main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What is your greatest fear about Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ponda_Baba, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Jedi Master star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    And yet Yoda and Obi Wan didn't take up wives in their old age. Maybe they were just set in their ways and had no game. Maybe the pickings were slim on Dagoba and the Tatooine ladies weren't refined enough for Kenobi standards. ;)

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    A) Yoda was alone on Dagobah. Alone.
    B) Obi-Wan was both too busy watching over Luke and he wouldn't have married because the woman he loved had already died, and also Obi-Wan probably wouldn't have wanted to endanger a potential wife. If he was ever found by the Empire she'd be in danger, too.

3. Master Blaster

Mar 5, 2013
    I don't remember Kenobi's girlfriend in the movies. I presume this must be non-canonical. I haven't read all these books. Seems like lazy writing to inject an Obi Wan love interest where none belonged. The things they will do to fill a marketing niche. smh

VanishingReality likes this.
  4. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1989505.stm

"Jedi Knights aren't celibate - The thing that is forbidden is attachments - and possessive relationships"

There you have it folks. Indisputable G-Canon that the Jedi have rampant casual sex but can't get married.

Master Blaster likes this.
  5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Slight correction. ;)

All in all, I do agree with the idea that the New Jedi Order should forsake the old rules and allow for their members to follow their feelings and have relationships. As I think Toonimator mentioned, it can be as dangerous to have absolutely no attachment (old PT-era Jedi Order) as it is to have an obsessive one (Anakin). The key, I believe, is moderation.

Yeah, Obi-Wan had a couple of love interests in the EU and The Clone Wars, Siri Tachi and Satine Kryze. I think the creative decision to give him romantic feelings for someone else improved Obi-Wan as a character, as it showed us his own inner struggles to reconcile his personal feelings with the laws of the Jedi code, revealing that he wasn't anywhere near as dogmatic as the rest of the Order as he could sometimes appear to be. It also revealed a good contrast between Anakin and himself; Obi-Wan is capable of letting go, while Anakin would go to great lengths to ensure that he never lost Padmé, to the point where he ends up losing her anyway. That's my opinion, anyhow.

6. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013

Paid for it by finding out that Vader was his father? I don't think Luke was concerned about "fate of the whole galaxy that hung in the balance" -- he had faith in his attachments friends to take care of the DS and the Emperor.
    I believe Luke even asked Vader to come with him, away from the Emperor, which really would have messed up the fate of the galaxy, wouldn't it?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    What, you've never heard of "The Clone Wars"? TCW had its share of lazy writing--particularly where character names were concerned (Whorm Loathsom? General Trench? Savage Opress? I know, taking their cues from the movie names ala "Elan Sleazbaggano" and "General Grievous", but still...)--Obi-Wan having had feelings for Satine wasn't lazy by any means. They explained how they'd met years earlier, when Obi-Wan was very young (pre-TPM, I believe--so teens or early 20s), it was an intense situation, Satine & Obi-Wan thrown together in a similar manner as Padme & Anakin were in AOTC with her life in danger, feelings developed--but unlike Anakin & Padme, Satine & Obi-Wan resisted. They revealed over the course of events in TCW that Obi-Wan WOULD have left the Order for Satine, had she asked--but she didn't, as she couldn't ask him to give up that life (as I recall). And as she lay dying next to him, she admitted she always loved him--and you could see from his reaction, if previous episodes hadn't made it clear, he felt the same.

The OLD Jedi couldn't, but it says nothing about Luke & after (not that you're saying that, either).

As for Yoda & Obi-Wan post-Order 66, that was probably more to do with their decision to lay low, keep an eye on the kids, and wait for the Force to guide them. By the time it happened, Obi-Wan was too old, and Yoda...well, he'd probably been too old for a century or more. And Yaddle was already dead & gone anyway. ;)

8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    New fear: Having the boards here fill up nonstop arguments over little details that dont matter to regular people but to fans here it warrants entire pages worth of arguments that totally distract from the meaning of the thread. :p

9. Master Blaster

Mar 5, 2013
    It was a completely reckless gamble and in many ways it was a disaster. But he managed to escape with a valuable piece of information and some valuable experience. But it didn't go as planned at all.

