main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why didn't Anakin bring Padme back from the dead?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 25, 2013.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The most potent lies are mixed with the truth.

A good question to ask would be, why does Vader not get pissed off, as the years march by and the Emperor fails on this promise? The answer I suppose is despair of the highest order, and burying himself in the work of galactic subjugation.

2. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    Before Padme died, Anakin had a vision of her death. Darth Sidious told his new apprentice that he learned how to reanimate the dead (which he learned from Darth Plagueis). Even though Sidious told Anakin that he (Anakin) killed Padme, why did he never reanimate Padme so he could bring her back to life?
    ----------------

because no such power exists,

even if EU novels say so IMO.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He doesn't actually say "I can bring the dead to life"

What he says is first (of Plagueis) "he had the power to prevent the ones he cared about from dying"
    then:
    "I have the power to save the one you love"
    then
    "to cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret"

So- he doesn't actually say he can reanimate the dead.

In the Darth Plagueis novel, we see him and Plagueis reanimating the dead together- but it's a person who has literally only just expired- it may be closer to "magic CPR" than "reanimating someone who has been dead a while".

In the TCW TV series (which Lucas has contributed to, and personally considers canon)- the Nightsisters reanimate people who have been dead a while- but the process doesn't repair any decay- they seem like mindless, partially decayed zombies.

4. ConnorLovesPadme

ConnorLovesPadme Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2013
    As Darth Vader he doesn't seem to regret killing Padme does he?

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's interesting to see the novelization's take on the moment Anakin realises fully that he alone is to blame for Padme's death- all those droids exploding- are his failed attempt to kill Palpatine:

You did it.

You killed her.

You killed her because, finally, when you could have saved her, when you could have gone away with her, when you could have been thinking about her, you were thinking about yourself ...

It is in this blazing moment that you finally understand the trap of the dark side, the final cruelty of the Sith-

Because now your self is all you will ever have.

And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less than what you were, you are more than half machine, you are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power that you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow.

In the end, you do not even want to.

In the end, the shadow is all that you have left.

Because the shadow understands you, the shadow forgives you, the shadow gathers you unto itself-

And in your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame.

This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Forever ...

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I've always liked that bit and that's how I go with it. Like, even in this moment the horrible, terrible, awful Sith Lord looks at the still alive Anakin Skywalker, who is basically a torso, a head, and an arm, and tries to give a reassuring "There, there" pat but Anakin's skin is kind of on fire so he can't even do that. Even Palpatine has his sole moment of compassion the entire series. And I'm sure there's still evil intent behind it anyway. ("Hmmmm... well there is that life support suit I was always thinking about using...")

7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    He became a Dark Lord of the Sith, not a level 90 Necromancer.

8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Seems legit

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  9. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    Yeah doesn't surprise me considering the way of the Sith. Indeed, Sidious needed only to stretch out his hand, concentrate all his hate on Vader, and unleash the lightning. All within a matter of four or so seconds. Vader's life-support system would collapse upon the impact of force-lightning.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [​IMG]

11. ConnorLovesPadme

Jul 9, 2013
    Completely forgot about that, thanks for posting it.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Some are worth a thousand words and others just answer the question without saying a thing.:cool:

And, flat-out best a for that q.;)

13. ConnorLovesPadme

Jul 9, 2013
    Haha exactly, I was focusing more on the movies why there was no sign of guilt completely missing out on that scene.

14. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I completely agree with you.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    In ROTJ, Vader talks about Obi Wan and acts like Padme never existed... ;)

/sarcasm

16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

And yet, she was trying to tell Obi-Wan and Yoda that Anakin still had good within him, while she was dying. I don't think Sidious knew Padme that well. Didn't he knew that she knew about Tusken Massacre? Or that she still tried to turn him back on Mustafar, even after learning of the massacre at the Jedi Temple?

17. Michael McKean

Jun 5, 2013

18. Michael McKean

Jun 5, 2013
    That picture is like a reality check, emphasising the humanity of Vader. I'm going to assume this is Vader well before A New Hope, and this makes me wonder if his thoughts ever dwelt on Padme during the original trilogy, perhaps when Luke mentioned the name 'Anakin Skywalker' to him.

19. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I think that the dark side strengthened his paranoia and negative emotions to an extent. He believed that Padme was cheating on him with Obi-wan- despite previously stating that was impossible before he started talking to Sidious and using the Dark Side to take out younglings. That might be proof that the dark side led him to a more irrational state of mind.

However, as crazy and unbalanced as Anakin was when he first turned at Mustafar, he's much more in control and rational as a Sith Lord. I don't think that it's two separate personalities, but rather he's consciously ignoring his past life as a Jedi whenever it's convenient to.

I was annoyed when the ROTS novel tried to pin the blame on insomnia though. I haven't slept in an age and I have no urge to destroy the Jedi and take over the galaxy.

20. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000

I guess you miss the part where he is shouting, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  21. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Sidious was lying. He didn't possess those powers.

22. OnesionRa

OnesionRa Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2012
    Ok THAT is an LOL comment.

23. ConnorLovesPadme

Jul 9, 2013
    Is that all? Only shouting NOOOOOOOOOOO after killing your pregnant wife. Surely I'd be showing more guilt than just shouting that.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think anyone would watch a movie with Vader emo-ing for ten minutes about how guilty he feels.

25. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    How could Vader 'show' how guilty he feels? Sobbing into Palpatine's shoulder? Paging through his photo album of Padme memories and wiping tears off the photos?