main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How should Vader be handled in the series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually it predates Force Lightning- making its first appearance in Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader clarifies that it was indeed some kind of Force Lightning Vader was using in SotME- but suggests that he was only able to use it due to being close to the Kaiburr Crystal.

VanishingReality likes this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Circular_Logic
    Well, but aside from this very over the top portrayal (Maul and Savage should have at least put up a decent fight against him. Maul was after all a Darth, for hells sake!), I don't remember him doing it at all. So it is definitely not one of his preferred abilities.

@ Iron_Lord

Okay, though this is pretty confusing. I still stand to the opinion that he should either be capable of using force lightning or not. No powers that masquerade as force lightning!

3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Nothing wrong with having a favorite move. Vader loves his choke and Palps loves his lightning.

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    QFT.

[​IMG]

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I always saw kinetite as I huge cop out to allow Darth Vader to use Force Lightning. And, I believe, kinetite is more powerful, too. Another massive flaw in the "he cannot generate Force Lightning" is the Force Unleashed series. In the final duel on Kamino, Vader was able to gather residual electricity from the lightning rods and blast it at Starkiller. He even absorbs it and sends it through his hands.

See video at 2:19 onwards (granted a game, but its considered canon)

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, I wouldn't mind it if Vader is capable of using force lightning. Maybe it wouldn't short-circuit his cybernetics (it doesn't damage human hands also)? And I'd also be okay if he simply couldn't use it.

But these copouts seem so unnecessary and confusing. If someone picks up Ghost Prison he would certainly think Vader was using force lightning, just to be told later that he didn't.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Force lightning is not exactly normal electricity, it must be said.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Granted.

But, still, he absorbs the electricity without overpowering his circuit board.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That does suggest his suit is pretty resistant. Palpatine mentions (in Dark Lord) that he can "easily overpower" the suit- when asking Vader why he doesn't attack Palpatine.

10. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    *reads the last couple of posts*

Are you all debating whether or not Vader should use force lightning in Rebels, that Palp's lightning can overpower Vader's suit, or both?

11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    IF Vader can use this force power and, if he can, will it appear in Rebels.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, that was before Vader started tinkering on it. Backup energy sources, failsaves: a loss of power can be prevented.

What I do know is that Vader withstood a buttload of lightning blasts in ROTJ, much more than Anakin in AOTC could take.

13. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Might have also been though that Vader was willing to die to take out Palps in that case. Tactics can be quite different when you don't care about what damage u are taking

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It only took Dooku one five second bolt to incapacitate Anakin. I am not sure what tactics has to do with it. When the body goes into shock it goes into shock.

15. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    True I suppose the armor should be a better insulator anyway I suppose.

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    No force lightning for Vader, ever.

Jedi_Kenobi32 and eht13 like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It did, however, kill him- though he only expired a short time afterward.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, and this happened after he had taken a dose that would've killed anyone.

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if Rebels contradicts many aspects of Vader and present him more powerful than ever before.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Hopefully. Vader was misused a lot in the last few years. At least DH lets him still kick ass.

21. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I agree completely. Let Palps be the one using the force lightning and Vader be the using the force choke. I'll admit that I was a bit dissapointed when it was revealed in AOTC that Dooku could use force lightning too. Prior to that film's release I'd always assumed (at least in regards to the main SW films) that the force lightning was unique to Palpatine only.

So yeah as SithStarSlayer stated no force lightning for Vader.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    He doesn't need any of that... he just needs to be Darth Vader.

23. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    I don't know more powerful then what?

Still I want to see him dominating when he shows up in combat and I guess a high quality schemer back when he is not. Which is weird to think of giving how much Anakin failed at being subtle and scheming.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    More powerful than in books were a ragtag bunch of misfits more concerned with personal relationships manage to escape him. More powerful than in comics where Boba Fett almost defeats him with a lightsaber.

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the emotional aspect of Vader's character will be explored in later seasons; don't think they will go there straight away.

(I hope)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.