main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum Organization

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Guiz plz. I love the move and no complaints about anything except this is the only thing that I haven't been able to get used to, and really, it sucks. I have so many feelings about this matter that I just can't do anything but hold myself everytime I open the JCC and pretend that a nonexistant friend is hugging me and whispering that everything is going to be okay.

Can you guys reconsider the whole merging tons of forums together into one? I know we use tags to see just one group or whatever, but that's not automatic and the whole no-entertainment-outside-of-amph thing is stupid. The YJCC used to be a place where we could go to say stupid crap and post about movies in unintelligent broken english. Now it's full of middle aged women named stuff like Moonstar_UnicornPoots playing scrabble games and a ton of political people talking all serious about countries other than the USA. And if you want to talk about a movie you have to actually use sentences and explain your feelings rationally. And there are sports everywhereeeeeeee.

I get maybe the combination of a couple of forums, but there's so much **** in the JC now that I only end up looking at a couple of the same threads each day. I understand the merge of Amph. *Maybe* I could understand the merge with Arena. But yahtzi games + the Senate just seems like laziness or something. That crap doesn't belong there. And the users posting in those are for the most part different than those posting in all the other ones. A couple cross over but meh, not enough that I could see it being rational. If anything wouldn't you want to merge video games with the JCC? Doesn't that kind of cross over into the same target audience as Amph + YJCC?

Also plz don't reply with that it's too much work to move these sub forums. It's too much work for me to click the tabs every single time I go to the JC. Just merge the ones you want together, scrap the tabs, be done with it. Go put scrabble poots and the senate together in their own personal hell and call it a day.

CT-867-5309, Debo and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I can get a hint. I'll stop posting in the JCC.

Back to LACWAC then.

[​IMG]

Oh **** there IS no LACWAC!

But to be sirius for once, I actually agree about the games -- I remember there had been talk on the other side of the mod veil that the games wouldn't be mixed with the JCC, and somehow it happened anyway. I can see Amph. Maaaaaybe Senate, although it defeats the purpose of the JCC being an animal funny farm. I suppose it comes down to whatever rep you want the JCC to have these days.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Firstly, I'm going to assume this is a serious post and not a troll post (no offense). :p

Is there any way to allow users to permanently filter on specific tags? If it's possible then it may be the easiest solution....just have your preferences set to only show "JCC" and you'll never see the other threads. If not then as I said in this thread a case can still be made to at least separate The Senate because it still requires specific posting guidelines that are different than the rest of Community.

Perhaps the Amph tag needs to be renamed to "Media" or something like that. My understanding is that the Amphitheatre forum we used to post at is esentially gone and we can talk in broken english in those threads. The "Amph" tag is just a way of indicating what the thread subject is about and nothing more. If I'm wrong on that then someone let me know. But I can see why people would think they'd need to discuss a little more in-depth which goes back to my first point that perhaps it should just be renamed to get rid of that Amph stigma.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    BC, there is still LACWAC. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it because I'm too damn old and stubborn to start calling it something else. And "Star Wars TV" doesn't have the advantage of sounding like it comes from a duck in a popular TV commercial.

On SLG's OP...the advantage I found to merging forums was that I wasn't sticking to the same old places like I did on the IGN boards; I posted in Arena for the first time on the temp boards.

The disadvantage is that on the IGN boards, I knew I had to put on a power suit and heels before even opening the Senate forum, but now if I see someone post a Srs Debatable Subject thread, I have to check and see how it's tagged before I reply. It's not a big deal to me but I can see why some people would be bothered by it, and I can't count the number of times I've seen the "this is a Senate-tagged thread" post reminding people of the dress code.

If it is possible with the site's coding to have a permanent forum filter, that might be a win-win solution.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Idiocracy isn't supposed to happen for another 500 years. We're trying to keep it that way. ;)

Seriously though, there are advantages to the current setup, as well as advantages for separating some forums out again. We've already been discussing aspects of this in MS.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Leave it the way it is. There isn't remotely enough traffic to support a separation.

7. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I go back and forth on this one, but I think ultimately I'm ok with the way it is now. I was very against this at the beginning and I definitely dislike the loss of the Arena community, however I've friended them all on facebook and merely enjoy the community there now instead of here.