I think he knew it wouldn't be that easy. But you never know until you ask, right? He did have faith in his friends. As far as I know, that is not forbidden by the Jedi Code. Not that Luke knew anything about any Jedi Code. Which is why it seems so silly that people extrapolate so much from Luke's actions as if his every decision is forming the template for the foundation of a new Jedi Way. He was just flying by the seat of his pants, doing what he had to do with what little options he had available. The way I see it, once there is a reconvening of a new Jedi Council (assuming that happens) I wouldn't think they'd base their organizational decisions solely on what worked for Luke in a tight situation, or what Yoda mumbled to him in a semi-delirious state.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If it's Luke "reconvening the New Jedi Council" - then it'll be him that sets the tone for How Things Are Done.

And, given that Yoda said "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be" - it's going to be hard to find other candidates for reconvening it- though it's possible that some Jedi simply forsook what they thought of as the Jedi Way in order to survive.

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Exactly. Luke's the big boss now, he chooses whether or not to forsake or allow attachment–and given his track record with Leia pre-twin discovery, I find it very doubtful that he would see romantic relations as a bad thing, even not taking EU into account. If you do take EU into account, then Luke once commented that while he did know about the no-attachments rule (Yoda told him at some point), he decided it didn't apply anymore. And he has the right to do that, because he's in charge.

Darth_Pevra and Circular_Logic like this.
  12. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    My greatest fear is J. J. Abrams and Disney losing sight of what made Star Wars so successful in the first place.

Equal to that, is my fear that even one of the OT cast members' characters will be killed. I've been a fan for as long as I can remember, and imo it would be crushing to witness the originals come back to not only pass a non-existent torch, but also to not be given their just desserts, a well-deserved happily-ever-after. They are set to return after nearly 30 years to offer even more to the series that we love, and they could continue to be brought back to help the story along in the SST (don't know what the trilogy after the ST would be called, Sequel-Sequel Trilogy is what I'm going with) where again the benefit of well-known talent will be an asset.

Jeff Zach likes this.
  13. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013

Sorry Darth Claire and the rest, I'll end my debate here. I am certainly willing to take my opinions offline or to a more appropriate thread with Master Blaster if he would like.

I am very interested in the way the New Jedi Order will be handled in the next film, and do appreciate your views Master Blaster, but aren't you extrapolating a bit yourself here?
    I am of the opinion that the rules and stringency of the Jedi during the Clone Wars may have been part of the reason why the Jedi couldn't sense the Sith -- too caught up in process with no room for "flying by the seat of their pants."

Luke starts fresh and doesn't know much about the rules and procedures, I would like to see the NJO continue this way.

14. Master Blaster

Mar 5, 2013
    Then why even have a Jedi Council? Just name Luke the Jedi Dictator and if anyone complains he can say, "Hey! I saved the galaxy! What have you done??" No, man.....a council counsels. They discuss, they ponder, they meditate on things and discuss and reflect and then come to a consensus. Maybe his opinion is the final word, but I don't think Luke would want to impose his views on everyone. That would be arrogant, and then people might start to think, "How different from his daddy is this fellow anyhow?" Eh....I'm rambling. I'm quitting this thread now, honest. Anyone who wants to bicker with me, contact me privately. Peace.

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Grand Master > Dictator.

The Grand Master takes the Council's decisions into mind, but they're ultimately in charge. If you take EU into account (and you don't, but I won't go there), Luke tried to give the Council full charge over the Jedi. Know what happened? The younger, more active Jedi on the Council wanted to charge headfirst into battle the enemies, and the older, wiser ones wanted to wait and see, make sure they really needed to get involved. This is why the Jedi need a Grand Master–they're the mediator, the ultimate decision-maker who weighs both sides of the argument and ultimately does as the Force tells them is right. If they didn't have a Grand Master there'd be no one to make these decisions and the Jedi would be split apart. In other words, Luke's the boss, like Yoda was the boss, and Luke can make the decisions. Besides, to start out with there won't be a Jedi Council; it'll just be Luke and whatever students he can find. So Luke sets the rules for the generations of Jedi to come.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Aw goad, you had to remind me of NJO, didn't you? If anything it proves that Jedi-dictatorship is bad because the decisions the older masters made were horrible. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

I am not sure if Luke is a great leader, honestly. He has his strengths to be sure and I like the character a lot, but as leader?
    That's why I hope the Jedi have a democratic leadership system.

