main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Only the Dead (Ben Skywalker) Over 30 Writer's Challenge Fic 7/12/2013

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMaster_Jen, Jul 12, 2013.

1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Title: Only the Dead

Summary: Ben finally sees the end of war.

Disclaimer: George Lucas created Star Wars. Star Wars, LucasFilm Ltd. and all its content are currently owned and operated by the Walt Disney Company.

Written for the Over 30 Writer’s challenge: Death of a Character

118 Years ABY
    Skywalker Homestead
    Tatooine

Death stalks its prey with single-minded ferocity. It gives no mercy when it captures its intended target. It hides in the shadows, just out of sight, ready to strike at a moment’s notice.

Ben Skywalker had been stalked by death most of his life. His early years were spent in hiding as a battle raged just beyond his protective cocoon. When he emerged, the darkness of the Force disguised itself as a friend and reached menacingly for him; for his very soul.

When Darth Caedus fell on the blade of his twin sister, Ben thought death would retreat from his life. It did not. The darkness of an unseen foe continued to encroach upon him, leaving him breathless on occasion.

War was still waged in the galaxy and Ben sought to beat it back with raw power. He sought to protect that which he valued; his family. Yet, one by one, they too fell to the unseen predator; death.

Now in his ninety-first year, Ben’s life of pain and suffering brought about by war was finally coming to an end. He was on the cusp of learning life’s last great lesson, and he looked forward to it.

“Only the dead,” he whispered from his bed, his grandson seated in a chair beside him.

His grandson looked up. “What did you say, Grandfather?”

Ben coughed a bit, his breathing growing ever shallower with each passing moment.

“Only the…the dead have seen…seen the end of war,” he breathed. “Today, I…I shall see the…end of war.”

His grandson let the tears fall then. He wondered at that; wondered if it was true. Even at that moment, battles were being fought on many worlds, the fighting seeming never-ending. Perhaps death was the only escape from war.

Ben reached out and grasped his grandson’s hand in his own. His grip was the weak touch of an old man long since past his prime, but it carried such love and understanding that his grandson smiled through his heartbreak.

“Death is…is the last…great adventure,” Ben muttered.

His grandson wiped his tears as he felt his grandfather’s presence in the Force fading. His grandfather was slipping away; slipping into the clutches of death, and he could do nothing to stop it.

Just before he took his last breath, Ben’s eyes opened wide and a smile appeared on his face.

“Father,” he whispered just as his body faded from existence, leaving only his Jedi robes in his place and a bereaved grandson to mourn.

Death stalks its prey with single-minded ferocity.

“Goodbye, Grandfather.”

“Only the dead have seen the end of war”~~Plato

There is some debate about whether the quote can actually be attributed to Plato, but since it is the most prevalent theory, I’m crediting Plato.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Very nice and touching. I love that he saw his dad at the end. =D=

Jade_eyes likes this.
  3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    To die would be an awfully big adventure. - J. M. Barrie - Peter Pan

It is true that the dead are the only ones that are free of suffering. Unless you believe that you are going to Hell or one of the versions of it.

A good piece.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

4. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Great fic, the Quote is alo used, at the end of Battle for The Planet of the Apes

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Well done, JediMaster_Jen.

I really enjoyed the description of Ben.

"His grip was the weak touch of an old man long since past his prime, but it carried such love and understanding that his grandson smiled through his heartbreak."

Great image. I also liked that he saw Luke at the end as well.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Touching and great to see him united with Luke

7. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    =D= Nicely done! So poignant with the quote and the things Ben has experienced throughout his life!

Jade_eyes likes this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautifully poignant and real to life. =D= One does hope that the Skywalkers, some of them, eventually, will find an oasis of peace. They've earned it, through all their literal and figurative sacrifices. @};-

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Very nicely done! I like that Ben got to live to an old age and be with his loved ones.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  10. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Thank you so much. :)

I thought about that quote by J.M Barrie when I wrote this. I love Peter Pan! Thanks for reading, so glad you enjoyed. :)

Thanks. :)

Thanks you. I wanted something cool for the end and I thought Ben seeing his father would add just the right element of sentiment. :)

Thank you very much. [face_blush]

Thank you. I've always thought the Skywalker line would be fighting something until the end of time. Sad, but it seems to be their lot in life.