main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Pet Characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , May 10, 2013.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think Keyes has any pet characters. None that I remember. If he did, Anakin would qualify better than Tahiri.

I think he treats Tahiri with a reasonable balance.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm three chapters into Rebirth and I'm going with "no." Tahiri hasn't appeared superpowered and I'm also not seeing the other characters muse on how awesome she is. In fact, the Vong messed up Tahiri so badly that she hardly recognized either Anakin or herself afterwards, and so far it doesn't seem like she's going to come out of that quickly. If she were a pet character, I would expect Keyes to only give her an ordeal to show how much more awesome she became afterwards.

I think Keyes does a great job on all the characters, the possible exception being Luke drooling over Mara while she behaves like she's the only woman in the galaxy who has ever been pregnant. But I'm not blaming Keyes for that one; they're written that way in pretty much all the NJO books so far.

3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

I don't know if i'd call her his pet character, though he has written about her a lot. If she was classified as one for him however you know what? As one of the few writers to do not good, but excellent work with the character i'd call it a good example of one. He destroyed her, put her through hell, made it so that she had trouble even knowing who she was, but she came out better for it and it was one of the most interesting characters arcs of the entire NJO. It's a real shame he hasn't written any of her appearances since, because no one else seems to get her.

EDIT: Just noticed i'm apparently a Jedi Grand Master now. Sweet.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    One of the best aspects of the NJO was that a few of the lesser Jedi got significant roles. Even though Corran is totally a central character in Dark Tide just because Stackpole wrote the book, it is still awesome to get Corran as a central character. Just like it was cool to see Kyp in such a large role early on. It made it feel like someone outside of the Skysolo's were doing something important.

5. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    I'd probably consider Tahiri Keyes' signature character, as she appears in all three of his EU novels in a major role and, IMO, he writes her better than anyone. But I agree that I wouldn't call her his pet character; Tahiri is never portrayed as being disproportionately powerful or skilled in Keyes' books (in fact, she's fairly scornful of the very idea of her being any kind of "super-Jedi" thanks to her shaping in TFP), and while her experience with the Vong would kick off a character arc that would continue throughout her NJO appearances, the main practical advantage it brought was that she understood the Vong as one of their own, not through the acquisition of any kind of super-special-awesome powers. I also can't recall Keyes ever having anyone else go out of their way to talk up Tahiri's awesome, either. I think she was just a character he liked to write, not a character he wanted to push as the best.

Honestly, if Keyes had a "pet character" I'd say it was Nen Yim, rather than Tahiri, since she holds down her own subplot in all three of his works, and though she shows up in smaller roles in Enemy Lines and Destiny's Way, Keyes was the one who introduced her, handled the bulk of her arc, and finally killed her off. Even that is stretching it, though (especially the whole "killed her off" part- I can't see Denning killing Saba, or Traviss killing Fett, for example).

kataja and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I can see Zahn killing Thrawn off though :)

Zeta1127 and Gamiel like this.
  7. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Callista Ming in the Children of the Jedi: Her survival upset what could have been a great story. I thought that the plot twist would have been Cray sacrificing herself for Nichos survival on the escape pod. This would have been so ironic and tragic considering how Luke pined after Cray and belittled Nichos' existence the whole time. As Nichos would try to cope with his existence without Cray and honor her memory, Luke would be in a similar grieving state for Callista, so the story would have a bittersweet ending.

Instead, the plot twist was that they put Callista in Cray's body, so Luke gets the girl as a reward, but in a hotter body and unfortunate implications abound. Also Nichos and Cray die together for absolutely no reason because 'they were in love and couldn't live without each other', more unfortunate implications there.

Bail Organa in Karen Miller's Wild Space: While everyone was OOC to a extremely hilarious degree, and it is kind of hard to tell who the author's pet is, I'm going to give the reward goes to resident drug addict and senator, Bail Organa. Obi-wan was portrayed unfavorably by turning to the dark side, trying to break up Anakin and Padme, and truly living in fear of Bail Organa's strength and wisdom. A man doesn't even need to be force sensitive to destroy a Sith Temple when they are Bail Organa. Far superior to any Sith Lord or Jedi combined, Bail Organa thwarted every one of the Palpatine's plans, and will continue to do so in the future I'm sure.

kataja likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What?

9. VanishingReality

Apr 21, 2013
    That's what happened in Wild Space. I didn't make it up. (I kind of ...wish I did.)

10. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    He wrote 3 books. Hard to have a pert character when you only write 3 books.

If anything it would have to be Corran and Tahiri . . .

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Trying to break up Anakin and Padme (before they got married) actually made sense in the context of the story- it was pretty obvious even to Obi-Wan in AoTC that Anakin was dangerously attached- so him not having had a talk with Padme would have made the Jedi look even more foolish.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, not the Wild Space that I read at all.

As far as Obi-Wan trying to break up Anakin and Padme, that was on Yoda's orders, and turning to the Dark Side, that was the effects of the Sith Temple and I didn't remember him turning so much as going ape****. The Council then decided they couldn't risk sending another Jedi out there.

13. VanishingReality

Apr 21, 2013
    It didn't make sense to me even a little. Anakin was 'dangerously attached' to all kinds of things, not just Padme. His mother, his droid, etc. So why not just give the speech to Anakin? Also, having no attachments is an expectation for Jedi, so Obi-wan lecturing a regular person to remove their attachments is just silly.

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Speaking of pet characters, I drew Thrawn today. I'll scan him this weekend.

Gorefiend likes this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    kubricklynch likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Were is disco Thrawn from?

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Apparently the French RPG magazine, Casus Belli: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Casus_Belli_89

And I've never seen the cover before. Yikes. Blonde Thrawn?

[​IMG]

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I prefer blonde Thrawn.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Realism Thrawn.

20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I shall go with Stormtrooper Thrawn!

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A Thrawn who can't hit the side of a barn door with a blaster would be awesome.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Y'all have forgotten the best Thrawn there is! Elvis Thrawn.
    [​IMG]

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "There's two things you need to know. I'm the King, and number two is LOOK OUT MAN! It's called the Katana Fleet, man and only three people know it. Garm Bel Iblis, Talon Karrde and the King. And one of them's me."

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Five years after the destruction of the Death Star and the death of the Emperor, the Rebels has taken over what was the Empire. The last bastion of order became a ship called Chimera and Thrawn was crowned King. After one rockin' year, The King is dead. Every guitar picking, sword swinging opportunist, including Death himself, hears the call echoing across the galaxy. The Empire needs a new King.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A drug-induced Thrawn dies while taking a ****.

Perfect. :D

Jedi Ben likes this.