main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    [face_laugh] That's the best idea I've read so far!

Darth Claire likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He could just use a Delorean.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think one (and only one) major, offscreen event could work. The real problem with "keeping" the NJO is that it brings in a lot of other baggage that constrains the writers.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Are you aware that I was not saying that they should include the line about hating the EU names?

5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    And then we can include a scene like this:

New hero: Hey dad...what happened to Ben?

Luke: *slap* Dont ever speak of that little $%!( ever again! Do you hear me!?

New Hero: Ok ok...jeez

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That reminds of the Home Improvement episode (wow I can't believe I'm talking about Home Improvement on a SW discussion forum :p) where the two older brothers tricked Mark into thinking their parents had another kid that they had given away. Maybe that can be the excuse for the EU characters.

Volderon likes this.
  7. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Funny. Or maybe since we have Arndt writing we can have a scene like this

Han: I dedicated the new additions to the falcon to my kids Jacen and Jaina

New hero: Aww thats sweet where are they now?

Han: In the trunk of the falcon

New Hero: 0.0 W...T....

Han: *Evil face*

*its a Little Miss Sunshine joke. Terrible I know*

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

9. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008

It matters to me.

Robimus and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    and me!

Robimus likes this.
  11. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I'll throw a bone here and also support the idea that an encyclopedic knowledge of a fictional universe does matter---to Wiki contributors and editors. I myself like to fill my brain with these bits of trivia because, well, I'm a trivia geek. So, any Wookieepedia contributors here that may come across this post, I'm here to give a shoutout to show you all that you have my support. No matter what Disney decides to do with the EU, I know you guys will soldier on and get to work on the new continuity. If they choose to expunge large swathes of post-RotJ EU, I feel your pain, but don't think those years or however long you were a part of the Wook community, writing up informative, comprehensive articles on the thousands of characters and stories of that era are wasted, as the novels, comics, etc. all still exist and always will. [face_peace]

Force Smuggler and Vthuil like this.
  12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not sure why'd you post here unless pointless bits of trivia are your thing to begin with :p

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    To discuss characters and dramatic arcs? That's what interests me far more than some random trivia about the Cantina Aliens.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Hoo boy, dodging the sarcasm meter today huh? :p

15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    No fastballs up and in, DB.... its too early for chin music and brushback pitches.:p

DarthBoba and Sean Sinclair like this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Thought you were being tongue in cheek and not downright sarcastic.

17. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    flicked thru my first ever EU novel today, (Darth Plagueis) made me realise how different 'points of view' people must have in SW depending what You have seen from EU, to comics, games, even to something like the clone wars series. (I've only seen the volume 1 CW 2003 dvd and the 2008 Filoni one and realise there are years worth of TV clone wars ive not seen) Question is who Will the ST makers be making it for? Those whose template is the Cinema Episodes and their own imaginings (like me), or the hardcore fans who have bought into eveything with a SW logo on it?

18. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    How much do you wanna bet that if the new hero*ine* doesn't have a love interest in the first film, some EU writer will create a "temporary love interest" for some novel (and that novel will most likely end with said love interest dying, having to go into hiding or our hero getting amnesia and no longer remembers him/her just so they can explain why the temporary love interest isn't in episode 8). You watch I bet something like that is going to happen in the "new EU"

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Well, let's assume that the EU kids won't be in the ST at all (which sounds like the most likely option). If that happens, what do you do with those characters? (I would say that continuing the Post ROTJ EU era is not an option because then you get brand confusion, the same thing that screwed up Abrams' Star Trek plans. I can't see Lucasfilm publishing two distinct EU's.) Do you just say "This is their last story and it's done" or "Try to shoehorn them into the ST through books and comics" (Example: "While the ST was going on, Jania Solo couldn't be mentioned or talked about or thought about because blah blah blah") or do you reboot the universe wherein the EU kid character are a part of that rebooting process? (and end up in character limbo/carbon freeze if a future author can somehow use them)

20. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    The fate of the EU interests me greatly cause it wont be like the Marvel universe where the comics continue on mostly untarnished/unaltered by the movies, in this case the movies here have a DIRECT impact on the EU. I mean either way its going to have to get changed regardless of it being used or not *cause if they use the twins then they probably will start releasing new novels/comics/ect where they are all young and new again and I guarantee you events from the ST will contradict some EU events*. If the EU isn't used then well.....there is a HIGH chance it will get rebooted and they probably wont go "Well they're all off planet and doing something else" because that might cause some confusion for newbie readers who have no idea who the past EU characters are. They probably will be just aware of the new characters from the sequel trilogy. Its just...interesting and I soo look forward to seeing the fate of the EU if it isn't used because I can see it not being pretty and simple.

EDIT: I agree that they probably wont be doing the two EU things because lets be honest...an EU based off the events of the Sequel trilogy will probably sell better than the old EU (which people might see as not-canon and "Why bother?"

Master Blaster likes this.
  21. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I could see that happening. Happened to Obi-Wan twice with Siri Tachi and Cerasi

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    After the "old" EU, I'd hope they've learned their lesson about that sort of thing. I wouldn't actually bet money on it, though.

23. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    You know, I wonder if we're going to get a bunch of new EU writers with all the likely upcoming changes, or keep the same ones...

24. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Do you think we'd get old characters reimagined for the new EU?
    With new back stories?

25. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I hope they just skip doing 'between-movie' EU for the ST... at least, not without some SERIOUS management across companies/creatives... I don't wanna see another "Dark Horse & Hasbro give a rainbow of colors to the Jedi Council lightsabers after Episode I... and then George squashes all that with his AOTC decree of 'blue & green only... and one purple!'" or "Ki-Adi-Mundi has a few wives; not because they really love polygamy, but because their reproduction rate is so low so it's to help the species.... OH WAIT JEDI AREN'T ALLOWED TO MARRY!" or "Ki-Adi-Mundi is a Jedi Knight, sitting on the Council provisionally...no, wait, ROTS says a Jedi has NEVER been on the Council without also being a Master!" kinda thing.

If they've got a game plan for the whole ST, they can set some guidelines, some dos and don'ts, for any books, comics, games that might take place between the films... if there are any TV series ala TCW that will take place between installments of the ST, that would require a little more detail and might be best saved for after the trilogy's complete, so in the meantime, between films, they could instead fill in the decades between VI and VII based on the new continuity. It's a LOT of ground to cover, of course, but it also doesn't need to be nearly so densely-packed as the current EU is (every other month, some new crisis threatens the galaxy & the OT Heroes are called to action; not a whole lot of breathing room in the post-ROTJ EU)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.