main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I have no idea what the context of this video is, but Michael Rooker (Merle from The Walking Dead, or that guy from Mallrats) as a Mandalorian has to be seen to be believed. [face_laugh]

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    To me most of the critcism came across as Jedi fan dissapointment, more than anything else. A lot of people are very critical of Mandalorians seemingly getting the best of the Jedi in LOTF, yet when Jag Fel killed Alema Rar there was no outcry - and arguably most Mandalorian warriors would be better at hand to hand combat than Jag is.

Anyway, did I mention that voting for Roly Melusar is now open :p

Mia Mesharad and Commander_Ducky like this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Who were the nominees again? :p

4. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Ron Rifkin, Michael Fassbender and Kyle Maclachlan. Those are the nomenees -- cast your votes now!

I vote Michael Fassbender. Young, but seems capable and carismatic by his appearence.

5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    You forgot Tom Sizemore, who would be my vote. ;)

[​IMG]

Robimus and Commander_Ducky like this.
  6. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I did! And he would be my vote too. So change the vote for Michael Fassbender to Tom Sizemore. Looks like he could be from Dromund Kaas.

Robimus likes this.
  7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Tom Sizemore gets my vote for 'Holy Roly'!

Robimus likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Is there a compiled list of all the characters for whom there has been a completed voting session- and which actors were eventually voted as appropriate?

9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Yup, just a few pages back.

[​IMG]

10. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    All good choices. Since he didn't win when I nominated him for Vau, I'll throw my support for Tom Sizemore for Roly. He's that good an actor. :p

Robimus and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  11. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I'm wondering. Is the word Oya derived from any of our languages? Is it Opa! from Greek?

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Which movie is that pic' taken from?

13. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Bitte

15. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I think its safe to say that Tom Sizemore has been voted in to portray Roly Melusar!

I'll update the list and get thet next character up early next week. :)

16. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Just got something in my head I want to ask you. Off-topic yet on-topic at the same time. :p

Does anyone here wish that the Death Watch in The Clone Wars began as wearing the Open Seasons helmets and leaving Pre Vizsla with the regular, Supercommando helmet? It denotes him as the leader just as much as his colour scheme and symbols after all, so it would have served it's purpose. And then later, in season 4, as Vizsla got his new helmet, the regular warriors could have worn the Supercommando helmet as an evolution. I believe concept art for the show had an original Death Watch helmet there, but vetoed by Lucas.

It would have tied the EU with the show much more than having them all as Jango Fetts to start with. It would have reminded us, the über fans of the Mandalorians, of the greed, brutality and gangsterism the Death Watch is all about instead of the honour the True Mandalorians represent. To others, seeing Pre Vizsla would seem like a major Boba Fett moment. One Mandalorian who wore the iconic helmet while the others had these strange, squinted helmets they had never seen before. It would have been more fresh to them.

Since TCW showed us the Mandalorians, I often had to remind myself that the Death Watch are far from the mainstream. That they are despised. It's mainly because they look like the mainstream, like the True Mandalorians and the other honourable clans. Burning down the village on Carlac brought me back to that "Death Watch reality", that yes, they were of Tor Vizsla's mould.

Would you as well have preferred that? Or do you think it's OK as it is?

17. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    On the one hand, I think your idea could have worked pretty well as you described it.

And yet, in my opinion, the Open Seasons-style helmet has an inherent weakness to it: it immediately identifies the wearer's affiliation with Death Watch, and hearkens to a time when the Death Watch were at their absolute worst. It's the face of atrocities, it's the face of the people who killed a beloved Mand'alor, and it's the face any Mandalorian of the clans loyal to the ideals Jaster Mereel had fought and died for would recognize as the face of the enemy. It's an unmistakable target, and with the Death Watch largely operating in hiding—keeping to the fringes, moving against isolated New Mandalorian targets, hiding their intentions behind the criminal Shadow Collective—the last thing they wanted to do was draw unneeded attention from the clans who may still have some less than warm feelings for the group and the ideology personified by those helmets. It also goes rather well with the emerging Death Watch plot introduced in Imperial Commando: 501st: when the Death Watch finally do begin to move amongst the warrior clans again, they do so as brethren seeking to win over the people rather than kill them, dressed in the same style of helmets and armor, rather than donning the look of an opposing force. These "Other" tactics have failed, both in the Mandalorian Civil War and in the subsequent Great Clan Wars. It was time for a new approach, and with that, a new face.

Contessa, Robimus, Hansa and 3 others like this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, I don't mind that they used the Super-commando style helmets rather than the old Death Watch ones. It does make them a target, and if they didn't have a helmet that was in some way similar to Jango's, then there would've been no reason for Obi-Wan to visit Mandalore since the Republic might not have recognized it as a Mandalorian helmet (though, since Obi-Wan was Satine's bodyguard during the Civil War, it's not out of the question that he saw one then). But overall, Mia covered it with the fact that they need to be as similar to other Mandalorians as possible so they wouldn't be targeted.

19. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    That thought hadn't occurred to me. Makes sense.

20. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    Just out of curiosity we don't have a heirarchy here right? Just Mandalore, who is Bardan_Jusik. By the way Bardan, do you have title at all? Like Mandalore the _____.

Really random question that popped in my head but I had to ask them haha

21. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    We do have a hierarchy of sorts. Due to their long standing here as members and their contributions over the years we have our ehn alore (three leaders). These are mando'ade who have taken on more responsibilities within the thread either currently or in the past. Within the ranks of the mando'ade there is no hierarchy or structure however. I have taken on no title other than mand'alor. I figure it is enough. ;)

Our current roster is as follows.

Mand'alor

Beskaryc Taab -- Bardan_Jusik

ehn alore

Sumibor te Sol'yc -- Robimus

Haran Senaar -- Commander_Ducky

-- Darth_Zandalor

Mando'ade

-- Sinrebirth

Kurshi Woor -- Rebecca_Daniels

Saviin Jetii -- Todd the Jedi

Canderous Skirata -- Tim Battershell

-- Genet'kabur Kyramud

Kotyc Cuyan -- awesomejedi

-- Mia Mesharad

Beskarjag Ordo -- Zeta1127

Kyrar Darasuum - General Valerian

Mirdala Ordo- Whitelight

[​IMG]

Robimus and Genet-Cabur Kyramud like this.
  22. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    For a couple of years we actually operated with no Mandalore, just our Triumverate back before Dha Lanna departed us.

As times changed our senior membership thought it might be better to have one central leader to simplify things within the community as a whole - same deal with deciding on having a senator after years of not having one.

Bardan could be Mandalore the Reluctant(because nobody else wanted the job :p)

Meh, it is the best I could come up with on short notice :p

23. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    Yeah I figured we had to at least have a Mandalore...although it could be interesting if anyone has the desire to step up to the plate (not me, but I like helping out in other ways) but if someone did want to step up to the plate...would they have to be voted or fight to the death for it haha.

24. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    As we get more active members we can definitly revisit things like who is Mandalore, or who represents us in the senate. Simply put we haven't always had people interested in filling those positions and taking on the responsibilites, such as they are :p

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  25. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    Well if everyone else interested, I suggest we collaborate to come up with an initiative to push for a stronger mando'ade

EDIT: Suggestion; like posting on Reddit or other SW forums?