main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Flip Luke and Leia

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Luke Organa, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke Organa

Luke Organa Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2013
    What if the Organas desired a son rather than a daughter and chose to raise Luke instead of Leia? Obi-Wan brings Leia to Tatooine to be raised by her aunt and uncle: Prince Luke Organa, and Leia Skywalker (or Lars) instead.

Luke’s naturally impulsive and restless personality would make him a rare warrior on the peaceful Alderaan, with the influence and entitlement to (maybe) shift the sentiment of Alderaanians from non-violence to armed resistance against the Empire. As a Prince, Luke wouldn’t be as constrained by his upbringing as he was on Tatooine. Even if his fellow Alderaanians didn't want to take up arms, he would probably still act against the wishes of his parents (who want him to be a diplomat) and join the Rebellion.

Leia would find that her extraordinary intuitiveness and natural empathy towards other living creatures separates her from her “hick” farm community. Owen and Beru would be even more protective of Leia than Luke, but I think Leia would sense strongly through the Force that someone else is watching her and looking out for her. She would run away from home and go searching for the strong feeling in the Force she can’t yet articulate but knows is there, and find Obi-Wan herself.

What would be the storyline implications of this change? Would Luke be a part of the Rebel Alliance earlier, and a thorn in Vader and the Emperor’s side as a great pilot and renowned warrior before the events of ANH? Could he use his natural charisma, leadership and reputation to strengthen the Rebellion and destroy the Death Star well before the Battle of Yavin?

I think Leia would persuade Obi-Wan to reveal more about the truth of her heritage than Obi-Wan may want to dish out. Obi-Wan would come around to thinking that Leia is emotionally mature enough to handle the information without his slanted "point of view", even about Vader as her father and the famous Luke Organa as her brother (I think she’s the emotionally strongest character in the SW universe: she was able to go on even after watching her home planet get annihilated in ANH remember).

Also, what would be the implications of Leia being the first twin to handle a lightsaber and receive Jedi training? I think R2 and Chewie, both being hidden agents of the Rebellion (at least in my imagination, according to the famous theory), would bring 3P0 and Han into the mix in any case, so you don’t have to omit them. Could Han handle a Leia Skywalker who is partially a Jedi Knight when they first meet?

Thoughts?

2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I think you answered most of your own questions. Interesting concept. Would have still worked out, I suppose.

3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I read this thread as a **** Luke and Leia, [face_worried] I was thinking someone wasn't a fan :p

anyway, interesting concept

4. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I think the majority of things would have actually remained the same - Luke and Leia are a lot alike, and if they were swapped, events would have progressed the same, just with Luke and Leia swapped. I do think that Vader may have caught on to Luke being his son, however, due to a (presumed, because it obviously can't be shown on film) resemblence between Anakin and Luke. That, coupled with Luke's natural piloting instincts, could have caused Vader to look into the origins of Luke Organa sooner, and discover that he is Luke's father.

5. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I'm trying to picture Carrie Fisher telling Uncle Owen she had to pick up some power converters at the Tosche Station! :p

Mr. K likes this.
  6. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Hah! I cannot picture a whiny Carrie Fisher. Leia would just go to Tosche Station regardless and if Owen tried to stop her, she would debate him until he gave in.

Pensivia and Carbon1985 like this.
  7. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    "Uncle Owen, i recognized your foul stench while working on the farm all day."

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    (storming past Aunt Beru) "Would someone get this big bag of blue milk out of my way?"

Mr. K and Carbon1985 like this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You mention Luke's impulsiveness and reckless personality, yet, could one not say that the personality we know of is a result of his constrained upbringing on Tatooine? We know he was bored crapless there his whole life, and that seemed to play a major role in forming his personality. I don't think it would work out the way you say if this wasn't the case.

10. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Aunt Beru: You can't prevent Leia from dating as she has too much of her mother in her.

Uncle Owen: That's what I'm afraid of, she'll probably fall for some mass murderer too!

Seagoat likes this.
  11. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Another thread I was posting in, I forget which, made me think that if Leia's mission at the beginning of ANH had gone off with less of a hitch, that she would have made direct contact with Obi-Wan (whom she never met face-to-face, by the way), that SHE would have been the first to receive the next-gen Jedi training instead of Luke, (who may have gotten caught up in the adventure else-how), ultimately meaning the conversation Luke and Leia have in the Ewok village would have been reversed.

Early drafts of 'The Star Wars' had Luke's role as a female. There is much buzz that the Sequel Trilogy will have a female lead character. This topic gives us all much to meditate on.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "Aren't you a little curvy for a Stormtrooper?"

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I haven't the foggiest idea how that scenario would play out.

14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    May well have needed some other actors if they'd gone that way. Carrie Fisher was chosen for her slightly haughty air and Mark for his windswept, every-man vibe from what I can recall. Not quite suitable for a prince and a farm girl perhaps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.