Actually Star Wars shares a lot with soap opera. What do you have? Mysterious deaths, evil dads who reveal themselves in the most dramatic fashion, lost twins, intrigue, betrayal and impossible recoveries from near death. The only thing missing is evil twin. And that is not surprising because soaps and Star Wars are made from similar, melodramatic material. I would not have it any other way.

But I do want to see some important non-Skywalker characters. Not everything should be about the "holy family".

17. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    My only fear, really, is that they'll needlessly throw in another horrible "comic-relief for kiddies" character like Binks. There's a fan-made re-edit of TPM floating around the net where all the scenes showing Jar-Jar are cut from the film...and it ROCKS.

So I hope they don't make that mistake again. I'm not bashing the PT, here, just so the mods know...I loved 'em...just not Jar-Jar.

18. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    too much cgi, i've really, really really come to the point where i can follow something and then once the movie comes to the "big fighting blow up over the top action scene with animated humans" my mind just starts to filter it out, and once that happens something clicks and i know its a one watch movie. MOS had me for a long time and then it just got so ridiculous at the end with animated humans and stuff that i simply just went blah by the end.

its sad because they do it so much that you detach from the movie. when will it end?

i can take backgrounds and space and plenty of other stuff but your mind knows the difference between things that are real and solid usually, and living things that are animated, and that is the reason why im sure many people like me cannot connect to many movies that overuse it.

i hope the future is a bunch of junk movies like transformers overusing cgi, and some minority of directors actually crafting movies again with very little cgi and it begins some new revolution in movies again as GL did so long ago with the original film.

im not trying to bother anyone with this cgi talk, but really ive hit a wall with those types of movies and theyre not getting my money. needless to say, SW7 has my total support as did all 3 prequels. though, that the issue of near total animation of the prequels is what makes me not watch them nearly the same amount of times as the the original series, i just cant immerse as well when its animated.

Sarge and ConnorLovesPadme like this.
  19. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I think the last bit of you post is an excellent story idea. It's a recipe for an excellent story!
    The Force is life. It is unnatural to prevent the Jedi from creating life in positive, loving relationships.
    Citizens of the Republic may demand this reform so Jedi have skin in the game (no pun intended).
    If there were generations we would have no ST.

20. ConnorLovesPadme

ConnorLovesPadme Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2013
    This.

Since it will be a Disney production and the vast majority of Disney movies are CGI it's my biggest fear that the majority of the movies will be CGI also, I hope I am wrong.

21. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001

jeez, i hope you're wrong, i really do. i have a lot of hope for jj abrams, think about it, a positive is he has been in charge of some shows and movies where you actually began to care and feel an attachment to the characters. wasnt he the dude who did lost? how could you not care about the characters of lost? fringe? characters were teh driving force. and star trek? he could have made that awful like almost every other reboot of the past decade but aside from some issues, it was pretty solid.

a negative is that although he is one of the directors that likes to build sets, nothing compares to the rich detail of the lived in sets of SW.

another positive is maybe he will use guys in helmets and costumes over cgi people, wow nothing looks more offensive to the brain as when it tries to absorb animated humans. and whats the deal with nearly every movie since cgi was made where there has to be a giant army fighting another giant army on land? maybe we will be spared?

i dont know, ive guess ive made my point at this point. if they give you a zillion dollars to make a movie, build some sets, put some guys in helmets, and make the characters and their issues the focus while providing some never seen before stuff and voila you have a hit.
    or
    they give you a zillion dollars, animate the heck out of everyone and everything, animate a flying monkey compadre, have a giant army fight another army, take a new technology and make it the focus of your movie and voila you have *hit.

22. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    That I'll have to take a bathroom break in the middle of it, and either A. I'll miss something, or B. have my enjoyment diminished by my distracting bladder. :p

Darth Eddie likes this.
  23. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    That Jar Jar will be alive and will have had kids and those kids are now on adventures with the main cast.

24. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

haha.

Hey Sarge, you are an old-timer. Wow...Episode VII is bringing everybody out of their hibernation pods.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

I'm not worried about that. Wear an adult diaper or see it multiple times. :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.