main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Actually I brought up a page or so back (which was edited by a forum mod, in their infinite wisdom. All hail TFN mods!) that Ep. 7 could lead to an "Ultimate" EU re imagining of the post ROTJ EU. Which could very well be done with Disney focusing on "spin off" materiel. So the Thrawn Trilogy is very popular, so do it again, in a different medium, but cross the T's and dot the I's so it fits into better into whatever happened in between the decades in the ST. So if Han and Leia's kid is 20 years old in Ep. 7, and they only have 1 son named "Barry Solo" then do the Thrawn Trilogy set 10 years after the battle of Endor (instead of five) and instead of Leia being pregnant with twins, she's pregnant with "Barry", and layer in connections to something that'll pay off in Ep. 7. But the main beats of TTT are still there, artistically done. Hell, get Zhan to write it!

I'm not saying redo every single post ROTJ EU story but major beats that everyone knows. That could be fun.

2. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if we see BigAl6ft6 's theory manifest.

3. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It's a plausible scenario, and how many times have Marvel or DC redone or retread old ground with 'Ultimate' or 'New' stuff? We could easily see them decide to redo the Thrawn Trilogy adjusted to fit the new material of the Sequel Trilogy. If it's not a novel or comic book, I'd be hesitant to bring in Zahn himself... perhaps using him as an 'creative adviser' or something would make more sense.

4. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    I just need there to be semblance of the Yuuzhan Vong. That's all I want for Star Wars. To have an universe why they definitively exist. They're the thing that ties me to the EU and without them there it's almost meaningless.

DarthBoba likes this.
  5. CateSolo

CateSolo Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2013
    As an avid fan of the post-ROTJ EU I can honestly say, although it pains me greatly, that there is a 99.99% chance that Ep. 7 will be a completely original story which also completely disregards EU. I highly doubt Arndt and Abrams have ever read an EU novel or comic. Plus, it would just be much easier to create a new story instead of trying to adapt the EU into movies AND not conflicting with any other aspects of the EU. I think the most we can hope for is a nod here and there to the EU such as a brief mention of Talon Karrde or a planet named Myrkr.

black_saber likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Hell, I'd even take Zhan rewriting his own story. 2016: "Thrawn Campaign" novel written by Timothy Zhan. Single novel that reformats the Thrawn trilogy into the sequel trilogy timeline. Everybody remakes movies but I can't think of anyone remaking a novel. That could be an interesting thing to read, Zhan could fiddle with things that have probably bugged him for 2 decades, and then the "New" EU would fit into Episode 7. If anything, it'd be an unique experiment.

That aside, I can totally see a "Thrawn" adaptation happening at some point in some medium. If anything, out of all the Expanded Universe characters that Disney bought, the blue guy with the red eyes kinda stands out to having slightly higher brand recognition than most. It's like Thor or Iron Man in Marvel. Before the movies came out, people kinda-not-really knew who they were but they're marketable and recognizable characters that you can throw out there. Grand Admiral Thrawn seems like a character you can toss into the same ballpark of "Somebody a few people kinda know but then when you toss it into the mainstream, people will get it."

7. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    BigAl6ft6 The idea of 'special edition' novels I like actually, but there is a precedent: Tolkien changed many things in The Hobbit after LotR came out (most notably details when Bilbo & Gollum have their riddle showdown)
    Zahn could also tidy up some other details, like how cloning is established to work (and reactions to clone stormtroopers like it's something strange).

8. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

I'd just say "This is their last story and it's done". I wouldn't try to shoehorn characters like Jaina in. She is way too important not to be at least mentioned in the ST if she exists in that universe. Even if they come up with some ridiculous plot device, for me it would be too much.

It would suck that the old version of the EU is done, I read a ton of the books and some comics, but at this point I'd say it's better than the alternative.

9. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Any future books will also be looked ay by Disney for toy tie in potential, so when you read a new character, ship, or fighter, you can be sure that someone at Disney/LFL is working on a toy for it. About the Vong, Disney will probably discard them, because they might not see toy potential in the Vong.

10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I have a feeling that we could see a Star wars episode 7, 8, and 9 will have its own orignal story but I doubt it will destory the EU. Some thing are canon while others are not. Lucas played a role in the Expanded universe. Boba fett might be in the films as well as the remenats of the Empire, so You could see a half orignal trilogy as alittle bits of the eu, like what the prequel trilogy did with little elements. But I am not saying whats for sure.

