main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What is your greatest fear about Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ponda_Baba, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought Harrison Ford was great in Indy 4. The film wasn't the greatest but it certainly wasn't because of him IMO. Cough *Shia Lebeouf* Cough

I have no worries about the Big 3. I think they will be fantastic and it will be amazing to see them on the big screen again.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree. I am actually excited to see the big 3 in episode VII.

since they will likely be in only a minor character capacity, there would be less weight placed on them and therefore Their performances would be under much less scrutiny, since it may not be as crucial to the main plot as for the main characters.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  3. Jabberwookiee

Jabberwookiee Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2013
    My only fear is that I won't have a strong attachment to the new heroes and be invested in whatever their plight is. But I guess that's the case for anything I'll ever watch.

4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    My biggest fear is that it'll simply suck.

5. Sam Jordan

Sam Jordan Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2013
    I really don't want it to be referencing the EU. I love the books etc but I want to go in blind to new characters not be going 'oh I know her' or saying 'that's different'. Add to the g-canon and then when he get a whole new load of EU material in these new characters and events.

Sarge and Graphic like this.
  6. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    No Nien Nunb. That would be tragic. That and gratitious JJ lens flares.

7. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    They won't have enough story for 3 movies. The OT story starts to sputter in ROTJ, while the PT story sputters in TPM, as SW Trilogies have a history of 2 interesting movies and one with a lot of filler.

8. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Loved Indy 4 so yes! My greatest fear is a Spielbergian apologetic response to criticism.

9. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    also worried that i wont like it, when ive loved the other 6

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Fallen SkySolos.

11. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Not necessarily, I don't think there is any need for you to bang your head due to this. In fact, I believe the reason that people keep commenting on the use of CGI is because it was so prominately displayed in the PT. As a result, it created the appearance that you were being inundated with the effects, even though that may not have been the case. For example, in ROTS you have Obi-wan bouncing around on the back of a beast while pursuing Grievous, those scenes in my opinion were cringe worthy and completely ridiculous. I am still a fan of the PT; however, I don't remember seeing anything quite that bad in the OT.....so in eseence, those are thing kinds of overbearing CGI that I hope to avoid with the ST.

12. Master Hamahiga

Nov 1, 2012
    Not necessarily, there is no reason for you to bang your head against the wall over this. Perhaps the reason that people keep commenting on the use of CGI in the PT is because the way it was used was heavy handed and made it feel that you were being inundated with the effects, even if this wasn't the case because there were many physical sets being used as well. For example, in ROTS there was a moment with Obi-wan was riding on the back of a beast as he pursued Grevious, these scenes were cringe worthy and completely ridiculous, in fact, they probably could of been omitted altogether and approached differently. This was an example of using the CGI for no other reason than because they could and because it was available to them. In essence, these overt, maximizing displays are what I hope to avoid for the ST. Please don't take me the wrong way, I am a fan of the PT and I believe they serve an appropriate purpose in the overall saga; however, I have yet to find a scene in the OT that is so over the top with the CGI as the one I mentioned above.

In closing, as opposed to my biggest fear, my biggest hope is for these new films to become timeless classics like the OT did. The OT still holds up well in terms of the balance between CGI/practical effects because they subscribed to the notion of doing more with less I believe. Less then 20 years since the creation of TPM and there are several things about that film that seem antiquated in terms of the CGI.

13. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    You make some fair points Master Hamahiga... but ur gonna get told off for the double post :p

I'm not sure if they used CGI just for the sake of it there. Maybe the story was written with Obi riding this giant lizard and the only way to realistically (to me) portray this was with the use of CGI? But I think we're drifting off the subject matter lol

To summarize I do in fact agree that there should be a well balanced use of CGI/practical in the new trilogy (but it's not my greatest fear).

14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    My biggest fear is that it won't be good.

Really good rundown. I have the same fears as #1-17

Another fear will be spoilers and leaks and my inability to avoid them.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    MODified: Double posting cleanup in aisle 7.

16. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    HAT TRICK!!!

17. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    My biggest fear is that considering it has been such a length of time since the OT was released and because we have a new director at the helm, these new films will feel disconnected from the others. Here's to hoping my fears are unjustified.

18. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Jedi Master star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    My biggest fear:

They decide it's okay for Jedi to have babies.
    Yeah, yeah.....EU, PU.
    Real Jedi don't have babies.
    They are married to the Force.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What do leaks smell like? Depends.

20. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    We're probably in the minority here, but I couldn't agree more. File under Unpopular Star Wars opinions.

21. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Darth Claire's list is pretty great. Here's my biggest fears:

(1) It doesn't feel like Star Wars. In the way that, to me, Abrams' Star Trek doesn't feel like Star Trek.

(2) Judging by Lucas' weird-decision making in TCW, weird forays into the nature of the Force that overall are lame or pointless (Mortis, I'm looking at you);

(3) Hayden Anakin Jedi Ghost;

(4) Judging by Lucas' weird decision-making in TCW, introducing events that directly contradict EU (locations/characters/etc) that could have easily been either (a) amended to fit with existing sources, or (b) using a different character/location to avoid the mess in the first place. (Hell by the end of TCW Lucas was contradicting his own films :p).

(5) TPM poodoo humor.

(6) "Make it like ESB".

22. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    And yet, without Anakin having babies, the Sith would've won completely.

TRY to understand: Luke & Leia are not bound by the old rules. The old Jedi Order FAILED. They grew stagnant, in part, because of all their rules & traditions.

VMeran, Sean Sinclair and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Jedi Master star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    If Anakin would have honored the Jedi code, Windu would have killed Palpatine because Anakin would not need him to save Padme. Or maybe Anakin would have killed him himself, because Palpatine still would have tried to turn him since he was so powerful and yet morally conflicted and arrogant. The problem wasn't their rules. The problem was him not honoring their rules as he had sworn to do.

Think of all the Jedi over thousands of years that came before Anakin who had no problem being honorable, and things worked great. And one punk has a power trip and suddenly it's okay to have Jedi dynasties. Don't you see the danger in this? The formation of powerful Jedi clans whose loyalty to their family takes precedence to the Order and the Republic? It's a recipe for disaster.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. Master Hamahiga

Nov 1, 2012
    I can appreciate your response and I apologize for the double post, it was unintended as my computer froze and I wasn't sure if my original post took.

25. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    If Anakin hadn't broken the rules to begin with, Palpatine would've found some other avenue towards turning Anakin. He wouldn't have had Anakin's relationship with Padme to exploit, so he'd have found another way--and the encounters between Palpatine & Anakin at the office, and later with Mace, wouldn't have gone down as they did. It would have changed MANY things, and Palpatine may have executed Order 66 earlier... or later. Perhaps he wouldn't have allowed Dooku to be killed off.

But it wasn't just Anakin that caused the Order to fall... the Jedi were failing already, weakening, blinded by the cloud of the dark side.

Had Anakin broken the rules but the Jedi been less STRICT about them, they may have been able to help him deal with his emotions, particularly his fears, in a better manner.

So, no... don't dump this all at Anakin's feet. The Jedi are just as much to blame, if not more, for Palpatine's victory.

Luke's family ties are what saved the day in the end.

Yoda told him the Force runs strong in his family, and to pass on what he learned.

Luke & Leia aren't beholden to the old Jedi rules--if they were, then we get no more Skywalkers or Solos ever, and VII is merely following the legacy of Luke via his unrelated students, who are gonna be stuck-up monks like the old Jedi were, leading to their downfall, as a whole, all over again probably by Episode XII. Boy, what a fun ride that'll be, huh? 8-}