main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Isn't Admiral Ackbar named after Akbar the Great? Kind of like how Ahsoka is named after Indian Emperor Ashoka.

Though akbar means great, so Akbar the Great is kind of redundant.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Can we vote or something? As a litizen, I want to know what this Fred has to offer for me. What is his opinion of Outer Rim trade taxations, off-topic, vs-threads and sentient hats? And what can Ackbar promise to a voter who wants more than a full-time trap revealer?

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ten credits to the first person to edit that to "Fred". [face_whistling]

5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Forget maps, show us the characters.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay that's really fascinating -- more importantly than just the maps and cities, we get the initial faction set up, including the set up of the non-playables. We get to see all their faction logos at last, too.

I am currently fascinated by the Seleucid setup -- instead of being a big grey blob like in RTW1, it looks like they're simulating the satrapy system through client states: Media, Media Atropane, Parthava, Persia, etc are all clients of the Seleucid Basileus. That leads to the interesting result (irritating actually) that the putative capital -- Seleucia-on-the-Tigris -- is actually controlled by Media. That means Antiocheia-on-the-Orontes is the Seleucid capital, which isn't accurate for this start date.... at least, if the start date is what I think it is. If it's after like 242bc or so then we're good.

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Actually way more interested in these than the map itself. If they come out in any larger a size, I'll be able to give CK2 at least semi-appropriate duchy and kingdom symbols for the ancient world, at last!

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Achievement unlocked: taking out a Mon Calamari light cruiser in a TIE Fighter.

Since XWA is becoming too easy, I decided to go back to TIE for a real challenge: finish the game and complete ALL the bonus objectives. I was able to only make it to the end of battle 2 before my first failure: that mission requires, inter alia, for you to have killed a light cruiser, a Neb-B, a modified corvette, and two cargo ferries. By the time said ships show up, most of the Imperial fighters are blown to pieces... and like I said, you're flying an unshielded TIE Fighter in that mission.

I managed to take out the ferries and the light cruiser without dying. And I was about to take the corvette, but then it jerked away once its shields were down and spitted me with a lot of lasers. Ow. :(

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ladies and gentlemen, I will now make Jello's head explode.

I only played the first 5-10 missions of TIE Fighter, then lost interest. [face_dunno]

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I am going to restrain myself from attacking you in a near-feral rage by asking you, quite calmly, one question: did you play the original DOS version (including the Collector's CD upgrade) or did you play the Windows 95 remastered version?

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    DOS. That's why, by the time I became curious about going back to it, it was too late.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going to ask this and you can laugh and call me a n00b while you answer:

How hard is it to convert Windows 95 games to Windows 7? Can it be done at all?

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    After having Jello hold my hand for bit, I was able to get my 95 CD of Rebellion to work. Possible, but not simple.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Depends on the game in question, but yes it can be done most of the time. Sometimes there are weird issues -- like how the game Force Commander is playable but only at minimum settings, because the game can't understand modern graphics hardware.

Ah, see, because the DOS version is the good version. Granted, if you're coming from XWA it's going to seem very backwards because it's a super early version of the engine.

I suppose I shouldn't judge you too hard because I find X-wing so backwards that I can't even finish a single mission.

That said, play TIE. It's the best. It made me who I am today. :p

Blithe likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, my TIE experience was pre-XWA. I played the whole series in order--TIE just didn't last very long at its point in the rotation. :p

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    That's not how you make Jello's head explode. This is how you make Jello's head explode.

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Anyone know how long the Steam summer sale will last? Perfect time to be stuck on a boring vacation...

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    X-Wing is fine if you play the updated graphics version.

I have a soft spot for all the X-Wing series, even the XvT main game.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Holy ****, Starkeiller. You've simultaneously boosted my "like" count and reminded me just how much I posted in the Cad Bane thread. I'm not sure if I should be grateful, resentful, or...... contradictory.

darthcaedus1138 and jSarek like this.
  23. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    That thread was good. Cherish it.

Ulicus , tjace and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I come back after 2 days to find that I have over 50 alerts. Turns out they're all from the same thread :p

25. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I apologize for any inconvenience. I am done now. Utterly pointless and silly as it was, I had to do that. I had to do it for anarchy.

It was, you know, one of those times when a strong moral principle was required to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off.

Sadly, I lack said moral principle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.