main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sideshow Month long Comic Con Celebration

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jul 1, 2013.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Rather than offer exclusives at San Diego Comic Con, Sideshow is going to be announcing new goodies and offering exclusives for sale throughout the month.

I'm thinking this is

a) A way to combat scalpers who want to buy stuff only to jack the prices up online.
    b) This way they don't need to have the inventory now and can ship at a later date.
    c) Open "exclusives" to their full core audience and sell more items in the long run.

Anywhoo - today they put up their first item -
    Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)Sideshow Exclusive Edition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

. $179.99 - pre-order HERE!

Hando likes this.
  2. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    New to the forum and collecting threads obviously but a MASSIVE Sideshow fan so had to stop in here - was stoked when I saw this Fett up for a Pre-order and looking forward to it!

In fact its taken me a few days to find the Collecting threads!

3. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I have just ordered Boba :)

Welcome to the boards Hando :)

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Welcome, Hando!

My friend and Boba Fett fanatic ordered it as well. My focus is strictly on the actual vintage era stuff these days, but this one even made me think twice. It's beautiful.

Hando likes this.
  5. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Cheers Juke!!

It is beautiful and I do love Boba too. (loads of people seem to love to hate him these days!?!)
    I don't really concentrate on the vintage anymore due to space and funds and the Mrs doesn't mind if I slap my 1/6's straight into display cases.

(My main love was always 3 3/4" figures - and collected up to and including TVC. Haven't collected every set as I don't tend to get the ones I don't like . . . if that makes sense. Not been into the last few sets visually and this new black set - bleugh. [face_sick] - Personal view ONLY! )

6. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Likewise :D

Yeah there's a bit of a backlash against him since he became the prom king of the Star Wars universe. It's jealousy :p.

That's a good woman right there!

At retail I've only collected the "vintage style" figures for some time now (with a few exceptions). I will be collecting the 6" Black Series, and a few of the 3 3/4". My main passion is '77-'83 era stuff; figures, ships, role play weapons and other related merch.

Hando likes this.
  7. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Aye - she's not all bad! :p

I really like the new figures its just the packaging that doesn't grab me.Sounds like you collect the "right stuff" though, love the avatar too!

Sorry about the thread Hi-jack here. I'm new. [face_blush]

8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Ditto!

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I think there were a couple of clones announced also - since I have zero interest in them, I didn't bother reporting their arrival :p

However - this got sneaked today a look at the 1/6 scale Tauntaun that's in development - I'm guessing that means Hoth Han & Luke will be following!

[​IMG]

Hando and JUKE-SKYWALKER like this.
  10. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Oh my that's a thing of beauty.

Wonder how it smells though?

Tbh I might give this one a miss as I can't display as much these days.
    Poor Jabba + Throne etc and my Dewback are going back into boxes. Probably no point getting something else for it to just sit in a box. :(

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah it's pretty darned big and would eat up a lot of room. Heck you could almost ride the thing (though you wouldn't get anywhere). A real beaut, though. No doubt about it.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Not to mention - it's going to be HEAVY. I have one of their environment pieces, the arch for Jabba's Palace and that weighs 26lbs - I can't imagine how much this would cost. You need something w/ a lot of strength to hold it on.

I'll stick w/ my plastic Hasbro version.

Hando - bah - I missed that Jabba when it came out, I'd love to get one but man those thrones now go for a ton :(

Hando likes this.
  13. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Yeah they have got a bit more sought after now the old thrones but believe me they are massive. I had mine on x2 "detolf" Ikea cabinets many of us use for 1/6 scale figures and it even overhung the edges of that. Put it this way I now have 3 Premiums in the same place, Darth vs Obi as a Stormie watches on. :)

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Um, yeah, I'm no stranger to Detolfs, got 2 of them here in my office, plus 4 tall Billys, another case I don't remember the name of, and need another large Billy ;)

I always thought if I had that Jabba throne it would have to go on the top of 2 small Billys - that way you can set up the other figures around it also.

I don't have any premiums, they really don't excite me very much because you can't pose them.

Hando likes this.
  15. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Thought you'd probably know what they were - most of us collectors do. :)

They (PF's) don't excite me anymore because of the Expense of getting them, shipping them and taxes. :( Those days are gone now.
    (Though I might use my points to get a Malgus then thats that.)

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well looking at the display here - Hoth Luke and Han are going to be from HotToys - they look just like my Bespin Luke and other Hot Toys figures for quality of facial design - I suppose they could be Sideshow, but they don't exactly have the greatest track history for getting Han to actually look like Harrison Ford. Here are Rebelscum's pics of Sideshow's up and coming 1/6 scale figures.

