main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation OFFICIAL Episode VII/Spin-Off Casting Rumors and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kez-Iban, Oct 31, 2012.

1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
    - Jedi Master, think of him as being in the Yoda role from the OT and PT. He could quite likely not be directly involved in the action.

Harrison Ford as Han Solo
    - Retired but Extremely Dangerous, perhaps he kicked a hornets nest or something... I really am not sure what Harrison Ford's role will be. At his age, maybe he's an admiral or something. Harrison Ford might want a death scene.

Carrie Fischer as Leia Organa Solo
    - Parent and Politician, probably high up in the New Republic either acting as a chancellor or president... or perhaps she's a bit lower down and part of a diplomatic corps or something.

Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.
    - Apprentice #1... aka the new Protagonist. Either this is a daughter of Luke or a daughter of Leia and Han. Does not fit any known EU character (except maybe Allana, which I'm going to put down as being just as likely as hell freezing over).

Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.
    - Apprentice #2... aka the new Protagonist's brother or cousin. Either he's a son of Luke (not traditionally good looking kind of goes with that) or Leia and Han. Could be Ben Skywalker, but again I'm not going to say this is likely.

A late twenty something male, fit, handsome and confident.
    - Scoundrel, Smuggler, or Military type that acts as an ally and support. Much like Han Solo did in the Original Trilogy. Likely Apprentice #1's love interest.

Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn't need to be particularly fit.
    - The Villain, probably a purely political threat... the Jedi aren't exactly the most liked bunch in the universe after all. This doesn't necessarily mean that we won't see jedi casualties and warfare.

A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.
    - Apprentice #3... Friend of Apprentice #1 and likely love interest for Apprentice #2. She could be a Solo or a Skywalker depending on if Apprentice #2 is, but likely isn't.

Forty something male, fit, military type.
    - Jedi Knight or Military Leader, likely the immediate master or adviser to our protagonists since Luke almost certainly has the Jedi Master Yoda type role. A Corran Horn type, or something similar perhaps?

Thirty Something male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.
    - Jedi Knight or Scientist, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if we didn't get the NJO and it's follow ups... this would be Jacen Solo. As I'm going to ignore that... I have no idea who this will be.

2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    As I've said before, the 70 something year old is probably the most interesting to be cast because of his age. A 70 something year old could be playing an 80 something year old. They're just casting younger so that the guy doesn't die during production of the films. But it also means the characters lifespan covers just about everything we've seen on film. He is a link to the days of TPM. He could be so many things. He could be a Jedi Padawan who survived and was never made a Jedi who then became an Imperial/Military guy who now is Chancellor of the galaxy for all we know. Did he know Anakin? Did he know Padme? Did he know Palpatine? Did he know Shmi?

BigAl6ft6 and CaptainRegor like this.
  3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

Could just be them re-casting Luke or Han?

4. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    The ages on the Casting Call are for the CHARACTERS, not the ACTORS. The actors' ages don't have to match, they just need to be reasonably convincing as portraying that age. For instance... the two late-teens women could be (fraternal) twins since they are the only ones that share an age range; one could be played by a 24-year-old, the other by a 17-year-old, both characters meant to be 19 in the film.

Absolutely not. The Casting Call are for the NEW leads; Han, Leia, Luke--none are present on that sheet (not to mention: word from Hamill, at least, is that the Big Three would be written out rather than recast IF the actors didn't wanna be in the film)

5. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I am fully aware that the actors ages don't have to match. I think my post, if nothing else, makes that clear. However I am aware, knowing the history of the Star Wars universe, that the ages of characters can change. The description of "70 something" comes across as a flexible final number to say the least. To me the character could end up being 83 years old when it's all said and done but being played by a 69 year old or a 76 year old. To a casting director though, if the character ultimately turns out to be 81, it doesn't mean you want to post anything suggesting you're willing to audition actors in their 80s. It's a lot easier for a younger man to play an older man. Especially at that age when the actor could just die during filming.

That said, listing the character as "70 something" pretty much sends out the signal that they want this character to be old and it makes sure that this character was alive during the events of TPM. Who knows if that will become a plot point but its fun to speculate. But whether that character was a small child during the events of TPM or a young adult remains to be seen. For instance... the character could end up being 79 years old with only 25 years passing between ROTJ and EP7. If there's 37 years between TPM and ROTJ, that would mean the character was 17 during the events of TPM. But obviously the character could be younger OR for the sake of what they end up writing and ultimately going with by the time they start filming, the character could become older.

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  7. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned him, but Sebastian Stan looks like a Skywalker to me (specifically EBS vintage Hamill) and has a strong Disney link through the Winter Soldier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JainaSoloYJK, VMeran, TheBBP and 4 others like this.
  8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    He'll be busy with Marvel plus.........he freaking creeps me out. IDKY but something about him just rubs me the wrong way. No wonder I nicknamed him "Creepy Bucky" :p

9. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I think he'd be great, but he does have a dark side. Won't Winter Soldier be done by then?

