main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Could a gangster novel work in an SW setting?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Arapsis, Jul 9, 2013.

1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    They should do a gangster style novel following the Viraxo side of the story during X-Wing Alliance.

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The ideal Star Wars gangster story was already done, in the Samurai Jack episode with the robotic Chicago mobsters. Just replace Jack with a Jedi.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Hey, how about that.

Oh, god, I'm becoming one of those people.

But anyway, bring on the crooks. For as much as Star Wars features the fringe as a prominent element, we haven't had that many stories really focused on criminality, and the fringe has disappeared way too much from the ongoing post-ROTJ story. I would absolutely love some stories that focus on the criminal element, especially if we can get some new fringe original character leads -- or use old fringe characters as leads. Bring on the Matthew Stover-penned Gallandro novel! Bring on the Booster-and-Karrde buddy-crook comic!

4. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I'm not sure about a hardcore godfather type book, but I'd love to read more about Dash Rendar and other smugglers and non do wells.

Reaper63 likes this.
  5. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Try Crispin's Han Solo trilogy and Daley's.

6. AdmiralSteven

Dec 23, 2010
    I've read the Han Solo trilogy, couldn't put it down, and I just started Han Solo at Star's End (thanks to a friend who found all three books of the series at a book sale), and loving it so far. But I want more books that don't have the Jedi as the main character(s). I'm now on the look out for the Lando Calrissian books.

7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

I'd love for any type of gangster novel to feature Lando in some way. One of the greatest characters in the entire series, but he's really gotten the short end of things in the novel department. Oh when he appears he always makes an extravagant entrance and tends to be treated with respect, but it's been ages since we had a story that focused just on him.

8. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    John Jackson Miller would be the perfect person to write a Lando novel.

9. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    Read Darth Plagius, he was basically a galactic gangster, and the novel delves deep into the pre clone wars underworld.

10. AdmiralSteven

Dec 23, 2010

I would agree. I'm sure there's a lot out there in the graphic novels/comics dept, there has to be because Wookiee's Lando page is pretty long, but I would love to read up on his past adventures in a good novel.

11. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    Gangsters don't try to be heads of governments,. most people don't think of Saddam or Charlamgne as gangsters.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I do, they just happened to be more successful then many others. [face_whistling]

13. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Duh, read the Jabba the Hutt comic series... ;)

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would like to show you the Hutt section of the Mrlsst Planetary University Library

15. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    Yeah with hutts it seems natural because of Jabba.

There is also the question. What kind of gangsters. The suit wearing elegant type or street thugs as main characters.

16. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Couldn't anything with a large Black Sun or Hutt presence be considered a gangster novel?

17. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    Not really unless the protagnist is a gangster.

18. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    If a novel like this ever comes to pass, the author needs to include a scene where the gangster smashes a fruit into the face of his moll.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What about a book based on SW: Empire at War: Force of Corruption? Personally speaking, I would read that

20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    A gangster story can work in any setting.

[​IMG]

jSarek likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    "It is logical that we fill him with lead"

22. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
  23. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Nitpick here, or possibly just to expand on this; with everyone getting run over by the Empire, the Star Wars universe is kind of a crapsack world. While you've got your hardened criminals like Black Sun and the Hutt families, I think part of the point is that the way society works also drives a lot of people into the underworld who might otherwise be straight - like these Soviet bloc type societies where the black market is huge and practically *everyone* is in on it. One of the characters in Han Solo At Stars' End touched on that by noting that the authorities were driving "hardheaded, intractable individualists" like Solo into illegality (though in that case it was the CSA, not the Empire, but they seem to operate pretty much the same way) and so creating their own opponents.

The underworld is never "nice" and they shouldn't portray it that way, but in a society like this, it's not as simple as "they're just people who can't function in society" either. Which leaves a ton of gray area for characters like Talon Karrde... so, yeah, I love this idea.

24. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    If anyone can convince Michael Stackpole to start writing again, there's always Hal Horn's story, which would work on a variety of levels - the "cop fighting crime" angle, the "Jedi hiding from the Empire" angle, and the "how do you enforce law and order, which people still need, under a regime as brutal as the Empire, and not become corrupted yourself?" angle.

And Corellia's a great place to set a crime story. It already has a host of criminals that could show up - Booster Terrik, Flirry Vorru, Zekka Thyne, Garris Shrike, Jorj Car'das.

(Ooo, hey, there you go. You wanted The Godfather of Star Wars? "The Rise And Fall Of Jorj Car'das." We already know the basics, but that doesn't mean we can't wring a good novel out of it).

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Scourge comes to mind as a novel with a focus on a criminal family, of sorts.