main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth_Nub, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    No Morricone thread? For shame.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Slightly crazy how I've only ever seen two of those :p

3. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I really wish Morricone would end up working on Star Wars at some point, the guy did work with Metal Gear, so why not?

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    He worked with Metal Gear?!? I never knew that! :eek:

(and I feel extra terrible because I thought he wasn't even alive anymore... good grief! These music maestros never die!)

5. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    I've only seen three, but from what I've read, Il Giardino Delle Delizie and La Cosa Buffa aren't particularly noteworthy films anyway. Great tracks, though.

Another goodie:

John R Pleak likes this.
  6. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    I freakin' love Ennio Morricone

easily one of the greatest scenes in film history and it's all editing 3 people standing and staring at each other for 5+ minutes, yet the tension is phenominal!

Also don't care what anyone says. his spaghetti western scores were his best work in my opinion.

Like I said. Ennio's best work was his work with Sergio Leone, especially the westerns. <3

7. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Match made in heaven. It's the same as John Williams' working with GL and Steven Spielberg, or Bernard Herrmann with Alfred Hitchcock.

And I don't think there's too much objection to the opinion that his best work was on the Leone westerns, which, for the most part, I rate higher than most Westerns made in the US. The European perspective adds something special to the genre, similar to Polanski's direction on Chinatown.

Bacon164 and jedinightwing like this.
  8. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Shameless bump, this one's pretty cool - was done for the much-reviled Exorcist II and wasn't actually in the film, just trailers & publicity:

Very similar to Il Giardino Delle Delizie, in my first post.

John R Pleak likes this.
  9. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I love the whole film. And this is a major reason why.

John R Pleak likes this.
  10. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Love his score for The Untouchables, and Frantic is a score often forgotten among Morricone's prolific library of work, but it is a fantastic score.

Yancy

11. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Watched Bugsy (1991) again for the first time in ages yesterday, Morricone's score was awesome as always, if a touch derivative of the one he did for The Untouchables, with a more melancholy edge to it overall.

12. John R Pleak

John R Pleak Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2013
    It's great to see a thread here about the incomparable maestro Ennio Morricone. He elevated film scores to new levels of artistry and complexity. I listen to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly motion picture soundtrack on a regular basis and I have found Morricone tells the story beautifully through his music. In this new digital age it is very easy for composers to take the quick and easy digital way out with their soundtracks and scores. Some say that you cannot tell the difference between a digital orchestra and a living flesh and blood orchestra...I beg to differ!

Darth_Nub likes this.
  13. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
  14. SerRoel

SerRoel Jedi Master

Oct 7, 2013
    He's performing in my country next year, already got the tickets:D
    I'm mainly familiar with his spaghetti western soundtracks but really looking forward to it.

John R Pleak likes this.
  15. John R Pleak

John R Pleak Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2013
    How lucky! I would love to see Ennio perform live. Have a great time and let us know how it went! :cool:

16. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Absolutely - SerRoel please check back in after the concert, it'd be great to hear about it.

Been listening to the Bugsy soundtrack quite a bit lately, it's definitely worth picking up. Kind of like The Godfather meets The Untouchables.

17. SerRoel

SerRoel Jedi Master

Oct 7, 2013
    I'll let you guys know ;)

18. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Came across this very funky clip of Morricone's score to Il Giardino Delle Delizie, which I included in my first post. I think this might be from the film itself:

Finally acquired the soundtrack in its entirety, the track is actually called 'Adonai', a Hebrew name for 'God'.

19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Second to John Williams, Ennio Morricone is my favorite movie composer

20. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

I'm the other way around, but it's not an easy choice. More a matter of personal taste, and I think both are guilty of recycling their own compositions now and then, which is about the only criticism you could apply to either.

It's kind of like trying to compare the Beatles to the 1960s Rolling Stones, or Led Zeppelin to the Velvet Underground.

darth car likes this.
  21. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Two great pieces that maybe don't know, from a 1982 French movie with Jean-Paul Belmondo "The Professional" :

Darth_Nub likes this.
  22. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    My playlist this month contains "Frank" from Once Upon A Time In The West. Last month it was "Come Una Sentenza". Great stuff.

23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Have to add this one, which I've been listening to this week...

the way the music at the end works with the kissing montage and Jacques Perrin's reactions as he watches never fails to destroy me:_|:p

24. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Yes Ennio is one of the best composers out there, without a doubt! I loved his score for the movie Orca. The score was so beautiful and really flowed well with the movie. The score along with the scenes of Killer whales are just so breathtaking and amazing.

Pensivia likes this.
  25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I dig Ennio, and some of his giallo-horror soundtracks are my favorites.

A Quiet Place in the Country is one of his strangest, yet most effective scores, but I think my favorite two horror scores of his are for A Lizard In a Woman's Skin and Gionata Nera Per L'ariete (The Fifth Cord).

Andy Wylde likes this.