main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Sounds like the power rankings were written by everyone's favorite instructor at Hogwarts!

I will remember this message of hope and inspiration when my Miners are 0-9. :D

--EDIT--

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Accidentally hit Control + F4 instead of Fn + F4 when I went to turn the audio up on my computer. Bye bye huge Miners-Ducks write up post. :(

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Mine goes by Mi (pronounced My) or M-One (preferred), call him "Tank" - his behind his back nickname, and there could be trouble! Not a fight, he'd just tend to (legitimately) flatten anyone who calls him that on the pitch!!

3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    M1 "Tank" Abrams? What's next? "Slappy" Patton? :p

Hold on a second.

*writes that down for next year's draft*

Never mind.

[​IMG]

Trieste, Tim Battershell and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Hey, there's Trieste 's first-round pick next year when the Miners tank (pun not intended). :p

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Just want to give you guys one more heads up that I will be out of town this Tuesday through Thursday. Expect posts from both Zay and LFL commish Marius when I get back, probably the LFL season opener first. As of last Wednesday, I now have a smartphone, and one of the first apps I downloaded was a notepad app that allows me to sync my notes to the web, from where I can easily copy and paste on my laptop, so I can now write posts "on the go". Don't expect me to be posting from my phone though, as I'm still deciding whether I want to shell out the $3 for the Tapatalk app.

For those of you in the LFL, since Agamar has opted to not have a D-team and it would be impractical to give Hapes one, plan on an eight-team league sans conferences with a straight round-robin schedule. That much will be known to everybody by the time training camps start. The formal announcement of the LFL schedule will be placed about one and a half to two months before the first game.

CPL_Macja and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  6. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    I use the free version of Tapatalk and it works just fine...

as a matter of fact I am beta testing Tapatalk 4 at the same time.

7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    There's a free version? Where do I find that? I searched Tapatalk in the Play Store and the only matching apps were paid.

Now that I think about it, it is possible but unlikely that the LFL post/schedule will go up tomorrow. So be warned. Once the schedule goes up, the roster of teams will be locked in for the season. I don't want to make significant changes after posting it, especially if that would involve going back to ten teams with conferences.

8. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    Try searching Tapatalk Free...
    the top result should be Tapatalk 4 - Community Reader

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Testing... Hey, it works! So maybe you might get a post or two out of me while I'm gone.

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

10. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up @CPL_Macja--I'm going to look into that myself!

Oh, and I want Jhym Rom'eo (wherever the apostrophe goes) to get the scoop on Senators training camp. That place is better than a reality TV show these days. :D

Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    OK, I just realized something. The new nine-game ELL schedule is going to force changes to the LFL schedule.

If the LFL has ten teams, then a nine-week schedule forces conferences to be abandoned in favor of a straight round-robin. To keep conferences, there must be two off weeks.

However, we don't have ten teams this season; we have eight. That means a straight round-robin is seven games, which again forces two off weeks.

So we're going to have two off weeks in the LFL schedule this season. I've already decided that the first "off week" will be ELL Week 1, making LFL Week 1 the same as ELL Week 2. This both eliminates the need to drag out the season any longer than necessary and gives me a bit of breathing room with my trip this week.

The question is how to do the second off week. I'm going to present several options and am looking for opinions on which one you think would be best. In increasing order of my personal preference, the options are:
    1. Start the season in ELL Week 3. This eliminates the need to have any weeks off during the season, but I don't like it because it's a slow start to the season, and IC the younger players could use a week off to catch their breaths.
    2. Insert the off week in the middle of the regular season, following LFL Week 3. The entire league is off at once. This gives the younger players a rest, but the sudden full stop midseason might kill the pacing.
    3. Insert the off week after the regular season and before the playoffs. This gives the players a bit of rest right before the most important games of the season, and the break could help the pacing by creating the "calm before the storm".
    4. Spread out the off weeks during LFL Weeks 2 to 5, with two teams off each week (similar to the NFL for those of you in the U.S.). This creates one more week of LFL action than the above options, and it avoids any full stop to League activities which giving the players a rest week. Doing it over two weeks with four teams off each week would also be doable.
    I would personally prefer option 4, but I'd like to hear your opinions first. The Americans among us are probably more familiar with the NFL's style of off weeks, so I'd particularly like to hear from Rebecca_Daniels and Tim Battershell about whether they think option 4 would be too confusing for them. (I think the rest of our players are in the United States.) (And yes, Tim, I'm giving you a voice even though you don't participate in the Futures League.)

12. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Bardan_Jusik, CPL_Macja, jcgoble3, Jedi Gunny, Rebecca_Daniels, Runjedirun, Vehn, Trieste

The 'Media Conference' is pausing for refreshments to be served; after which Tim Dodd will be available for a short Q&A session. Please PM any questions you (standing in for the journalists) might like to ask him!

jcgoble3 - my thinking is that option 3 would be good, particularly if there are injury/fitness issue storylines that can be developed into a can-play/can't-play cliffhanger regarding the playoffs! Just my two cents worth!

13. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    jcgoble3, I say go with whatever option is easiest for you to schedule.

[​IMG]

14. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    jcgoble3 I'm always in favor for in season bye weeks

Sent from a Galaxy far away via R2-N6

15. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
  16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I haven't actually sat down to figure it out, but options 1 through 3 would be equally easy. Option 4 would be just a tad more difficult only because I would need to schedule eight weeks instead of seven. Actually figuring out the bye weeks would be a simple matter of randomizing the off weeks and then simply writing the schedule as if the two teams off were playing a second game against each other that week, which wouldn't be difficult. It seems that the early consensus is option 3, though.

However, I just realized that with an eight-team league, the playoffs will have to drop to two weeks, meaning that the entire LFL season (regular plus playoffs) will be three weeks shorter than the ELL season instead of just two. I've decided this morning that I'm not willing to start the LFL season later than ELL Week 2, and the Finals have to match up with each other, so two off weeks are now needed. So I'm looking at probably combining options 3 and 4.

Any further thoughts?

17. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Sounds good. Could you give two off weeks between the playoffs and the Finals? Or would that mess with the flow of the league?

[​IMG]

18. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    It sure is. :p Especially since I've gotten to unleash one of my favorite characters in it. :D

Anyways, jcgoble3, whatever works for you.

19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I think two straight off weeks would be too much of a jarring halt. I'd rather keep them separated from each other for pacing.

20. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Makes sense.

So you are thinking of a one week layoff between the end of the regular season and the postseason along with every team getting their own bye weeks sometime midseason?

[​IMG]

21. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    But then one team would likely end up with two straight off weeks, considering the present playoff picture . . .

22. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Looking at it I think he wants to make all the individual bye weeks midseason, so none would have the first or last week of the season off.

Honestly I am happy with it however jcgoble want to do it.

[​IMG]

23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    What Bardan said. Each team would have a bye week between Weeks 2 and 5 (or Weeks 3 and 6), with two teams off each week (the season would be eight weeks/seven games). The entire league would then be off the week before the playoffs. Does that make sense, Jedi Gunny?

24. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    Would it be easier to have hapes and corellia to have affiliates bringing the league to ten teams. You wouldn't have to eliminate conferences if you didn't want to, just have five non-conference

Sent from a Galaxy far away via R2-N6

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Not really, because I can't really see a plausible way to give Hapes a D-team given their unique preferences for gender and species, unless someone has ideas. Also, there's the rule that planets hosting ELL teams may not also host LFL teams, and by their name, the C-Bucs represent the entire 63-planet Hapes Consortium. I can't really see the Queen Mother being open to a D-team being hosted outside the Consortium. Bottom line is that I'd rather make things a little harder than do something that might break the suspension of disbelief.