprise failed due to lack of any true sense of direction from the producers and, most specifically, lack of any support from Paramount. Neither the studio, Berman or Braga knew how to properly utilize the material in that show and didn't care. Manny Coto did what he could to wring any good stories and potential from the concept, but by then it was too late.

Not that any of that applies to Star Wars; I just happen to have a soft spot in my heart for the little show that tried but was frankly set up to fail by its own parents.

25. HighlanderC

HighlanderC Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    I want a reboot/remake of the PT. Dedicated... no jar jar binks.... bring portman back.... I am sure even hayden can do a good job at it. Different director and make a more compelling story based on the formation of the empire in a more logical way (all we have to do is look back at history and use that as a formation of the empire) having Anakin in a more secondary role at first.. Get more of the clone wars instead of the childish anakin... make flashbacks just to reference his persona of being a slave but that is it... Simply retcon the PT and have a simpler plot that doesn't have holes and makes sense... if it has to be a 3hr movie, so be it. Don't rely so much in special effects and bring back the work and dedication that were the PT. I think Disney can do it. Make the PT span a lot less time and give more time to AnaWan so we can really see a good duel of the fates that is more of an Anakin having pitty on his former friend, yet his friend didn't and not a stupid jump over mistake. Having episode 3 be the hunt of Anakin of Obi Wan and obi wan puts him in the suit. Show more why Darth Vader was so feared and time in the suit hunting down jedi. Make Darth Vader a little reckless hence why Tarking was in charge and he wasn't. Why he learned patience after the first death star was destroyed....

Just rambling...

Sean Sinclair likes this.