I guess that means Anakin is on the back burner :(

Hando likes this.
  17. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Yeah, I'd agree Hot Toys, as you say SS's track history for Han or Luke isn't great.

Hot Toys have some incredible artists.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Oh god yes - I have the Luke and the Christopher Reeve Superman, they're just amazing. I also do custom dolls and have picked up a lot of their generic bodies including a couple w/ heads that look like other actors, they're just incredible. The bodies are also the best made in the 1/6 industry IMO, they're solid, they don't fall apart, and they're heavy.

I did get the SS Padawan Obi-Wan and I have to say the paint job on it and sculpting of the 2 heads look just like Ewan. So who knows, maybe they've poached some new artists.

The only really sad thing is that now even the SS figures are almost all going over the $150 mark (upcoming prequel Yoda being the exception.) There is no longer an entry level collector line of 12" figures out there. If they want the next generation of collectors, they need toy versions that kids can play with now. For as much as Hasbro had the worst time trying to get human faces to look right, they were amazing at doing aliens and humanoids. I recently picked up a Ki-Adi-Mundi from Hasbro and am happy as a clam with him - I don't feel the need at all to get the SS version.

Hando likes this.
  19. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    I have a few of the Batman HT's figures, Keaton, Nicholson, Bale and the new Ledger - Awesome, just awesome. Everyone that comes in the house comments on them all. . . . . . but my favourite HAS to be the Bespin Luke I adore both versions.
    The problem is the price of both HT's and now the SS - as you say. Its as if SS have seen what people will pay for HT's and tried to bridge the gap but they have yet to reach their quality - don't get me wrong I LOVE SS but I have recently stopped ordering most the 1/6 scales due to the cost. (Shipping and taxes to the UK just burns money)

[face_laugh] Excellent, that made me giggle. :)

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    SS is now adding a ton of extras with each item to up their prices - they are always amazing w/ their accessories. I really like my Obi-Wan - only problem - w/ the 2 heads, 2 prs of feet, many, MANY hands - I need another body and outfit so I can have 2 figures. They really should've just made it 2 complete figures for like $185 and be done w/ it. That'll probably be at least another $100 to get that. Actually, come to think of it, I HAVE an extra SS body sitting around. I might just need another of Obi's costumes.

Once you get HT it's REALLY hard to enjoy SS stuff, especially their earlier offerings. I am excited for their ROTJ Darth Vader though - he looks AMAZING. With all of the electronics and tons of gizmos, I think he'll be worth the $250. I figure he's the only big deluxe Vader I need.

There are soo many HT figures I'd love to get, but man, I just can't afford them all.

I really, REALLY hope that if Hoth Han & Luke are HT - that means that a Hoth Leia will be from them also. We NEED a gorgeous, perfect Leia (grrr and Padme.) The best one that's out there is probably the SS Boushh Leia, but again, SS's skintone is rather bleh.

I personally just love all 12" figures - vintage Kenner, Hasbro, SS, Medicom, Hot Toys - they're all good. Only ones that haven't appealed to me are the Enterbay - the Han they did was amazing but he's just too freaking expensive. The Luke just looks too Japanese for my tastes - I would've gotten him for 1/3 the price that they want for him.

Shipping costs are up everywhere. Here in the states the Post Office jacked up all shipping prices. It blows :(

21. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    I agree the new Vader looks pretty class but its taken a fair bit of flak already. Shame really . . . .

. . . . but a Hoth Leia, I could safely say a Hot Toys one would probably head to the top of my favourites list. In fact its a definite! I'd sell things to get one of them, that's a fab suggestion. Any Leia would be good but a Hoth Leia =P~

I don't really know the Enterbay figures, search them out we must.

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    There's only a couple of the Enterbay figures at least that I know of. They did an Endor Han who looks good and ANH Luke who didn't overly impress me.

I'm just ready for someone, ANYONE to make Leia or Padme 12" figures. Everyone blah blahs that Padme's don't sell well. Of course they don't, other than the few Portait Edition Queens who came out at the tail end of TPM over-flood so no one could afford them at that point, every Padme that's been released has been ugly. The Beautiful Braids Tatooine disguise Hasbro doll is ok if you ignore her ginorous head, but she was rare. The Padme w/ Qui-Gon giftset is awesome, but she was rare. The AOTC Padme is only passable - again, huge head. And the Sideshow Clone Wars Padme is a freakshow thanks to the horrific paint job done to her.

