main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why didn't Anakin bring Padme back from the dead?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That he is stringing Anakin along. I've explained many times that this is a classic bait and switch con. The promise to "work together and discover the secret" is as empty a lie as the rest of it. It is the carrot to convince that dolt Anakin to go out and kill for Palpatine. He's dumb enough to fall for it. If you really believe that there is even a tiny chance that Palpatine intended to ever help Anakin save Padme, your lack of understanding of these characters and their motivations must know no bounds.

And my stance on the EU is consistant as you know. It's the same regardless of thread, or subject, or whether it works for or against my argument. This is only one of many times I have pointed this out to you.

By now, I think everyone knows that is true. I even started a thread about EU talk in movie threads in the comms section.

As far as I am concerned, the EU means absolutely nothing in terms of judging, or interpereting. what happens in the films. 100% of the time, all the time.

So. You can keep talking about it if you wish, it means nothing to me

That an EU writer decided to have a certain take on this means nothing to me, any and all EU is separate from the movies in my way of thinking. EU writers have come up with all kinds of stupid things in the past. I don't consider any of it part of the saga. That isn't going to change

VanishingReality likes this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, that's not what the phrase "work together" means. If you're talking about Palpatine's "intentions", you've really moved to a different subject than the question of whether his statements are individually true or false. Look at his statements. He never says what his intentions are. He only claims that certain things are possible. They are. I guess you could argue that there is an implication being made to Anakin which is a "lie", but even then you'd have to establish that Palpatine sees no way to use a living Padme to control Anakin, and he might be more creative than that.

3. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    You really don't get the story, you really just don't get it at all. Padme and her death is a key for Palpatine. You really don't understand this at all

Work together, ha. [Removed. Films, not fans. Only warning. ~Sx3] as Anakin is

4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Not proven. ( Lucas may even have stolen the idea from SOTE where it also appears. )

You appear to fundamentally misunderstand his intended characterization. You may be thinking of the wrong genre. As far as he knows he has no other choice and must go along with someone he later speaks of overthrowing.

So have other people. I'd say you don't get the real point of the EU references, but it's been spelled out several times. The EU is, in your words, a "certain take" on the films. Guess what? So is your interpretation. Both are "takes" on the films. The EU version is no less valid than your own. If it is to be discarded merely because it is not proven in the films, your version goes out the door along with it.

5. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't misunderstand him, he's a dolt who has been fooled easily by a man who only cares for himself.

I get your point about the EU, I reject it entirely. Why is that so hard for you? The EU could say that Plagueis was actually a unicorn herder who sacrificed unicorn horns to Thor for all I care. It's meaningless to me

Each book to me exists on it's own, it doesn't change the movie

VanishingReality likes this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Lucas wasn't setting out to write a sequel to Dumb and Dumber. What does the Making of ROTS say about this, I wonder?

Fooled by the truth.

An EU writer is just another person like you with a theory about the films. One is ultimately no better than the other.
    ( Unless, of course, an EU writer receives specific input from Lucas and other Lucasfilm people, including direct mandates. In that case the EU version carries a little more weight than your own, I'm afraid. )

7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Lucas wrote a character who happens to be an idiot. Whether by design or not, Anakin is still an idiot.

Let me ask you, do you think Palpatine ever intended to help save Padme?

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    No, he just places Padme's survival over all other considerations. He's been told she can only be saved by a dark side power, so he wants to keep the resident Sith alive. Not too hard to understand. And it seems pretty obvious later in the film that the Jedi wouldn't have known how to save her, just as he was told. Believing in the existence of things that really exist is not quite what the word "idiot" is supposed to mean.

9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What else do you call a man so easily fooled and manipulated. He is a very stupid man.

I also can't help but notice you only quoted part of my post and failed to answer my question

10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Maybe it was too hard to understand after all.

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    No, I understand. He wants to save Padme,. and he also happens to be a gullible idiot

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Plagueis and Sidious had to work together to unbalance the Force. There's nothing "naive" about it. As usual it's just something you don't want.

If idiots are the ones who believe true statements, are the smart people the ones who believe false statements? [face_thinking]

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

So then you are saying that Sidious wanted to save Padme, is that correct here? That his intention would have been to save her?

14. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    THIS is the truth. Sidious did not know this power, he simply used it as a way to trick Anakin into his downfall, which succeeded. He used those excuses to simply euthanize her death.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He knew of the power; he saw it demonstrated with his own eyes.

16. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I don't think the power was real and that Anakin was just ricked by palpatine.

17. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    No your wrong, you forget even after she learned that obi-won was telling the truth shed STILL wanted to run away with him to her home land of Naboo to raise they child (2 as it turned out) and her dying words were "I know there's still good in him" Padme Loved Anakin to the very end of her life.

Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Note that this is what Sidious is thinking- he may be somewhat overcynical in that respect.

19. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Like as has been said before, Sidious/Palpatine didn't even know. He said that together they could learn how. Not exactly the best pitch to get someone to join you, but Anakin wasn't exactly stable either, and was desperate.

20. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret."

21. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I fail to see how Anakin could not have thought about researching up how often it was that women died in childbirth in a highly evolved and technological advanced planet. He should have at least considered that possibility, that it was 99% unlikely that Padme would have died in childbirth and that his visions were more warnings of what could happen if he strayed from the Jedi path...

22. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    Sidious' promises to Anakin about Padme were simply a means to an end - the utter transformation of his 'friend' Anakin Skywalker into his Apprentice Darth Vader.

23. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    This is interesting. Why would Sidious promise that if he already knew Anakin had fully turned to the Dark Side. Perhaps we can conclude that he really did want to 'discover the secret' with his new apprentice. One thing's for sure though, and its that he was lying when he initially told Anakin he already knew the power and could save Padme.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Cause he didn't know how?

Dredalus likes this.
  25. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Well we see in The Force Unleashed that Sidious would have killed Vader at any time due to his weakness. He always wanted a strong apprentice. I feel like he wanted to discover the secret with Vader at his side so that way the power of Vader would be ally. Once the secret was discovered, however, I feel like either Sidious or Vader would have betrayed the other.