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought that first picture was Mark Hamill until I looked at it harder. Yeah, he does have a strong resemblence.

11. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Apparantly Stan is signed on to do multiple films *I even remember seeing something that said he is contracted to do more films than Evans himself!* so I dont see him being in Star Wars any time soon. Plus he's totally evil looking....just like that guy from Les Mis. Look at this face and tell me that dude doesn't look evil!
    [​IMG]
    Now I have a certain "Creepy Bucky" pic but I dont want to post it here because you all will have nightmares

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've been thinking about Chewbacca and Peter Mayhew and his bad knees (everybody knows he needs a cane now, right?). Since Chewie was 200 in ANH, I think he's earned the right to get old in the ST and walk with a cane onscreen. If he's hobbling around while his friends pretend he's as strong as ever to his face and trading sad looks behind him, that could have a lot of pathos. It would be like a family with an old dog that they love too much to put down even though it's past time. And I believe Michael Arndt could write it.

13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Maybe they can give Chewbacca the knee device that Christian Bale used in The Dark Knight Rises.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That wouldn't help Peter Mayhew's knees. He just can't run around doing all the classic athletic Wookiee stuff he used to do. I don't want to see another actor in the suit, and I certainly don't want CGI Chewie, so I think the best solution is to have Chewie deal with the same problem as Mayhew.

15. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    But Wookiees live for SEVERAL centuries... Chewie would only be in his mid-200s in the ST. Still young. If he somehow slipped thru a wormhole and aged another two or three hundred years, then having an 'elderly' Chewie would make sense.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  16. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    Mayhew may have to pass the torch but theres no shame in that.

He did a great job on the original films, having a new guy in the suit wouldn't erase it.

Krueger, Toonimator and Darth Claire like this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Wow, he really does look like a Skywalker.

18. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Dannnnnnng. That is uncanny.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Where is that written? It's not in the movies, so it's not much of a retcon to say that 200 is old for a Wookiee.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    See, this could be a stumbling block if only because Han is old, Leia is old, Luke is old, Chewie is ... still looks exactly like Chewie did 30 years ago? That would be a bit wacky. I'm fairly certain they will age him. Spock in Star Trek Original series/ Next Generation looked about the same for 100 years ("Undiscovered Country" to "Next Generation: Unification". Then aged a bit more in 15 years in "Star Trek")

Good call, I'm almost certain this guy will the link between the PT & the OT & ST, considering everyone who was running around during the PT is dead by this point. (Baby Leia & Luke don't count! Neither do Chewie or Artoo cuz they talk differently and Threepio had his mind wiped)

JainaSoloYJK and Darth Archimage like this.
  21. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    So...wait. You're telling me people wouldn't be able to 'get' that Luke, Han, Leia all aged, but Chewie didn't age a whole lot? Y'ever hear of a guy called Yoda? He, like Spock, showed some significant aging fairly quickly because he was super old... Chewie's NEVER been described as "super old". He had a young kid in the Holiday Special. He was said to be fairly young for a Wookiee despite being 200-something. Also, another thing Yoda, Spock, and Chewie share in common: they're NOT HUMAN (well, Spock's half-human, which might explain his odd aging spurts) so human lifespans don't necessarily apply to them.

...what about Baby Han? He was alive during the PT, tho not in it (thankfully). This new guy's about the same age as Han, so he was still not even a tween, probably, by the end of the PT.

22. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013

I can't think of anyone from the PT movies, but Lux Bonteri from TCW might fit the age.
    He has a pretty diverse background being linked to the Separatist Parliament, Death Watch and Onderon rebels -- could be a strong leader by the time he is 70ish

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yoda is small, wrinkly, and green. He looks perpetually old and flat out says in the movie "when 900 years old you reach". Chewie lookin' virile and exactly like he did in ROTJ standing beside Old Luke, Old Leia & Old Han would look downright bizarre. If anything, Abrams is a visual stylist and he'd probably not want Chewie to come across as jarringly young compared to aged the iconic main characters.

24. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    "Downright bizarre"? Only in your mind. YOUR mind, not most everyone else.

He's a 200-something year old alien. Suddenly capping his lifespan around 270 so he can appear "old" like Han is just talking down to the audiences, calling 'em stupid.

George basically likened Chewie to a faithful dog, which was pretty lousy for Chewie as it dumped him into second-class status and cost him a medal, but the comparison is there. People get that dogs don't live anywhere near as long as humans. Why is it so hard to just FLIP that and recognize that Wookiees live a LOT longer than humans? "Wait, wait, wait... okay... Marley's a puppy, right, when he goes to live with Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston. So why aren't they old and wrinkly when Marley dies? It makes no sense!"

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Big difference there between Marley & Me and Star Wars there, bub. Also getting a tad aggressive with punctuation there. It's simply logical to assume that Chewbacca will look aged with the OT leads since he's was a part of their original adventures. Anyway, he's going to look old in Ep. 7 anyway so it makes this whole argument moot.

Sarge likes this.