main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is Zayne Carrick a Skywalker?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Thoughts?

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    JJM confirmed he absolutely was not a Skywalker.

3. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Hmm ok thanks. Was just thinking of the scene from Vector...

4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, "the scene." The scene that may have been most suggestive of a family tie between two characters as I've ever seen. But nope. Apparently that scene meant absolutely nothing.

DarthBoba likes this.
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I remember (ten years ago now...jeeze) when KOTOR came out, there were people who thought that Revan was a Skywalker ancestor, hence why the Sith'ari prophecy was supposed to tie in with both him and Anakin's Chosen One's status.

While I don't mind the idea of Revan being a Skywalker ancestor, it's not because of that, but because I played Revan as kind of a sleaze, so I like to think he left a lot of Revan Jrs around the galaxy...

6. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    Isn't the concept of a direct descendant across millennia something of a misnomer? I mean, human populations on multiple planets could probably claim descent from both Revan and Zayne by the time of the films.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Even if Zayne were the distant ancestor of the Skywalkers, it wouldn't make him a Skywalker. It'd make him one of their thousands upon thousands of ancestors.

Four thousand years is a very long time.

8. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    Apparently on the time scale of 40 generations back (using the SW 25 years = 1 generation, 40 gen = 1000 years), one person has a trillion ancestors (assuming no duplicates). And that number increases exponentially, and I'm too lazy to factor into another 80+ generations into that.

9. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    And they're all named Jax Pavan.

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In all fairness, Anakin has half the number of ancestors as most characters.

Well, unless you count "all living things" which created the force, then he has a lot more.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  11. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Wait, I'm confused. If they were related, would that make Zayne a Skywalker, or would it make Luke a Carrick :confused: [face_thinking] :p

12. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Of course not, Zayne isn't pug ugly.

13. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Okay, I know where this is going. My connection to Pharoah Senwosret II of the Twelfth Dynasty has been found out. I don't care -- I still don't want to run Egypt!

Seriously -- I can't recall saying yes or no, but I have steadily maintained that the question absolutely befuddles me. Every one of us reading is closer to the invention of glass than Luke is to Zayne Carrick.

It's a fun question, I guess, but I'm not at all sure it's answerable.

14. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Anakin Skywalker was the first actual force-using "Skywalker".

Don't think there is any before him unless they flow-walked or found a time portal or something

these as well . . . Revan probably has thousands of ancestors by the OT

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen other Skywalkers than the Jedi family?

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I find this obsession with Skywalker blood a bit creepy. As if they were a holy family or something. Nice to see some non-Skywalkers kick ass, and Zayne is an especially interesting character. I love him.

17. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I'm sure there are other "Skywalkers" but thread was obviously referring to the Jedi family

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

He has a father, Shmi just doesn't want to talk about it [face_plain]

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I guess its kinda a pointless questiin. I was just curious what peoples thoughts were.

20. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    As others have said Zayne decidedly isn't a Skywalker, however i'd like to take this time to say just how glade I am that he isn't/wasn't. Nice to see someone unrelated to that family be the hero of the story. They're focused upon far too much as it is.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I agree. He is my favorite character in yhe EU.

22. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    A more serious answer, then, Chewbacca89:

Zayne's story would definitely lean toward an egalitarian interpretation of the Force: that anyone can have it, whether they quite know what to do with it or not. If the Skywalkers were just 200 years hence rather than four millennia, I'd probably say then that, no, there's no connection. It's a big galaxy, different families. But at four millennia, he could be related to everyone from Moff Tarkin to the Rancor keeper!

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True. Still, we don't know how much integration each planet has with each other.

If Zayne's immediate descendants (assuming he has any- which we can't be sure of) were to settle on a relatively isolated planet, there might be very little spread of his genes across the galaxy.

24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks for the replies, John! I must say I love the KOTOR comics, and Zayne was a great character, coming in at second favorite character of KOTOR era (first being Revan...I'm sorry! ;)), and he had some one-liners that were pure gold. But that still doesn't mean he has to be connected to the Skywalkers somehow.

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well they are a "holy family" in some respects. Still, I must admit that I'm hoping for the ST to introduce the next great Jedi hope as someone entirely unrelated to the Sky-Solos.

Luke's legacy shouldn't be tied up in his bloodline but have more to do with the lessons he passes on and the future generations he inspires.

(And, okay, part of me just wants the PT-OT-ST to echo the themes of the Metal Gear franchise :p)