main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That doesn't really change... anything, though. The entire thing's a dream sequence that may or may not have any bearing on Hyrule (Unless we get into the bizarre Marin twist from the best ending), and the only thing placing it without an immediate sequel does is confound matters further.

Mind you, I'll fully recant that if ALttP2 starts with Link coming off a boat or whatever. :p

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I personally have a thing for creator's intent. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if ALTTP2 (now ALBW) references LA.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll agree it's not a definitive connection to Ganon, but I think it's a possible connection. Though Link's memories works too.

EDIT- Woah, whole conversation loaded between posts, heh.

LA actually started as an ALTTP port before it was turned into it's own game. I don't see any reason it should be removed from the timeline- the manual gave a clear indication of how it connects to ALTTP and the Oracles games connected to it via the boat as well.

Not to mention the Owl ;).

And, let's face it- Link encountering Wart in another dream world is the most brilliant crossover possible. :cool:

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you for your theory. If Nightmare IS Ganon's spirit, I hope ALBW will tell us that along with the details of how Ganon was ressurected for LOZ.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Actually, I feel that FSA and OOT should be on separate branches.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Geographically, since the seas surrounding Hyrule have seemingly begun to rise, I'd think FSA would fit in nicely before TWW, but then, that geographic connection works best if FSA is between ALTTP and TWW, which we know now not to be the case.

I am curious to see how ALBW (gotta get used to that abbreviation!) affects the story and if it'll rewrite, alter or evolve facets of the ALTTP storyline. For instance- will the Master Sword continue to sleep forever? Where will it be set in relation to Oracles and LA?

Of course, in my private little world, after LA, Link washed up on the shores of Calatia, found the real Marin (ignoring the DX seagull retcon) and lived a happy life together. Then, durning wartorn times as Ganon's armies lay siege to northern Hyrule and the surrounding lands, their Great-great-great-great-great-great-great.....grandson decided to go adventuring in the neighboring lands of Hyrule, stumbling upon an old lady named Impa whom he finds besieged upon by Moblins...

And I want a Zelda game about that- the original Calitia Link before he got to Hyrule, where Link cannot use any items he'll later find in the original LOZ, except for some basic items like sword, shield and bow/arrows (stuff that he can lose, Samus-style, after the final battle before he continues on to Hyrule). Shake things up by forcing the designers to come up with new items to use and discarding the status quo with those limitations.

Heck, they could even work Zelda into the story briefly- maybe he helps buy her time to hide the Triforce pieces (though he doesn't have to know about it or know who she is). Retcon in some kind of relationship between the two to enhance the original game.

But that's just me working on a game that will never happen for a company that would be unlikely to hire an American to make it ;)

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree with all of this except that my FSA timeline placement is based on Ganon (although he could be retconned into being the Ganon, but no longer accepted by the Gerudo) as well the FS-FSA connections. The FSA sea levels idea is based on an extremely zoomed out beta map. We have oceans too!

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Is Red Ice hot and Blue Fire cold? (considering the "cool blue flame" in-game description of Blue Fire)

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Is anyone here familiar with Demise's curse?

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    "Though this is not the end. My hate... never perishes. It is born anew in a cycle with no end! I will rise again! Those like you... Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... They are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!"

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you! I was going to say that Demise's curse resembles the Sith. Does anyone else see that?

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    (edit time ran out)

I tend to think of Demise and his curse whenever play through the Spirit Temple. Do you? The2ndQuest

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Haven't finished Skyward Sword yet, so I don't yet have the context.

Also, I'm unlikely to replay the Spirit Temple any time soon given my backlog. ;)

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Too bad. I LOVE the Spirit Temple.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    According to Amazon.com

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    This item will be released on November 30, 2013.

Has an official release date been announced?

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I can see that. IDK about the Spirit Temple though. I guess blood-soaked sea of darkness could be an allusion to the Gerudo Desert, since that's where Ganondorf is originally from, and any time he tries to conquer Hyrule he extends that sea of darkness across the peaceful lands that the likes of Link and Zelda watch after.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I think blood-soaked sea of darkness means stuff like the adult era market in OOT.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, more or less. It wouldn't even be a stretch to say the same about the entire Dark World from ALTTP.

21. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Hello, Zelda Thread. I have only recently learned of your existence, which is quite a coincidence considering recent occurrences in my life. I have a friend, a girl who HATES Star Wars, which out of the gate is NOT a thing we bond over. But last night, we're hanging out playing NBA Jam and she spots Zelda: OoT in my N64. She remarks that she's always wanted to play a Zelda game. Needless to say, it didn't take much time at all before a new play through of OoT was underway, with her at the helm and myself providing 'backup'. In one session we got from Kokiri Forest to almost the end of Dodongo's Cavern, and by the time we were gamed out, it was 1:30 AM. She knows literally nothing about OoT so I can't wait to see her reaction to the various revelations and events further along in the story.

A couple funny moments we had:

I'm trying not to outright give her the solution to any puzzles, but she was stumped by the Deku Tree room with the eye. I told her, "ponder the eye". 30 seconds later, I whisper "you have to shoot it."

She thinks dancin' Darunia and the cuccos' revenge are priceless.

A number of times, she found herself in sticky situations where she's about to die; at these times we share a knowing glance of "You can get me out of this/you need me to get you out of this", and we exchange the controller wordlessly.

I will keep you appraised of the situation as it proceeds; we will probably play Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess once we're finished with OoT (skipping WW because I'm not a fan of that one), if she wants to keep it up. Could be a fun journey to document.

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, I did a similar thing when an old roommate of mine wanted to play Wind Waker. He had a lot of difficulty figuring some stuff out, and when I eventually told him he was wicked pissed, like "What? That's how you do it? That makes no sense! How the **** was I ever supposed to figure that out on my own!?"

It got quite humorous at times. :p

Darth Eddie likes this.
  23. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    TiniTinyTony, November is the release month for it, the 30th sounds like a placeholder date for Amazon until it is narrowed down.. though there was a chart which suggest the 11th November for the US release. European/Australian release date is not confirmed yet but hopefully not too far off.

Darth Eddie, it sounds like she is enjoying it. It's rare to experience something so beloved for the first time, let us know how it goes. Will you be giving The Wind Waker Reborn a try when it comes out around November for the Wii U? What is it about the GCN game that had turned you off?

I've been reading about the Symphony of the Goddesses: Second Quest and about the new content added to the concert. It should be great to go again!

24. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I'm sorry to say the Gamecube was the last Nintendo console I had. From then I got the Xbox 360, and at this stage I feel like giving up on consoles altogether and taking up PC gaming. But the classic nintendo games are where my heart is at when it comes to my favorite console games.

As for Wind Waker, I actually rather enjoyed it at first, but I was never really sold on the flooded Hyrule premise, both from a lore and a gameplay standpoint. A) it sucks that Hyrule gets flooded, and B) it sucks that I have to derp around on a boat from place to place. So when Twilight Princess came out, which essentially fulfilled my wildest dreams of what a Zelda game could be, it was a case of Wind Waker being *knocked out of the water*. However Ocarina of Time is still my favorite video game ever.

Much ado is made about WW's innovative art and expressive characters, which is fine and dandy - but I have never felt more in tune with Link as a character than in TP during that cutscene where he's galloping down intently on some moblins that kidnapped the village kids.

Same here! Lately I've been wondering how *I* ever figured any of that stuff out!

Oh, right... strategy guides...

And now, I have BECOME the strategy guide.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Does anyone else suspect that Koume and Kotake raised Ganondorf to further Demise's goals?