I do like how this new way has tamed the JCC. I never thought it would happen, but it did and I kinda like it. There are still silly threads, but far less than there used to be and most of them get buried under real discussions from Amph, Arena, and the Senate threads.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Why would you want the jcc to be tame?

9. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    There is if you divide it into 2 groups. Serious vs. lighthearted forums.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    So after all the kerfuffle we had about the change to the current format during/after The Move, there's a chance to undo all of that? How fickle are we around here?

:p

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I don't remember this part ever being discussed. Not among the users anyways. It was more of a this is how it is now thing.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This.

13. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    I will post two more posts every day if you split it up.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

You're right... I should have addressed my post to Grimby there, but I forgot to. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if any changes stem at all from this discussion (and whatever discussions are going on in the MS). Either way, the boards will still be around in some form, and that's all that matters.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It was discussed over on the Temp Boards.

16. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
  17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Only 60 pages? Huh, thought it was longer.

I'm really ambivalent on the merged community, these days. I like it for the convenience of having a bunch of boards I browse all in one place, but there are some faults; either way it's hard for me to have a strong opinion one way or the other.

DarthTunick likes this.
  19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I will say this about that thread: it sure as hell helped to pass the time during many afternoon's at Walmart last summer. How could I be focused on work when there was stuff to get "outraged" over? :p

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol... has anybody heard from Zaz... at all, or did he just fall off the face of the Earth? :p

21. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm not reading 60 pages of crap. There's no need. You make a list of pros and cons of the forum combination and choose whichever has most. Arguing back and forth can go forever.

GGrievous likes this.
  22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I don't want to read the majority of the jcc stuff at all which is why I was against the merge in the first place. I come here for actual discussions, not reading pages of people putting other people down or nonsense. For the most part the only time I see that now is against Juliet and she does do what she is being made fun of for so it isn't horrible. I get that some people like the nonsense and that's fine. There is a place for it. Right now that is the JCC tab. I was worried that it would spread to the other forums where serious discussions take place and it hasn't. The mods have done a good job of keeping the tabs separate and I give them a lot of credit for it. We had a few issues at first, but they stuck to their guns and people settled down. I don't have to read the nonsense, I can click on my tabs and be a happy user.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, this is sort of what I was getting at -- speaking as someone who didn't used to post in the JCC due to its old rep (I would occasionally glance in to read the first page and be generally befuddled/disgusted at humanity the rest of the day), it's not at all what it used to be. I'm actually reading threads in there regularly now when I never did before. And I know I'm not the only one. So if the goal of merging forums was to draw in new people, it's being achieved.
    But the question would be, are people leaving? Because there are old regulars I don't see posting there anymore, or at least infrequently. And there's a lot of tension between people who can't take a joke/want to talk srs bsns/are just there for a good time. Then again, maybe that was what the JCC was always like (y'all would know more than me about that).

I would imagine this would be preferable. And it would have saved the Lit/EUC divide last year as well.

Teh haxored again no doubt.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The JCC has been "tamed"?

I don't see why JCC'ers have any room to complain. Media threads are supposed to be automatically tagged "Amph" but we can still post stupid crap in them, and the Senate practically doesn't exist anymore because most favor tagging politics and current events threads as JCC.

I do think the games are dumb and I find it funny whenever people mistake it to mean videogames. I just skip over them.

25. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    ^ I pretty much agree with that, it is nice to have different members posting in there. But I think there's a huge difference between dividing all the forums up and dividing some of them up. There is a middle ground. It doesn't have to be keep them all separate or keep them all combined. In this case, like I said earlier...why not keep the ones with similar audiences together, and separate the other ones? Combine YJCC, Amph, Arena + Videogames. Figure out where the Senate etc could fit in somewhere else on the forum, or keep it separate if you have to. I definitely do see a lot of Senate threads, not sure why DGuy isn't. Maybe he's evolving into a higher being unable to see such unsightly conversations. As far as game games go, I honestly don't see how that fits with YJCC + Amph + Senate, nor do I see where it fits at all. Fanfiction? Lit? Drop that bomb in Lit. Those folk are very serious and could use some old timey parcheesi to lift the spirits.