main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Shows, films (etc...) that in retrospect don't seem that good/haven't aged well (ie: overrated)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jul 9, 2013.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Malcolm in the Middle

I watched a ton of this show when it originally ran, finding it funny & interesting... now, when catching a rerun here & there, I find myself wondering how I stuck with the show for so long. Kaczmarek's Lois is terrible irritating, as is Muniz. Cranston seems to be the only person worth watching.

A borderline choice here, as I could fit this in the Godzilla category of dumb films that are still entertaining, but there's much to ridicule: Butler's over acting, the unnecessary slow motion/Matrix style camera work in the battle scenes (and in some other scenes as well), walking that fine line between representing a period of time here on Earth & fantastical elements, took it self too damn seriously.

There Will Be Blood

Yeah, I know, Daniel Day-Lewis, but man do parts of this film drag on & on. Was it really all that interesting?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I don't think it's fair to say that just because a show was a product of its time that it was (or is) necessarily overrated.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE" was great. And I mean that unironically. It was a great metaphor and a great "**** you, I want money."

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

That's not my issue with Malcom in the Middle, though... and of course cultural attitudes & such attribute heavily to a show's success, but just because you can pigeonhole certain works with certain eras (a lot of the U.S. sitcoms in the 50's to mid-60's come to mind) doesn't mean contemporary folks can't still find those works overrated. It being a 'product of its time' should only go so far.

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The Artist. It might as well have been called "One Trick Pony: The Movie."

The Rock. Everybody says that this is the one Michael Bay that's actually good, but I thought it was utterly mediocre.

The best part was that it was taken directly from a congressional hearing on the Tea Pot Dome scandal.

Debo likes this.
  6. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The X-Men cartoon from the 90's. Especially when compared to Batman: The Animated Series which is still fantastic.

"One Trick Dog: The Movie" surely?

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I liked it myself, but it wasn't especially great. Pretty simple story that leaned heavily on the novelty (and stereotypes) of a silent film.

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

I seem the only person who hated that dog.

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, it's a pretty fine line between "Not aging well" and "A product of its time" because they both use much of the same basic criteria. I think the difference is usually your own personal feelings toward the material. If you have a certain fondness for it—nostalgic, philosophical—you might excuse aspects of it as a "product of its time". If you don't, it "hasn't aged well". For instance, when I see All in the Family it "hasn't aged well".

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    All in the Family? Really? One of the first mainstream media portrayals of a normal, non-stereotypical gay person?

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    well i never liked Malcolm in the Middle, rght from the start

me 1 tunes 0

Master_Jacen likes this.
  12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Epic win

epic likes this.
  13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Hmmm, I'm drawing a blank on that one specifically, but I've only ever been able to stand AITF in small doses.

14. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    I think the criteria might need to be better defined. A show like AITF spawned multiple spin offs that defined comedic taste for the 70's. Of course we would look at it now and say "meh" - what was ground breaking then has now become cliché because it was copied and used so many times after.

Another good example is with music. As an older gent, I often get teased by younger friends, nieces, nephews about listening to music from the 70's and 80's. Then I ask them about their music. Inevitably, many of their favorite songs are remakes or use samplings from older ones. This is the problem I have with the hipster doofuses (doofi? not sure of the right plural) They're only good at recycling trends from the past and congratulating themselves for being soooo original. *see any heineken commercial from the last 2 years or Michael Buble's career :p

I look at television and movies in terms of fads. If the biggest thing a movie has going for it is that it uses trendy styling and camera angles then it isn't going to stand the test of time. However, certainly there is something to be said for combining trends with new ideas to create a unique vision.

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Even, You Will Be Bored was a terrible movie, as everyone knows from the popular and widespread nickname it acquired. I have told you this from the very beginning.

Likewise, Tunick, why did you ever like one of the most racist, jingoist Hollywood productions in several years?

This thread is way off the mark because pretty much nothing here is an issue of "hindsight." They all started and stayed horrible.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That one thing you like. It's terrible. I'm amazed anyone ever thought it was good.

solojones, Jabbadabbado, tom and 6 others like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Brady Bunch. Loved this show as a kid but now I want to bang my head against the wall every time I see it.

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Matrix. Doesn't survive the test of time at all. And I say that never having seen the sequels, so it's not based on disappointment over them. It's just . . . okay, there's a guy, and he gets to beat people up with visual gimmicks that everyone will realize they hate as soon as everyone else starts using them, and the movie takes itself ridiculously seriously because it manages to have, like, ideas about reality, man!

19. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    For the most part, Jurassic Park has aged well.

Except for....the computer commercials.... Poor Ariana Richards became an infomercial sales rep and she didn't even know it!

"It's an interactive CD-ROM!"

"It's a Unix system! I know this!"

And my personal favorite....Mr. DNA singing the praises of "Thinking Machines supercomputers and gene sequencers break down the strand in minutes!"
    Guess what happened to Thinking Machines, Inc. the following year?

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Slumdog Millionaire, it's a gimmicky story which people only thought was interesting because of the exotic locale. If it were about poor African American kids in inner city America people would think it was trying too hard.

21. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i bought spawn yesterday. i loved that movie so much when it came out.

revisiting it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. the digital effects are absurdly bad according to today's standard, but its okay because it manages to keep with the camp aesthetic ingrained into the very fiber of the film. it was a film that, while simple, was competently simple. it knew what it was doing, and it did it with a self-assured mediocrity. plus i mean, holy hell it has michael jai white, john leguizamo and martin sheen.

so that wasn't too bad.

BUT but but but but but

when fantastic 42: rise of the silver surfer came out, i remember thinking "well, that wasn't that bad, why is everyone hating on it?" a few months ago i decided to say **** it and rewatch it. and now all i can do is shake my head in disbelief at the willful ignorance of my earlier self.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Wild at Heart (1990)
    Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
    Matchstick Men (2003)
    Face/Off (1997)
    The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call – New Orleans (2009)
    Adaptation. (2002)
    Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)
    Moonstruck (1987)
    Con Air (1997)
    Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000)
    The Wicker Man (2006)
    Honeymoon in Vegas (1992)
    National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007)
    It Could Happen to You (1994)
    Birdy (1984)
    8MM (1999)
    Vampire’s Kiss (1988)
    National Treasure (2004)
    Ghost Rider (2007)
    Raising Arizona (1987)
    World Trade Center (2006)
    Knowing (2009)
    Valley Girl (1983)
    Lord of War (2005)
    Kick-Ass (2010)
    Guarding Tess (1994)
    Red Rock West (1993)
    The Family Man (2000)
    Rumble Fish (1983)
    The Cotton Club (1984)
    Bringing Out the Dead (1999)
    City of Angels (1998)
    The Rock (1996)
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
    The Weather Man (2005)

Drac39 and Debo like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What kills me is that Fox had, not one but, two crown jewels of the Marvel franchise (The Dark Phoenix Saga and The Coming of Galactus) and they screwed them both the hell up within 1 year of each other for the most part.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

24. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The problem with Rise of the Silver Surfer was they turned Galactus from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

(and don't give me any of that "the comic version is too ridiculous to put on screen" talk: all they had to do was design him right. Also the comics had the perfect lampshade to explain Galactus' appearance in that "different alien races perceive him differently" thing from John Bryne's FF run.)

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You shut up Ramza. The Uninvited is a great movie.

Never knew you could be such a jerk.

[face_plain]

Master_Jacen likes this.