main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It was quoting Lion King that won me over.

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Found this and thought it was adorable:

KamSolusar likes this.
  4. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

[​IMG]

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Girl in the Fireplace:

I feel like I'm missing some background between Madame de Pompadour and the Doctor, maybe from the old series. But I liked the premise of this episode, with her childhood nightmares, the creepy ticking droids dressed up in period costumes, and the magic fireplace.

Madame de Pompadour is something else. [face_laugh] She planned to be the King's lover and put the moves on the Doctor as well. They did a good job casting the young King Louis; when I took French history for my major, I had gotten the impression that all the French kings were ugly as hell, but they made him look good.

I loved the return to the Versailles ball room and Reinette's line that "We are in the court of Versailles! And we are French!" And the Doctor's line about the French knowing how to party. My month in St Malo says that he is correct. It took awhile for my liver to recover from that trip. :p And again, creepy droid clowns trying to excise major organs from Rose and Mickey...although I'm still not sure what they wanted with Madame de Pompadour's brain...

The ending was sad. Madame de Pompadour wanting to see the stars...in spite of my cynical side thinking "What? Living in Versailles and ****ing the King of France isn't enough?", I was still sad for her, and I was especially sad for poor Louis when they carried her off in the hearse. "She'll be in Paris in six hours time." :_|

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You weren't alone. It wasn't a very sensical episode from a plot or a character standpoint IMO.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

1) There is no listing describing just what episodes are in that box. All it says is that it's 3 discs and runs for 240 minutes. That's pretty lousy.
    2) This should have come out before the regenerations box set, with that being released with a copy of this year's Christmas special included.

As nice as these box sets look there is just no way around the fact that the BBC's approach to them have been a bit of a shambles.

mackpol likes this.
  10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Should add that there are 50th anniversary spoilers in that link

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Completely forgot about that when I posted, and now I'm outside the edit time.:oops:

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My heroics know no bounds.

Juliet316, halibut and Ulicus like this.
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That's actually... like... uncanny. I'm super impressed.

I've always been one of those people who was like "NO! NEVER RECAST ANY OF THE DOCTORS EVER!" but... seeing that? Wow. If the performance matches the look I, uh, would not complain if that incarnation of the First Doctor showed up in the show proper.

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Finally finished Invasion of the Daleks. Beautiful ending

15. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Has anyone mentioned the DWM 461 comic yet? (I think I might have missed a page or two.
    That ending!
    The wedding of Ian and Barbara! Finally!
    And the eleventh Doctor intentionally destroying the First Doctor's Chameleon Circuit to make sure the Blue Box became a symbol...

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    K-9 would be proud of you. :)

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Indeed. It was handled brilliantly.

And, now you get to join the choir of those Who fans wondering when he will bother to keep his promise... and at the same time end his inane "I am the last of my kind..." nonsense.

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He kept it in the audios, and I'd assume Susan was headhunted for the time war, anyway. :p

V-2 likes this.
  19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I've heard that one. Not the worst 8th Doctor story, but... It could have been so much more.

Ulicus likes this.
  20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    The Rescue

Simple story designed to introduce us to the new companion, and it works quite nicely. The Deus ex Machina resolution was a bit disappointing, but we do get to see the Doctor's character shining through. Falling asleep during materialisation (first time we hear that word) is something I can picture the recent Doctors doing. And calling Barbara "Susan" was a lovely touch, brilliantly performed

The Romans

Well, what a fun romp that was! Fantastic writing for the characters who play off each other brilliantly. Perhaps it's the lack of Susan that has brought the Doctor out of his shell? He doesn't have to care for his family, so he can enjoy himself for. Some brilliant scenes. Loved the Doctor's fight. Loved the scooby-doo corridor chase. Loved the galley scenes. Loved all of it. And finally Tennant's line in Fires of Pompeii makes sense!

21. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    I watched the 7th Doctor story "Paradise Towers" this weekend. Not a bad one, but not the best either ... though I do have a softspot for 1980s Who. McCoy was still feeling his way through the role at this point and hadn't fully established his version of the Doctor yet.

22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I truly hated that one at the time, the 7-year-old me didn't like Pex or the Kangs, or especially Bonnie Langford, but I've warmed to it since. I really loved McCoy at the time and still do... I still hate Langford.

Her character and performance in the audios is astonishingly good in comparison to the stiff panto acting we got on TV at the time, I'll give her that.

Top Sylv story for me has to be Ghost Light; I think it's one of the Best Doctor Who stories of any era.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll just leave this here:

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Notes that Everton will note that I am legally obliged to point out that he tweeted me

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Everton wishes me to point out that he notes that halibut is legally obliged to point out that he was tweeted by Murray Gold.

Incidentally, we are currently cruising the Danube. :cool:

Everton likes this.