main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Isnt Anakin a bit too young for Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Luisiana Jones, Dec 12, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Do you believe in comparing apples and oranges?

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I'm not comparing apples and oranges. Leia and Han are at least ten years apart. Anakin and Padme are only five years apart. Why do Anakin and Padme have to be closer in age? Or are you trying to say that because the male is older, the age difference in the Leia/Han is okay? Is that it? If not . . . I don't see why Anakin and Padme have to be closer in age.

kainee likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going to address this one since I was the one who initially brought it up.

I call double standards when I see complaints about Anakin being too young for Padme at the time that I actually see them having a romance, which would be in AOTC. And I have done so multiple times.

But Anakin and Padme in TPM as opposed to Han and Leia in ESB are worlds apart as far as relationships and a bit hard to compare.

There has been dispute, not necessarily in this thread but over time, as to whether Anakin's "Are you an angel?" line was romantic/a pick-up line/etc. or not. I see it as a kid telling another kid that she's pretty and don't think anything about it beyond that; honestly Anakin has probably seen very few people who get to bathe every day. Padme probably is a unique phenomenon there.

However...and this subject was brought up in the YJCC (where it's almost taboo to discuss Star Wars) around the time that George Lucas announced his engagement...that line is seen by some as romantic or at least borderline sexual. So in that context...is Anakin too young for Padme? Yes, because a nine-year-old boy is too young for anybody, whereas a 14-year-old girl might be dating already; at least I was when I was 14.

Once Anakin is 19? Hell to the no, he isn't too young for Padme.

When the OP started the locked thread, I wasn't sure where he was going with it, which is why I brought that up again.

kainee, Hansa and ConnorLovesPadme like this.
  4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I've never considered that line to be romantic in nature. I think in TPM Anakin sees Padme as a bigger kid / big sister type figure who provides some kind of maternal substitute in a very strange, frightening new environment. In the years between then and AOTC Anakin's feelings morph into something else. Absence makes the heart grow fonder etc. I don't really have a problem with that.

kainee likes this.
  5. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    yeah I think I've said this before

(so many similar threads these days I forget where I posted what)

but I don't think the Angel line was anywhere near sexual.

In a religious sense (not sure if Lucas was going for this or not) Angels are described as beautiful and radiant, not as sexually "hot".

Angels in the bible also often are travellers or "strangers" for a specific reason (not that I think Anakin knows anything about what the bible is, so I'm probably reaching a lot there :p )

but no, the Angel line was not sexual. It was a kids way of saying "wow, you're beautiful" or in another "you're not from round these parts are you?"

kainee likes this.
  6. Vannagainn

Vannagainn Jedi Knight

Jul 11, 2013
    Well it must of had something to do with the original actor and the new one. Padme looked the same age yet annikian looked like 5 years her senior. :p

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, they're the same age. Although he probably looks five years her senior now due to the damn cigarettes.

Jake Lloyd was 8 and Natalie Portman was 16 when TPM filmed.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you know the difference. We were talking about Anakin and Padme in TPM, when they were 9 and 14, respectively. Han and Leia were grown adults when they met.

The situation is not at all the same, which is why it's apples and oranges. I mean, if Han was 19 and trying to hook up with a 9 year old Leia....

Just seems like another pretense for you to rush into a PT vs OT thing.

ThatsNoPloKoon likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just have both Padme and Anakin be older than they were in TPM. Age gap difference either way doesn't bother me though I could handle them better by being older to start with.

10. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Hello! Aren't older women and younger men, like, the ultimate score for either gender?

kainee likes this.
  11. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Mad props to the dude at least;)

kainee likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

I was going to say the same for the woman.

So I guess Darth Eddie is right. :D

kainee likes this.
  13. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I don't understand how a woman dating a younger man is impressive.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just means she is a cougar.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Wow.

EDITED because **** it, never mind.

16. ConnorLovesPadme

ConnorLovesPadme Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2013
    Fair play to Anakin for pulling such a hot women, there's only one word I can describe what I'm feeling JEALOUS!

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Sorry but I just had to pull that quote from Two and a Half Men.

ConnorLovesPadme likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks, I'll be sure to never add that show to my Netflix or Hulu queues.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not that bad.So much better with Charlie Sheen than Ashton Kutcher anyway.

20. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    That's what I was thinking.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. Great minds get away. Should probably be more than 10 years difference for that.

23. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Leia and Han were both adults. The difference in maturity between 9 and 14 is massive. The two relationships are incomparable.

24. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    Anakin and Padme are also adults when they start their relationship. The difference in maturity between 9 and 14 is massive but since they didn't start their relationship when they were 9 and 14 it's a moot point. The two relationships are entirely comparable since peoples problem with the age difference between Anakin and Padme is more drastically illustrated by the age difference between Leia and Han.​

kainee likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If you're talking about their AOTC relationship, yes. In TPM, not really.