main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How did Obi Wan Know Who Owen was and where he lived when he gave Luke to him?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Morgan Freeman, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgan Freeman

Morgan Freeman Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2013
    My only thought could be that Anakin told everyone about the sand people killing. I'm pretty sure only Palpatine knew that, though. Also, how did the empire not find Obi Wan?

2. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I'm pretty sure Anakin had to explain himself, for being on Tatooine when he was supposed to be on Naboo.

As for not finding Obi Wan, I'm assuming since Tatooine is still an outer-rim planet, the Empire's presence isn't really felt there yet(until they chased Tantive 4 there. That combined with (I'm assuming) Ben's limited use of the Force while he was in hiding. I also think it's kind of like the Jedi not finding Anakin at a younger age, due to being so far from the core planets.

3. rincewind86

rincewind86 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2013
    that or maybe obi wan asked around if shmi had someone close in her last years as he returned to tattooine in E3. then someone told him the story about her beeing freed and all else.

4. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I would think that Padme's ship had the location in it memory. Also, Anakin told her about the Sandpeople.

5. rincewind86

rincewind86 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2013
    and there are still the droids, too. r2 was with ani in E2 right? and after E3 he did not get his memory wiped..
    i think damn R2 is the only beeing in SW Universe who saw it all and knows it all (he even appeared 100 Y ABY in the Legacy comics)

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This is probably the simplest explanation. Wild Space actually has Yoda tell Obi-Wan that Shmi is dead- and to ask Anakin what happened. He does. But it's not covered in any detail- and other sources strongly hint that Anakin couldn't have told them about the massacre of the Sand People, at least, otherwise he'd have been kicked out of the Order, which didn't happen.

7. Sophdeon

Sophdeon Jedi Knight

Oct 25, 2010
    Bingo! The Republic had little to no presence on Tatooine, thus the Empire's presence was also limited.

Plus, Yoda and Obi-Wan chose locations they thought would not be searched. In Obi-Wan's case, Tatooine carries powerful memories of Anakin's childhood. Seeking to avoid his previous identity, the pain of his losses (his mother, Padme), and his unfortunate status as a slave while a child, Darth Vader probably had little desire to return.

8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    It's possible that Anakin simply told Obi-Wan about the Lars and their moisture farm after explaining why he was on Tatooine. That doesn't mean he told Obi-Wan about his massacre of the Tuskens.

Who would Palpatine be searching for? As far as he and Anakin knew, Padme's unborn child died with her. And as far as Obi-Wan and Yoda knew, Anakin died o Mutafar by the end of ROTS.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Did it the old fashioned way - search for them.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I like how it's padawan Obi-wan Kenobi in Episode I who picks Tatooine as the planet the Queen's ship should land on... unknowingly picking the planet he'll spend the last 20 years of his life on. Imagine how different the saga would be if Obi-wan simply picked a different planet for them to land on.

11. Morgan Freeman

Morgan Freeman Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2013
    Then the Sith would have taken over since Anakin wasn't there to turn in Palpatine, but then again, if they found out, Mace could have killed Palpatine with no interference, making HIM the chosen one.

12. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Obi-Wan only needs to know the name "Lars" which he would have likely got from Anakin after AOTC (Anakin would have to explain the whole Tatooine thing, even if its unlikely he'd reveal the Tusken slaughter itself).

Come the end of ROTS, Obi-Wan goes to Tatooine, does some digging, hangs out in the cantina, does a few mind-tricks, finds out the Lars' location and makes contact. Cue end scene.

13. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
  14. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    Obi-wan's communication logs may have held the coordinates on Tatooine where his message (from Geonosis) to Anakin via Artoo connected? It would have been a good place to start looking.

15. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Or perhaps Anakin simply told Obi-Wan about the Lars' farm, following the events of AOTC. He would have to explain why he and Padme were on Tatooine in the first place.

Why have such complicated and difficult explanations for Obi-Wan's knowledge of the Lars' existence?

FARK2005 and Alexrd like this.
  16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Even if Anakin didn't tell Obi-Wan anything, they had C3PO with them who had lived with the Larses a number of years. If anyone could have told them, he could have. It would also explain (in part) when Bail Organa insisted that C3PO have his memory wiped once he was handed over to his new owner.

SlashMan likes this.
  17. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Anakin found the Lars farm very easily. Obi-Wan only had to do the same. He knew of Watto and would probably have take the same route to finding them - by simply asking where Shmi was living at the time of her death.

All that leaves is the question of how he knew about Shmi's death/the Lars family, and Anakin definitely would have told Obi-Wan about it. Obi-Wan was already Anakin's confidant as far as his dreams were concerned at the beginning of AOTC, so he presumably would have been okay with telling Obi-Wan about it. Besides, I'm sure even Anakin respected the fact that a doomed mission to save your dying mother is not something you keep from your master and best friend.

18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I just figured that Anakin told Obi-Wan about the Lars family and his mother dying, And he then possibly told the council...but Anakin only told Palpatine about having killed all of the Tusken Raiders... I would imagine the Jedi Council would be appalled at that!!

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That's certainly the take the EU seems to have gone with.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Owen is Obi-Wan's brother, duh.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes.... it seems the most logical way of progressing that part of the story, in my opinion...

As far as why Luke Lived on tattooine with the Lars family: I read somewhere (can't remember where) about how the reason Luke was safe there was because Obi-Wan knew that Darth Vader would never go back to tattooine, because the memory of his history there would cause him too much pain...or something...

Can't remember where I read that...

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The novel that had this explanation, was Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  23. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Aaah yes! thank you for that...a good one.

by the way, we should continue to see how much we can let our same avatars dominate the page!! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.