main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Would the love story have been more believable...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Trisdin Gheer, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    If Padme had been a kid during Episode I? I think a childhood-friends vibe would have been a lot better than a few scenes between a grown woman and an inappropriately forward little kid.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Or how about having Anakin be older?

3. Trisdin Gheer

Jun 18, 2013
    Well, whichever way you would do it, it would make a hell of a lot more sense than Padme falling madly in love with a boy she knew for a couple of days as a five-year old.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin was 9 and Padme was 14.

5. Trisdin Gheer

Jun 18, 2013
    Keep that EU crap out of here please.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    They were 9 and 14. Sorry to say.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin was nine, not five, when they met. Padme was 14. And there was no romance in TPM, the love story happened in AOTC and there is nothing wrong with a 19-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman.

The line of thinking that she was "too old" for him always irritates me. Nobody says a word about Han being 11 years older than Leia, but when the woman is older...oh noes, can't have that. Because it's 1950 or something. Oh, wait...

That said...one thing that I wish AOTC had established in the beginning would have been some sort of communication between them in the years since TPM, letters or Holonet communications of some sort, and then have that opening scene of AOTC be the first time in ten years that they had actually seen each other in person.

Darth Chiznuk and ILNP like this.
  8. Trisdin Gheer

Jun 18, 2013
    1. I was winding ForceSmuggler up.
    2. I wasn't complaining that she's 'too old' for him; I'm saying when you take their interactions in Episode I, it isn't believable that they'd fall madly in love in ten years time. If Padme thought about Anakin at all in that time, it'd probably be something like "Oh, he was nice, wasn't he". Whereas, if they were childhood friends who went through this crazy adventure together, there'd be a much stronger connection.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I have no problem with Padme being older but to start them off as 9 and 14 and then jump them to 19 and 24 is dumb.
    Really funny dokratr0 not...........

10. Trisdin Gheer

Jun 18, 2013
    Maybe you just didn't get it.

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I did. Just not funny.

12. Trisdin Gheer

Jun 18, 2013
    wind someone up
    • 1British informal tease or irritate someone:
    (Mod Edit: Here, we call that baiting.... and welcome to the boards. ~Sx3)

I'd say it was successful. But back to the point of the thread...there's some film, or TV show, or something that has this sort of relationship. Two kids go through something, meet up years later, fall in love. I can't remember- what is it?

13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    with star wars (esp for just a movie watcher) you have to imagine the decade gap in between I and II and all that can happen in that time, when your dealing with a story as long as SW, that you are only seeing moments in time

14. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I maybe straying off the topic, but the problem is that Hayden & Natalie just didn't have any chemistry, and it happens all the time in movies. You can't explain it, but you know in the first 5 minutes when you are watching a movie whether the 2 love interests have chemistry on screen that will drive the love story. Sure the dialogue was cheesy, but good chemistry can overcome flaws in the script. Then you look at a movie like Superman (1978) and Christopher and Margot Kidder just click the second they are on screen together.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    :rolleyes:. Why not have Anakin and Padme as young adults and skip TPM altogether?

16. Trisdin Gheer

Jun 18, 2013
    That's the thing. Anakin and Padme's TPM relationship really doesn't work with the depiction of the relationship in AOTC. The love story works better without TPM than it does with. This thread is just sharing an idea that came to me of how TPM could be done better.

17. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    for me it indicates how AOTC should ave been so much better

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've always enjoyed the love story but I think anakinfan's idea about the two trading correspondence between I and II is a great one. I think it would help to set up the love story a lot better than what it was and give it a little stronger foundation. I also think the scenes with Padme's family should have been kept.

19. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I like Padme being older, because it emphasizes that she is the more mature and emotionally stable in the relationship.

Wait a minute HOW much older is Han Solo? I did not know he was supposed to be 30. Wow.

20. Trisdin Gheer

Jun 18, 2013
    :rolleyes:

People do realise my OP wasn't just "Padme is like, 5 years older than Anakin! How, like, weird is that?"

Incidentally, the creator of the Machete Order agrees with me;
    "In the opening of Episode II, Padme refers to Anakin as “that little boy I knew on Tatooine.” The two of them look approximately the same age in Episode II, so the viewer can naturally conclude that the two of them were friends as children. This completely hides the totally weird age gap between them from Episode I, and lends a lot of believability to the subsequent romance. Scenes in which they fall for each other seem to build on a childhood friendship that we never see but can assume is there. Since their relationship is the eventual reason for Anakin’s fall to the dark side, having it be somewhat believable makes a big difference."

21. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.