main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Shadows of the Empire multimedia project

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Vidar, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Darth Vidar

Darth Vidar Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2013
    Such a great novel! I came across this title, by the same author. It's called "Omnibus". Anybody here read it, is a sequel to SOTE?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That is the comic book version of Shadows of the Empire (which has a few scenes the novel does not), plus a short sequel, called, I think, Shadows of the Empire: Evolution, focusing on the Human Replica Droid Guri.

I've read it and think it's good.

It also has the Mara Jade comic book story By the Emperor's Hand.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Need to read the book again soon. The comic was great.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You must not be familiar with comics if you thought Omnibus was the title. :p But yeah, what IL said. The comic version focuses a lot on Boba Fett's role in the story, just like the game focuses on Dash.

Really, SOTE was a great project and its characters and other miscellanea have made such a large impact on the EU. It's telling that SOTE's reach is far when Xizor got a name drop in Darksaber, which was released about half a year before SOTE even came out.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Darth Vidar

Jul 9, 2013
    No, not into the comics :)

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, in that case, "omnibus" is a term used for a collection of an entire comic series into a set of volumes -- like a trade paperback writ large.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

I didn't know that! Huh.

Also Darth Vidar, there was a video game that came out at the same time as the novel as well, which explained the story more from the point of view of Dash (plus you could explore Xizor's palace, which is just plain awesome): http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Shadows_of_the_Empire_(video_game)

And there was a really weird card game. I mean realllllllly weird. Some of the pictures have been uploaded on Wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Images_from_Shadows_of_the_Empire_trading_cards

Plus, there's the newer novel, Shadow Games, which serves as a prequel of sorts to SOTE. It's sort of a mystery novel about Dash. It's a fun read. Michael Reeves, one of the authors, is a friend and often co-author with SOTE's Steve Perry.

8. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Don't forget the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack, the most interesting thing included with that was Dha Werda Verda.

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  9. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    It's the only omnibus I actually own. The SOTE comics are pretty good, if a bit short on some details. We get to see Jix and the Boba Fett parts of the comic are pretty good as well. It's necessarily incomplete though because it's a cross media project. SOTE: Evolution is odd, to be sure, but even that can be good fun. Shadow Stalker's more interesting to me though.

Shadows of the Empire is my favorite media endeavor in the EU. Between it and TTT, I think they get the "feel" of the OT films down pretty well.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Agreed, particularly about the SotE media project as a whole. It was great, and came at the perfect time -- right alongside the SEs and all that. The comics were probably my favorite part of the blitz back in the day because I think they were the first real good look at Coruscant until the ROTJ SE, although the novel's my favorite now since Perry just had the banter and feel of the characters right (and still has the definitive Vader portrayal in a novel!). And considering that the game, soundtrack, and even the toys were really great too... that says something.

I remember always playing the Skyhook battle level at the little demo set-ups they had at Target :p

rumsmuggler likes this.
  11. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I've never been a comic person, really. Only in recent years have I shiftily sneaked into comic stores to buy Knight Errant, Legacy, and Dawn of the Jedi. But I remember, as a kid, buying comics to read on the beach every summer. SOTE and Dark Empire were the big ones. I remember being amazed that Boba Fett was alive and thinking that Luke's swoop chase through Beggar's Canyon was one of the coolest things.

It's partly nostalgia coloring my take on SOTE, definitely but it still holds up after all these years.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, and I almost forgot the excellent SotE sourcebook that WEG put out. I didn't read that one until a few years ago, but it's fantastic in expanding the details of little references like the Manarai restaurant and various alien species casually mentioned in the novel. Most importantly, it has a rather significant section on Imperial high society on Coruscant [face_love]

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Huh. I didn't know DWV was originally created for SOTE.

14. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It was, but the SotE version of Dha Werda Verda is a much different version than the "Rage of the Shadow Warriors"/Dha Werda Verda track from Republic Commando.

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Really? Huh. I'll have to Youtube it or something.

Edit: Wow, that is different. The current Dha Werda seems more primitive, like what you'd hear in a one-on-one or one-on-multiple-opponents fight. The older one seems like what you'd hear in a battle between 1000 vs. 1000, or something like that; basically a huge, epic war. That's kind of cool!

16. Darth Vidar

Jul 9, 2013
    Thanks for all answers, guys :)

17. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Dha Werda Verda from Republic Commando was heavily influenced by the songs and war chants of native Pacific islanders, so perhaps "tribal" would be a better word than "primitive." Not that I'm implying any malicious intent on your part.

Contessa, Giovs and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    No, no, no. Nothing malicious intended at all. Tribal was actually what I meant to say but I couldn't remember the word, so I used primitive instead. Actually, I'm a huge Mandalorian fan, so I'd never insult them. But yes, I could definitely see the influence of Pacific islanders.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I recently played the N64 version of Shadows of the Empire for the first time in over decade at a friend's. It was great fun, as good as I remembered it being. The level design and soundtrack in particular I thought were pretty good for the time.

Kind of funny how it made the Coruscant sewers look like some quasi-medieval dungeon from Quake, though.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I wonder if they built over TotJ Coruscant?

darklordoftech and RC-1991 like this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

There are also a SotE Planet Guide and of course the epic Secrets of the Sisar Run as parts of the SotE project :)

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Include Mark Cottar Vaz's Secrets of SW Shadows of the Empire book. It's a look at the whole project (book, comic, game, figures, etc). Great book! Amazon UK has a 'Look Inside' here.

23. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    LMAO

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Which piece of SoTE sountrack is Dha Werda Verda in? I looked through and coundn't find it.

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    it's not in the SOTE soundtrack. It's from Republic Commando