main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if the "big assumptions" are wrong, and the Empire is still in control?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ghost, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I completely agree. I don't think any of us has actually guessed correctly what they're going to do. I think it will be a big shock what they come up with but hopefully it will be much better than anything we could have ever dreamed (I don't think there's much difficulty there. :p)

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Here's a cautionary tale concerning big assumptions, though: considering how many post-Jedi stories ended up being told in the EU, don't be surprised if the ultimate plot of the ST contains an element or two that at least bears a passing resemblance to some elements from those stories - not because they want to honor the EU, or because they want to adapt the EU faithfully, but because so many variants of the after-Jedi experience have been written that they probably couldn't entirely avoid repeating some element from the books, perhaps without even knowing it. The story may be entirely original and not based off of the EU, but if it turns out the story includes something that may make you say, "Hey, didn't they do that in Spectre of the Past or The New Rebellion or Fate of the Jedi or something?" It would, of course, be coincidence, but it could happen. Just try not to be discouraged if it does; it might yet play out in a way that trumps the way the books did it.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Agreed. It may be unavoidable. I think our Oscar winning writing team may feel that it would be beneath them to write something too akin to any EU writers popular fiction. Of course, Lucas wrote the bigger ideas, so yes, elements may appear. Ultimately, I wouldn't care, if the story was served and entertained/experienced OT style.

I think back to the pre-PT and I remember being surprised, unpleasantly, with the results in more than a few places.

Here's to second chances.

4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Who says the Emperor is dead?

He didn't die on screen...

5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    He's alive. Didn't you hear about the Mynock?

6. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

By the same token, who says the emperor is alive? He did fall down a big hole and explode into blue flames or some shizzle like that... ;)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've seen a theory that holds that, since Dooku, Maul, etc didn't explode when they died- the blue fire must signify something- perhaps Palpatine's soul fleeing into hiding.

Still, other characters in the EU have died, produced blue fire in the process, and never come back.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No body, still alive.

9. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

Usually, if someone explodes, there isn't a body :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    But we aren't masters of the Dark Side so who can say?

11. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Others alive because we did not see them die:

-Thousands of Jedi
    -Tarkin
    -Mr and Mrs Organa
    -Uncle Owen or Aunt Beru (which ever one was not charred to death)
    -Stormtrooper with Binoculars
    -Jawa #4
    -Ewok #54
    the list goes on...

Lets bring them all back!

StoneRiver likes this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    U
    You make a great point there. but I do feel the need to say that we saw both uncle Owen AND Beru at the homestead burned and charred-if you look closely, there's two bodies there. it's especially clear and noticeable in the Blu-ray version of ANH!

StoneRiver likes this.
  13. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Any competent coroner could. All he'd have to work with would be some chunky salsa with yellow eyes, but...

StoneRiver likes this.
  14. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013

OK, maybe there are two bodies there ...but do we really know it's Owen and Beru -- we didn't see them die?

New Theory: Owen and Beru blasted two Storm Troopers and left their charred bodies outside the Owen's dwelling to make it look like them.
    Now they are out for vengeance on some idealistic crusade. :p

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Sounds legit.

eht13 and Sean Sinclair like this.
  16. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    OP

While you are correct in stating that we may be foolhardy to make assumptions in the first place, I think your reasoning is slightly flawed. I think most have discussed on here quite thoroughly that the Empire most likely survived after the Battle of Endor. However, the main presumption is that without the two top dogs the Empire eventually splintered and diminished. I am among this group of philosophers -- I believe the Empire will still be present during this ST in which we will see a galaxy emboriled in Civil War. I suspect we'll see different planets supporting this Imperial Remnants because they don't support the rebel cause or may be racist or whatever. I also believe that in the void left by a POWERFUL Empire, factions such as the Hutts, a Black Sun-type org, or say a group like the Mandalorians are all in a battle royal for control of the New Republic (formerly the Rebel Alliance.)

While all purely wild speculation, it is steeped in logic and is quite reasonable given the conditions we last saw. Also, quite reasonable since the ST is presumable set about 25-35 years after E6. So to sum up -- no one is in control and there is great conflict.

StoneRiver and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

How do you know I'm not Sith? :D

and thanks Echo-07 for getting the thread back on track

18. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Because, my dear Stone, if that picture over your name is really of you, it's the most un-Sith-like depiction EVER. :D

StoneRiver likes this.
  19. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Summer Dreamer
    Just read your opening post - haven't gone through the rest of the discussion. Before I do that I want to say that your plot for Episode VII was a fun read, with some really interesting and original ideas. Kudos!

Sean Sinclair and Summer Dreamer like this.
  20. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

I gave you more credit. You don't really think that's me do you? 8-}

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    My avatar is really me.

eht13 and StoneRiver like this.
  22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    I'm a trusting soul, LOL. ;)

StoneRiver likes this.
  23. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    IF we're all our avatars then I'm getting ripped-off. My posts should be bumped to the tiop of each thread and automatically liked 1 million times. No, not just liked but bowed down to and/or saluted. Oh, and long lines of babes in Leia's gold bikini a la the movie "Paul" should be sent to my door just to keep me appeased and coming back here to post all my isnder information.

And I'm totally 1000% serious.

And if there's no response to this post in the next 30 seconds I'll consider that an agreement in full -- a contract. Thus the Leias better start rolling in pronto!

24. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    You think you guys who look like YOUR avatars have problems? You think I like going through life looking like a dime-store yin-yang? Symbols have a hard time driving, eating, using the bathroom, doing everything that you people with humanoid forms and working hands and feet take for granted! :p

25. ConnorLovesPadme

ConnorLovesPadme Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2013
    Oh my that made me laugh! :p