main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone think Darth Vader will *not* be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by MiamiJedi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Do American soldiers struggle with the temptation to join Al-Qaeda?

2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I would suggest that this feeling of not wanting predictability is misled in a sequel trilogy. I can understand the sentiment with the solo films, or when the story takes a huge leap forward or backward in time. As it is now, episode 7 has to make sense as a sequel to the first six movies. There may be a new villain, but it should relate to the already established themes and characters; which opens the Vader possibility. Predictability isn't necessarily a bad thing in this context.

Also, in the comics, there have been impersonators of superman, and some of those stories I've read have been interesting.

But when anyone makes the argument that Vader (whatever version) should play no role at all in the ST, they might as well be arguing for no new Batman films. If you recontextualize Vader or his armor in an interesting way, it could be great.

Personally, I would be very excited by a new version of Vader. And death in the Star Wars universe is never final. We have the unnatural power of the darkside, the concept of living forever, and eternal force ghosts. Maybe you don't like this universe, but this is the universe.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    What does that have to do with Jedi struggling with the dark side? :confused: This is a sci-fi fantasy series we're talking about not Zero Dark Thirty. In movies like the one I just mentioned American soldiers absolutely struggle with things that are appropriate to that genre. In SW it is the dark side and if you take out that struggle the characters journey would seem pretty bland to me.

kainee, Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    How about then struggling with the question of what the right thing to do is?

Sean Sinclair and Dra--- like this.
  5. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That's a poor analogy. The better one would be do American soliders struggle with using overly aggressive tactics or cruelty and extreme violence, or urges for power and revenge. Of course.

6. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Dear Lord,

I fear that Episode 7 will turn out like Godfather 3.

Please forgive us.

Yours,

Lord TW

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd say American soldiers joining Al-Qaeda is the better analogy for Jedi becoming Sith.

@A Chorus of Disapproval, you should be in the ST with double-posters as the villains!

8. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    Okay, so the force ghosts COULD be explored as a theme that flows though the trilogy of trilogies. It is a big mystery.

But if that is the case, even more reason for Darth Vader to NOT appear.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That can be a part of it sure but that's not quite as personal as a person's journey to overcome the dark side especially given the family history. There are new ways the films can explore this concept now that it is known that Vader is Luke's father. Luke didn't have much time to consider this revelation in the film before he went to redeem his father so now we have the opportunity to see the impact Anakin's legacy has had not only on Luke and Leia but the next generation as well. I would hate to see that opportunity wasted.

kainee and Dra--- like this.
  10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Agreed. It is THEE existential theme in the SW mythology.

Dra--- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Do you have a reason? Or do you think restating the proposition again is enough?

The more accurate opposition to American soldiers in regards to ideology would probably be communism. American soldiers don't necessarily have a religious POV while Al-Qaeda does.

American soldiers also preemptively strike. Which is an act of aggression. To use American soldiers is just a bad starting point for an analogy.

12. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    ...and the eternal Force ghost is Anakin. Not Vader. And the "one" who achieved immortality, mentioned by Palpatine, was Qui-Gon (tho how HE knew about Qui-Gon was never explained, of course, just like it's never explained how Yoda knew of the Rule of Two).

Comics are a different animal... what works in comics, like superheroes or supervillains being impersonated by others, might not play in movies.

Predictability IS still a bad thing in the sequels. It's the idea that has led to hundreds of fans--casual or otherwise--saying they expect Luke to die in VII because Qui-Gon died in I and Obi-Wan died in IV. It's catering to the wrong kinds of fans... the fans that swore up & down back in '99/'00 that Padme WOULD die in Episode III, that she HAD to die because she wasn't in the OT. And guess what? She died. It was predictable, and completely nonsensical as it failed to connect in any logical way with Padme's ONE mention in the OT in the conversation between Luke & Leia in ROTJ about THEIR mother. "Oh, she was talking about Breha Organa even tho that makes no sense... oh, she remembered Padme thru the Force cuz she was in the womb a minute longer than Luke... oh...uh...yeah, that part of EpIII was REALLY poorly written."

What ties all the movies together is the Skywalker legacy. Vader is a PART of that, but Vader doesn't literally have to be in every episode, as Anakin OR Vader. Anakin's story has ended... time for Skywalker descendants to take center stage.

kainee likes this.
  13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Want to explain the point further? How do you know there's no reason?

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps a better analogy would be capitalists struggling with becoming communists?

15. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    And they will...with baggage.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I believe you're mistaking predictability for poor execution.

17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    How about we quit the analogy? We don't need it. We already know what happens when Jedi struggle with gray areas. They risk falling to the darkside. It's the same thing, essentially. The wrong step into a gray area may lead to the darkside.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Dra--- STOP DOUBLE POSTING. I DON'T WANT TO BAN PEOPLE, BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    Because the point of the entire saga to date centers on how the dark side does NOT lead to immortality. Force ghosts = immortality. Only by renouncing the dark side, and thus the Darth Vader persona, did Anakin achieve immortality as a force ghost.

P.S. stop double-posting, you'll get banned.

P.P.S. I just used the edit function to add the P.S.

20. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Execution, or themes, motifs that are an integral part of the overall saga. Being unpredictable has its dilemmas, too. Be careful of what you wish for because you might not be watching a Star Wars movie in 2015. It will be so unpredictable and unrecognizable, too.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I had no idea I've ever doubleposted on here before. My internet is acting slow; maybe that's why. Since I can't control it right now, I guess I'll stop posting for the time being.
    Sorry.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    From our handy Guide To Better Posting:
    What is "double posting"? Double posting is when you post in a thread and then post again without someone else posting first; this is not allowed and you will be edited and warned. Listed below are quite a few ways to avoid double posting: 1. If you think of something else to say, the edit button is your friend. 2. You can tag someone to get their attention by putting @their user name. 3. To quote multiple people you can hit 'reply on a post, type your thoughts then hit reply on another post. 4. Use the quote button at the top of the reply screen. 5. Use BB code for quoting(remove the spaces): [ quote={name}]{text}[ /quote ]

Dra--- and Sean Sinclair like this.
  23. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    That baggage doesn't have to literally be appearances by Vader, however, impostors or otherwise.

As for internal conflict w/o the dark side... hey, Han Solo anyone? No 'risks falling to the dark side' required.

They can absolutely have conflicts with the Jedi-type leads WITHOUT them risking a fall to the dark side in any serious way... they don't need to walk up to the edge like Luke did in ROTJ, they don't need to fall like Anakin did in ROTS... maybe the descendants simply get it right and never come close to falling, and have OTHER, different issues to struggle with. That could be refreshing. Take a break from Skywalker family members being at risk of falling to the dark side... they can always do that later in the X-XII trilogy with Luke's grandkids. If they DON'T skip a generation with that 'conflict' now, though, it'll become 'tradition' and everyone will expect every generation of Skywalkers/Solos to have to deal with the temptation throughout a chunk of each trilogy, and every other trilogy will have one fall completely to become the villain of the NEXT trilogy, etc

24. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    Jaiden Solo will NEVER be tempted to join the dark side...but he has a MEAN case of dyslexia. Mwah ha ha

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's not about a tradition for me, it's about an essential part of the spiritual journey every Jedi must take and I don't think that should skip a generation. I don't want to see the dark side neutered for a trilogy. It should remain a real, palpable threat.