main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Do you think a reboot is inevitable?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StoneRiver, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Would a reboot be....?

1. A good thing

10 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. A bad thing

38 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. An interesting decision

17 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. ignored

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. not actually happening

49 vote(s)
    42.2%
  1. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Some movies you just simply should not reboot. They're just fine the way they are and remaking them would only disrespect and butcher the heart and soul of the originals.
    A few examples are....

Back to the future
    Star wars
    E.T.
    Indiana Jones
    Ghostbusters
    Gremlins
    Karate Kid (oh wait too late) Grrr stupid hollywood!
    Nightmare on Elm St. (Ah crap not another classic film ruined)
    Goonies
    Short Circuit ( i hear this one is already in the pipeline sadly)

Did i miss any?

2. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Echo-07 likes this.
  3. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Actually, It's not possible to own the original movies in a proper up to date format unless you go download a fan restoration. George ruined that for us.

4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    not for me

5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The Great Myth: Technology has advanced so far since the original was made, if we do a remake, it can't help but be better!

FRAGWAGON, Echo-07 and Sean Sinclair like this.
  6. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    So what?

I'm not saying what anyone should or shouldn't do in terms of a reboot, but I wouldn't think of it as a big deal no matter what they do.

7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I agree. There are all kinds of different mythologies out there. Some people pretty much ignore the fact that the PT even exists, others build in content from books, comics and games. Just enjoy the parts you like and leave the rest be.

8. Dave Hoffman

Dave Hoffman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2012
    I don't know, I'm a bit wishy washy on the subject. Generally speaking, I hate reboots with a passion. It's completely unimaginative. But at the same time, Battlestar Galactica (the new one) was one of my favorite shows when it was on, so I'm a bit of a hypocrite.

But to echo what others have said, with Star Wars there's no need to reboot it. There isn't just a little window where a story exists that would need to be redone. It's an entire universe spanning 10's of thousands of years. No need to redo anything. Just pick a little corner of the galaxy, pick some small time-frame, and make 9 brand new movies. Rinse, wash, repeat forever.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    No reboot will happen in my lifetime.

10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Star Wars was unique in that it was in essence a personal mythological story told at the perfect time in history. It was a cultural phenomenon. The perfect marriage of the internal and external factors. It revolutionized New Hollywood, some would argue for the worse. It was also the personal mythology of George Lucas, represented in his desire to be the auteur or the director as the most important aspect in the creation of the cinematic experience. Lucas fought and nearly destroyed his own life to keep control of his vision, although never being satisfied with the result, due to budgetary constraints and his perceived limitations of special effects and technology. I disagree with him on this, but who the hell am I? What they did was creative genius in my opinion. All if these elements stirred in an the alchemy which became a masterpiece, never to be repeated. A reboot will never do that folks. It would simply be a remade Star Wars movie, that's all.

11. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Agreed. (But I'll still walk my zimmer to the pictures when the reboot is released when I'm 83) :p

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  12. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i will never watch one :) much prefer to take my kids to Ep7

13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Yes...here's why.

[​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett and DealAlterer like this.
  14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

With ya there bud (On the 2nd point. I'm too weak, I would see a reboot.) Me n my boy have already agreed to go on opening night :)

15. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Star Wars as a saga will never need to be rebooted because it has an endless timeline to draw upon, and a mythology that spans hundreds of millennia. As far back or forward you go, it will always be long ago, in a galaxy far away. There's no need to return to the Skywalker story once it it is finished.

16. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I think they should re-boot 1 to 3.... try again... all brand new

17. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    A reboot is completely unnecessary for Star Wars. Star Wars is a unique entity in entertainment and culture that has evolved within itself, and has a natural path for growth and continuation unlike any other franchise. The audience has spanned multiple generations with multiple incarnations, all leading back to it's core.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Everything people are saying about reboots being unnecessary is completely true, and a reboot is inevitable anyway.

StoneRiver likes this.
  19. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i just wont even accept that it exists, simple as that

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree. Like I said earlier I don't think GL would ever sell if he didn't have assurances (most likely in writing) that his works would be protected and never redone. I don't think Disney would have a problem with that either. Reboots aren't really their thing (endless sequels are. :p)

eht13 likes this.
  21. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    Isn't the new trilogy a re-boot? In a sense?
    It's not a re make of course but they do
    seem to be rebooting the whole SW universe

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Not at all. It's a continuation with many of the same characters (played by the same actors) from the last few films.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's a common misunderstanding that the media in particular has about what constitutes a reboot. When the media says this is rebooting SW, all they really mean is that it's (in their eyes) "breathing new life into SW".

Revenge of the Dak likes this.
  24. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    rebooting is such a crass modern phrase, its just cos the big film giants needed blockbusters and could not think of any original stories/characters but as people have said before. I think the creative process is the thing for me. I enjoyed V for Vendetta and Watchmen but felt so hollow when Alan Moore refused to have anything to do with them, when GL severs ALL ties with SW, so will I.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  25. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Exactly, so if there's anyone with the media reading this thread, we should set them straight once and for all on the true definition of reboot.

ReBoot is a Canadian CGI - animated action-adventure cartoon series that originally aired from 1994 to 2001. (Oops, wrong one)
    Reboot restart computer: to restart a computer or an operating system, or be restarted. (Nope, that's not it)
    Reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate a character, timeline, and/or backstory from the beginning. (That's the one)

Good golly, I'm beginning to understand as to why the media doesn't take the time to research the definition of the term reboot. :)

As for the question, "Do you think a reboot is inevitable?" No, but I also didn’t think that William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, George Takei, etc. could ever have their classic Star Trek roles recast either, so what do I know?

In my opinion (alluding to what darthfettus2015 said) it would be better if a director finally came up with an idea on par with that of Star Wars, instead of just ripping it off entirely as with a reboot. Firefly is a perfect example of an original concept being created that turned out terrific. More of that please.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.