main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I wouldn't mind that either. Sure the books won't be the "real" timeline but so what, Disney wont come into my house and take all my books. There were some good contributions and some...not so good contributions, I'm good with whatever they decide to do.

2. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    *ahem* I...uh, oh, never mind. I'm not going to argue with ya about the best SW EU novel ever written (not including Death Troopers). Chewie lovers never can agree about that book, no matter what I say about the quality of Salvatore's writing.

I won't deny that Chewie was an iconic character, but...c'mon, really? What you're basically saying is that the ST won't be successful if Chewie's not in it...? I don't care if they bring him back or not, personally...but I'm absolutely 100% certain that the ST will still be a mega-blockbuster even if Chewie stays dead.

I think it's likely they'll bring him back, anyway. LOL! All I'm saying is, they don't need to just to make the ST successful. Every SW fan in the world who owns an essential/visual guide is aware of Chewie's fate.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Goodbye KJA! Goodbye Sith species!

Volderon likes this.
  4. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    I wonder what the authors think about the possibility of the EU being totally thrown out.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Same. KJA clearly doesn't mind.

6. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008

The problem with this is that they've already started with some good quality questions that won't be answered and I'd be pissed. Not to mention that I would have all this information in my head that doesn't matter anymore which sucks.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Same. The post-NJO EU has left a bad taste in my mouth and really, if that is all thrown out, I wouldn't miss it one bit. But the stories I do enjoy? I'll still have those books to read over and over again. I know some people are up in arms about the whole "official" status of the EU, but how I look at it, most of us have our own personal canon anyway. If we're picking and choosing even with the EU still going strong, what's going to stop us from continuing to do so once Disney hits the 'eject' button? That's the beauty of a fictional universe.

8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    *Note: I know absolutely nothing about EU economics and rights things so please correct me if I'm wrong* I would really hate it if the usage of the EU lead to some insane legal battles where Eu writers are claiming that "The characters and events shown in this movie were directly from this book I wrote *and those characters were creations of mine and NOT from Lucas* but George used them and is getting full character and story credit when in fact they were my creations SO I should get paid and be given story/character credit for the usage of those characters/events". That would not be fun for both Lucasfilm and fans because I can totally see it dividing them. Some fans claiming the writer should get credit while others saying that the characters are property of Lucas and he doesn't owe that dude anything. Please tell me if they use EU we can avoid that HIGHLY unlikely but still annoying incident.

I also would not enjoy the inevitable "Ugh Lucas was soo lazy that he cant make any original ideas anymore so he's just copying Star Wars FANFIC now and claiming its an "entirely original story" when its not even his own ideas! How lazy and unoriginal" Lucas-bashing we will get.

9. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    I think the writers know that they don't own the characters they create. Its like DC writers. They can create new villains but guess what, if they leave the comic book, say "Detective Comics" that villain is DC's.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, the writers don't own the OCs in the EU.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    WHEW well thats a relief. Now I just hope we dont have tons of fans *and maybe some bitter writers* pointing out all the differences from EU vs movie or even WORSE...if the movie sucks it makes the EU look worse *kinda like how people go "Well the source material sucked so it makes sense the movie failed" thus making it harder to defend the EU because if an oscar-winning writer couldn't make it work then well....maybe it shouldn't have been used.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd love it if people finally see the EU for the horror that it is. I'm sick of the idea (this isn't just for Star Wars) that everything must occur in the same continuity and be canon.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That particular point would be why Star Wars' EU has lasted oh, nearly forty years. Feel free to point out another movie-based expanded universe that did.

14. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    One thing I wonder would be "Which is worse: Seeing your EU characters brought to screen but not done well, or have there be new original characters in the ST that end up being more loved than the EU ones". Each would be painful in a sense (well to EU fans). One for not having the EU brought to life the way you want, while the other being seeing people enjoy the new "Ot3 children" instead of the "First OT3 children" thus making the EU children look worse by comparison. Which do you think would hurt more?
    EDIT: Both options have their benefits though. EU to screen means they are canon and well...on the big screen but the second one means they are safe from being harmed and thus dont have the risk of being ruined. HMmm...which is better

black_saber likes this.
  15. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    I think it would probably be split down the middle, judging from discussions of Man of Steel on the CBR forums. But I find Star Wars fans are a bit calmer than comic book people (just by these forums). But anyways, man, that stuff is intense with some of the older fans and what happened in the movie over at CBR.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    In all seriousness, that's the sort of thing that's made me call him underrated in the past. He may not be a good writer in the technical sense, but given the nature of shared universe writing and the EU's historical trouble with lack of cohesion, we could have used a lot more people with his apparent lack of ego/possessiveness when it comes to his works.

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    1. What's CBR?
    2. Considering what I've seen from Star Wars fans, I can't imagine how vengeful comic book fans must be.

18. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Comic Book Resources and they have forums there and it gets pretty intense. :p

I think as long as they have interesting characters thats all that matters. If they get me to care for them like Michael Arndt did in Toy Story 3 I will have no problems. :)

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    But, really, philosophically speaking, does an encyclopedic knowledge of ANY fictional universe really matter all that much?

20. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Another little EU question: Assuming the EU is not used, do you think we will still see the EU post-ROTJ characters in future EU stuff? A part of me sees Lucasfilm/Disney demanding all the future EU comics/books/ect star characters from the new movies in an attempt to avoid confusion from new fans (like "I thought Han's son was this guy...who the heck is Jacen? He wasn't in the movie?"). You know basicly creating a new EU. Do you think thats possible or do you think they will continue to use the same EU characters *like continue to have novels acting like Jaina is Han's daughter while the movie says otherwise* just to please the old EU fans.

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It isn't to the thousands of EU fans out there, thank you very much.

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

I don't think you'll get an answer, Claire. It's been asked a few times in this thread, but the conversation always gets rerouted back into 'how to shoehorn as much of the EU as possible into the ST' - and after reading the spoilers for Crucible (I swear, every time I think 'Oh! It can't get any worse...' *blurge*) I'm leaning more towards the 'Just AU the lot...'

darklordoftech and Darth Claire like this.
  23. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    Anti-EU logic: Post-ROTJ EU is bad, so we should nuke it all.

Noticing that all over this thread.

SithStarSlayer and DarthBoba like this.
  24. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I noticed that. My prediction is that if EU is not used then there is a pretty good chance we wont be seeing Jaina/Jacen/whatever other MAJOR EU characters in any novels/comics that aren't stated as being AU or a "what if" comic. I can totally see Lucasfilm shifting all EU focus to being on the new characters so in a way....the new Sequel trilogy characters will become EU characters because they will have novels and comics made about them.

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There was a lot of discussion about possible cutoff points as well. But that heavily depends on if Jaina and Jacen are in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.