main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will we possibly finally see the Whills?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheAvengerButton, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I'm bringing this thread back from the dead to announce my desire to see Whills in Star Wars Episode IX and no sooner.

They're pretty much the most mysterious thing in the GFFA. They're so vague and conceptually amorphous that there has to be something behind them.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Much bigger than the conflict between Jedi and Sith is the conflict between Whills and Wonts!

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the Whills will bring back Anakin in the ST or help take Luke to the afterlife like Fantine did with Valjean in Les Miserables.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The non-hardcore fan audience (which let's face it, is gonna be the bulk of the people seeing the movie) aren't going to have the foggiest idea who the hell the Whills are much less care who they are unless they are introduced as early on as being pivotal to the story. Since Episode 7 is likely to be a recap of the first six films AND have to get the story rolling for the next couple of films, I'm gonna say no, we won't see much of anything about the Whills or get any better explanation as to who they are and what makes their journal so darned special.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The same non-hardcore fans who weren't familiar with Vader in 1976.

Episode Swag and Darth Eddie like this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The Whills are a terribly stupid idea and shouldn't be in the movies or anything else.

7. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    And again, unless they're pivotal to the story, then they likely won't be seen or heard from again.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They've never been heard from at all.

9. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I heard from them yesterday.

Today...not so much.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  10. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i think that was GL's original idea, why R2 is so important...a long time ago caption is R2telling the story millenia after, always been my view

11. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I have in the past suspected that the Mortis storyline from TCW might have been related somehow to the Whills.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Do you have a page reference for that? I don't remember the Whills being mentioned in the Ep.III novel at all.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  13. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
  14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    He got in ONE LITTLE FIGHT and his Master got scared, and said "You're movin' in with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air!" [face_dancing]

15. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's intrigued me since reading the Prologue of Star Wars when I was a boy. "From the First Saga. Journal of the Whills". My guess is that self professed Star Wars Fan™ J.J. Abrams has never heard of it.

Episode Swag likes this.
  16. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Same here. I've often thought it would be cool to hear more about the Whills, the First Saga, and the Son of Suns.

17. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I think the concept of the Whills as being record keepers is a very intriguing and cool idea. However, I also think that if they are used in the plot a lot in the ST, then there is a huge risk that the story will be rather cheesy. Not to mention the fact that it would disconnect this trilogy from the others story wise. As it stands, the saga is about Darth Vader and his son Luke. Both trilogies are tied together as a cohesive story so brilliantly it's quite a feat in of itself. Bringing in the Whills or something similar runs on a different vein in the narrative when compared to the other movies. Continuity and flow is what's important here I think, and if handled wrong something like the Whills could ruin it.

Now they may be able to pull it off if they tried, but I think it would be stupid hard for them to do so. And if they did, you know George is gonna make another change to episodes 4 and 3 to put in the "missing dialogue" (aka Obi/Qui Gon/Yoda would have some added lines about the Whills.) And the purists would rage again. Well, actually that is disney's choice to change the old movies huh? Well, I guess they probably wouldn't change them, but still you know what I mean.

18. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Perhaps we'll learn more about the Shamans of the Whills? Who else wants to be introduced to Force-user groups besides the Jedi and the Sith?

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    The Whills became the MIdiclorians (ala Starkiller became Skywalker, and Lizard Man became Han Solo) and we know how THAT turned out...

20. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i think when people talk about the concept of the whills, i think the most important part is the journal, the narrator, the keeper, R2, well it is for me

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    not true. Rather, some components of them became The Force while other components of them remain G-Canon to this day.

22. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I imagine if the Whills were brought into all this, it would come from a suggestion by J.J. Abrams, like maybe a brief mention or new race of people unnamed in the treatment ideas. "Okay how about if these beings mentioned here be called those Whills from the novelization...and perhaps they can look like..."
    I kind of want some of the unexplained stuff from that long ago to stay that way. Let us continue to ponder about the Whills.

23. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Wouldn't mind seeing some other force orders in film. Doesn't necessarily have to be the Whills

24. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Yes, I've suspected this. As my username might suggest, I was a big fan of the Mortis arc.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  25. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    The Whills became the MIdiclorians (ala Starkiller became Skywalker, and Lizard Man became Han Solo) and we know how THAT turned out...
    -------------

this.

That said the whills (to me) are something that is good for Fanfic or something used a "Jedi Mythology" but does it belong in a film? I don't see how it should to be honest, unless it turns out the whills are inter dimensional aliens bent on destruction,

oh wait...