main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    But the House cannot actually accomplish anything without the Senate and the Presidency. The base isn't satisfied with meaningless bills that go nowhere.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, at least that's one thing Virginia got right in having a tougher texting while driving law, I suppose.

3. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Now full implementation of the health care law has been delayed to New Year's Day 2015.

I smell a rat here; Obama and those goons in Washington are evidently worried about the increasing opposition, so they're probably hoping that by pushing it off by another year that the Democrats will stay in control of the Senate and maybe take the House as well.

Honestly, I think this is going to come back and bite everyone - and I mean everyone, not just Democrats but Republicans too - in Washington next year if the Congressional gridlock continues. People are getting fed up with Congress. We badly need a reformation of the Senate and House; term limits should be imposed on both, just as for the Presidency.

4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Term limits concentrate power in the hands of staffers and lobbyists, for whom term limits do not apply. They generally fail in their original intent wherever they are used, and politicians find ways to circumvent them.

The false equivalence you make is nonsense and has been for a long time. In a normal political system, the ACA would be amended to make it work better and to fix unanticipated problems. That's not possible with a Republican party that wants it to fail for no other reason than because they think it should.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011

Oh, for Pete's sakes. I suppose you think it's only the Republicans who oppose the ACA to begin with - that ALL Democrat voters support it, EVEN NOW? Take a look at the MSN article about the dealy. Some of the commentors identify themselves as Democrats, but they're taking Obama to task over the ACA. And notice I said everyone in my earlier post. I am a Republican, yes, and don't like Democrats at all, but even Republicans can be wrong, and so can Democrats. These men may think they're infallible, but they're not; they're all human and not immune from making mistakes.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    A significant number of Democrats oppose the ACA because it's not liberal and far-reaching enough, not because they dislike it in general.

What you're spouting is basically the same as the mainstream noise from the major networks, where people sigh and wonder why both parties can't come together, and it's so unfortunate, and so on. It's always both parties at fault, and can't Obama do a better job of leading, and so on.

It's nonsense.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    But KW, do you think the ACA is a road map leading to an eventual "more liberal"(don't know what that means. I'm not a liberal and would prefer a single-payer over this) single-payer system?

I'm not sure this is a road map but a wrong turn.

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I think in a better world, there would have been fewer giveaways to companies and a stronger overall approach. That would have required more input from Republicans, though, and all they wanted to do was obstruct, gambling that in the end, nothing would happen and that the status quo would prevail.

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Unfortunately, the GOP still has a rather large following (mostly fundamentalists) that believe their party can do no wrong. It doesn't help that country is developing a horrible, "If you're not with us, then you're against us mentality." Years ago, when I voted for the right, you could slam your own party for its stupidity and people would nod their heads. Now, you could be a gun-toating, God-fearing, gay-bashing Republican, but the moment you point out an error in <insert Republican politician here>'s economic policy, then you're nothing but a sissy commie liberal.

Of course, the left can be as bad, though I personally haven't seen it nearly as much.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This doesn't directly relate to policy, but Ms. Heinz-Kerry is apparently in bad shape after being rushed to Mass. General today. Described as "critical but stable," not really saying what this is.

Tough few months for Secretary Kerry, real tough.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Does Rick Perry even have to campaign anymore? I just assumed the bulk of Texas was voting between "Rick Perry (R)" and "Perry, Rick (R)." I hear the latter could pull off an upset.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Are there term limits for governors in Texas? Conservatives in the U.S. and self-styled "libertarians" seem to love term limits, so I'd be surprised if there weren't any.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Apparently not.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Texas does not have term limits for governor, no. Perry's already got the all-time record for consecutive years served, incidentally.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *fixed

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Have to admit, I was surprised to hear that he was choosing not to run again.

I hope this doesn't mean he's decided to go full tilt into a 2016 White House run.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    "Oops."

He'll never live that moment down.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    There's still time.;)

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Trillions in tax havens

I have posted about this a few times before. Tens of trillions in offshore tax havens, while the rich get tax breaks to boot. I continue to be awestruck that there seems ot be no activity from our government to lasso this nonsense.

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    its almost as if bourgeois government exists to protect and not to substantially hinder the interests of the bourgeoisie... hmmmm....

DarthLowBudget likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.