Zahn was hired back by lucasfilm to write more Star wars novels. But if they are going to make it loyal to the eu The charcters that are most likley are going to make it from the eu, is jacen, jeina, and ben skywalker and even if they do make it to the films it may have its own story.

Besides Bob igar did say the star wars universe has 17,000 charceters and 20,000 year history and its rich when they annouced that Star Wars and lucasfilms is now Disney owns it.

Either way, rather it follows the eu, or Orignal story, or a combination of both which in my opinion is probably going happen, I got gut feeling its going to be fantastic now that lucas is done with Star Wars but I did not hate the prequels.

Sequel trilogy will be better then than prequels and it will be awsome, but no way is it going to bet the classics.

11. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    This is an idea that I love. *applauds*

12. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That schmoesknow.com rumor was pretty much debunked when the actual casting call was released about a week after it.

Darth Claire likes this.
  14. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Dark Empire isn't G-canon. :p He did like the series, and his idea of Palpatine coming back instead of "random mook wearing Vader armor" makes the series a lot less forgettable, but it's on the same level of canon as all other EU.

That being said, as soon as Palpatine started croaking about personal immortality in ROTS, the first thing into my head was Dark Empire.

16. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    It was pretty much debunked when people actually read it! No casting call's gonna be THAT specific, let alone reveal the 'twist' that Jacen becomes Darth Caedus (especially with it all happening within a single movie, no build-up at all). Had it been written in such a way that it could've been the 'reporters' adding their own guesses to it, citing the EU's plot of Jacen becoming Caedus, they might have passed it off as that... there are some sites discussing the REAL casting call that still think "You can easily pick out Jacen & Jaina from among the seven listed characters" in their commentary on the list.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002

We still don't know what is going to happen to the Star wars Expanded Universe or what the Sequel Trilogy is going to be about, Everybody of the fans and myself and you are gussing and Imaging what the sequel trilogy is going to be like.

I think in my opinon since I keep reading rumors about the eu being a part from the sequel trilogy, being an orignal story, and here bob igar saying that the Star Wars universe is has 17,000 chacters and 20,000 year period. We could have a combination of both orignal and little bit of the eu, But Even if its going to be orignal I don't think it is going to overwrite the Eu. Because lucas also was talking about the books and how they play some roles in the universe when the annouced in the video with kathleen kennedy..

Lucas says one thing then means something. He said no Sequel trilogy but then here we are having more Star wars movies and spin-off and then he says its going to be an orignal story but changes his mind, And hope if he does the one thing he needs change is have chewbacca back for the sequel trilogy. He also killed him in the new jedi order!.

Zahn said it too that hence lucas changes his mind and the worse mind change George lucas could ever do is say Episodes 7-9 are cancelled.

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Lucas also said he considers the EU a parallel universe to his own. That should tell you enough about how "real" he thinks the EU is.

The EU will be milked for usable material but not adhered to.

19. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002

I agree and I think like the clone wars show is, its going have spin around the timeline just like the other six movies did.

20. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008

Who cares what Lucas thinks, he's involved in the project in spirit alone. He's there as a figurehead, nothing more. "Creative Consultant?" Fancy term for yea I guess we can make the public think you came up with the story cause they are your characters but just go sit over there and don't make any noise. The real person that needs to get involved in all of this is Leland Chee. He will set them straight.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd say it'd be setting oneself up for disappointment that the EU kids, even in name, are going to be used in Episode 7.

kubricklynch and darklordoftech like this.
  22. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Leland Chee works after a production is completed, he doesn't consult on movies, or TV scripts, he's part of Licensing, which is Books, comics, and video Games, when something is filmed, he tries to fit it into the canon, or he discards canon which contradicts TV, or Film material. He only consults, on Video games, Books, and comics.

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    darthjulian777
    It's relevant because Lucas wrote the treatment. The treatment that is to be made into a movie.

Not sure what Chee should do. He couldn't (didn't?) prevent the continuity breaches of TCW as well.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I do like the mental image of Chee kicking down the door to Bad Robot, holding a holocorn in his hands which is pulsating with the power of pure continuity, yelling at J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk, yelling "STOP PRODUCTION NOW! CHEWBACCA IS DEAD! THE HEROINE HAS TO BE ALLANA SOLO! AND JEDI MASTER JANIA- hey, wait a minute? What are you doing? Stop! Ahhhh!"

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Wait, was that seriously the original plan for Dark Empire?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.