Pssst - people won't buy hideous and ugly figures. It's not that Padme's unpopular - she just hasn't been given a fair chance.

Leia's had a bit more success. At least the Sideshow versions of her that have been released look good. And towards the end Hasbro did a wonderful job at coming up w/ a gorgeous facemold for her, but we still have far too few versions of her, I do thank Hasbro for at least giving us multiple versions of her even if they weren't all successes.

I've taken to having to make custom Padme dolls which is imperfect since the custom parts out there for doing them are difficult to perfectly alter w/o needing an engineering degree to do so.

*Pouts*

Hando likes this.
  23. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Fingers crossed we get good versions of them both down the line. I must admit I have the Clone Wars Padme as I used to collect all of the 1/6 range (bar a few Lukes I didn't like and some generic Endor / Rebel troops) but its one of the few I don't display and my Leia Boushh has her helmet on . . . . . but she looks too cool like that.

I know its asking too much but a Hot Toys twin pack of Leia and Padme would be superb and would be an insane seller I'm sure.

On a different note I like the new look to Sideshows site, its a lot more striking than previous versions. (Hope it isn't just temporary)

You're right though, some of thold Ep I Hasbro Padme / Amidala figures are the best!

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    My Sideshow Boushh Leia doesn't have her helmet on because when I went to open my brand new packaging, the helmet flew out, hit my tile floor and smashed into 4 pieces. Then later the back on one of her canisters broke off. Finally I tried getting her tall weapon in her hand and it snapped in half.

That figure's accessories are doomed in my hands :(

Leia and Padme would be awesome. I'd be happy w/ big cool packs for each of them. ESB Leia w/ 2 figures. 1) Hoth gear. 2) with her hair braids down and comes w/ her maroon pantsuit - she could wear the other outfit also with that. I know I'm dreaming, guys hate that maroon suit and women love it.

Let's see - some of my favorite figures:

Kenner - I love the vintage line of 12" figures, they were made to scale. They might not be articulated but they were my first 'action figures' in that scale.

Hasbro - Lando Calrissian (I wanted him ever since I saw the proto-types of the one that Kenner never made. I think he's handsome,) Skiff Guard Lando, The portrait editions of Leia & Padme (love the Save Naboo 2 pack w/ the giant Qui-Gon Jinn.) Greedo, the 2 ROTS Jedi ladies - Barriss Offee and Shaak Ti, Grand Moff Tarkin, X-Wing Biggs/Wedge, and the giant beasts of burden to scale - I love the Patrol Dewback, furry Wompa & Chewie, Taun Tauns, and Captain Tarlpas's Kaadu. Also love the speeder bikes - I only have Leia, need to get Luke.

Sideshow - Kit Fisto, Padawan Kenobi,Qui-Gon, "Darth Vader" Anakin SDCC Exclusive, ROTS Anakin, ANH Leia, Gamorrean Guard, Tusken Raider, ROTJ Luke (he's got a dopey expression but he was my first so I love him,) and Boussh Leia (even w/ all of her broken pieces.)

Others - I do love my Hot Toys Luke 2 pack, my Medicom Anakin Skywalker, and Medicom Luke.

Back to the original topic at hand, I was pretty excited to see the 12" scale Probe Droid in the Comic Con displays - I'm looking forward to getting that along w/ Luke and Han!

25. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Thats really weird - I broke my Leia's Helmet and her back pack broke on mine too!! Luckily having been into model making for years I had the paints and glue I needed for repairs.

Which always makes me think of the repair I had to do on my Darth Talon PF Hand - thank the maker you REALLY can't tell!!

I love that Maroon suit actually - I didn't know that about a lot of guys don't like it! I agree with Lando on that one.

I've not owned any Kenner 12" figures since I was a nipper to be honest and only have a couple of the Episode I Hasbro's like Darth Maul, Battle Droid, Watto and a couple of others - oh, the Pit Droids they are cool!

Sideshow I have far too many to list as I was an addict lol, but babies, mortgage etc have changed that now.
    I love as you've mentioned the Tusken and Gamorrean and also like a lot of the Clone Commanders and the Stormtrooper Commander. Personal favourite now may actually be the Snowtrooper and E-web blaster or the Battle Droid on STAP. :)
    I have the SS Dewback but have just packed him away as lovely as he is - just too darned big!

Oh, and that Probe Droid does look superb!!