main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    I'm not sure the Star Wars movies are exactly going for this.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I guess what I'm trying to say is, those scenes exceeded my willing suspension of disbelief. Watching Yoda bounce around like a pinball, I was no longer engrossed in the story, I remembered I was watching a movie made with special effects. It was a total moodkiller.

DarthDuckie and only one kenobi like this.
  3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet on here, but I actually happen to love the addition of Darth Vader screaming "NOooooo" just as he stops the Emperor from killing Luke in ROTJ!!!

In another crazy twist, I also love the young ghost Anakin as well-It makes sense to me...

kainee likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The musical score for the asteroid field in ESB is kind of dull.

5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    A bit of an offshoot from something I posted earlier but...I've always had trouble supporting the Rebellion. Not because I disagree with their ideals (I'm with them all the way) but because they're so very dull compared to the Imperial officers. They're rather too gung-ho and lily-white good for my taste.

The Imperial officers, though, I thought showed real complexity. There was arrogance (like Ozzel) but there was also genuine honor among their ranks -- such a Captain Needa. And I felt their dilemmas were more human and tangible than that of the Rebellion, such as Piett's desperate attempts to placate Vader even while he disagreed with Vader's employment of bounty hunters.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Not really that unpopular, a lot of people feel the same way. In Lit your opinion is probably in the majority.

Not that your opinion doesn't belong in this thread.

7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    They had a superior sense of style for sure, if you can just get past the whole murderous totalitarian aspect.

kainee likes this.
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Easily shrugged off.

kainee and DarthDuckie like this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I would actually say that saying the Empire doesn't have better style (as in pure aesthetics) would belong in this thread. Every SW fan I've ever met seems to think they looked better.

kainee likes this.
  10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Oh they're definitely the more stylish. But PH has gone out on a limb here and said that it's hard to support the Alliance because they're dull. That's is a whole new level of Imperial love. ;)

kainee likes this.
  11. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    Perhaps square would be a better summing up of the Rebels personalities.

"Whooaahrr! That got him!"

kainee and DarthDuckie like this.
  12. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    Fair enough, but that might, in a way, have more to do with expecting Yoda not to fight more than how he actually did it. I used to sympathise with such a position but only because I got to know him, like most others, during ESB and ROTJ when he was frail and weak. But that's not who the guy he always was. It would only make sense he be able to fight (and not only that but fight well). The "pinball" element to it actually makes it more believable than it would be any other way. I love watching the 'From Puppets to Pixels' documentary to see how Lucas directed the animators of the Yoda fight sequence in particular (odds of which on him getting it right were massively long) - substituting the slower physical realism they had initially interpreted for a more "romantic", fanciful (and some might say graceful) alternative. Obviously, at that time, they were pushing the boundaries with it in every sense and it wasn't perfect. But by ROTS I think Yoda's action stuff is exceptionally good. The shot of him leaping onto the senate pod is a classic "hero" movie moment and the parts where he throws his saber into the Clone Trooper's chest (then pins him down to retrieve it) and where he decapitates his would-be killers heads on Kashyyyk seem so effortlessly stylish.

kainee and VMeran like this.
  13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I feel a little sorry for Piett, as well -- PiettsHat!!! :p

Like, in that scene where he confides with a bridge officer on Vader bringing disreputables on board:

"Bounty hunters -- we don't need their scum."

The officer just gives an indifferent, "Yes, sir." Poor Piett was probably going out of his mind in that dull (and thankless) job.

And then, of course, there was the ever-present threat that Vader might choke the living Force out of him.

Poor Piett. No-one to talk to, no-one to trust. Sucks working for the Empire!

kainee, minnishe and d_arblay like this.
  14. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    An unpopular Star Wars opinion, huh? One that'll make fans on these forums attack...

How's about this, the OT cast will survive all throughout the ST. *shields self from inevitable onslaught of macabre fans wishing otherwise*

"Not the face..."

Darth Pwn likes this.
  15. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

I never took Yoda's not fighting in the OT as a sign of weakness or frailty. Rather, i always imagined that he had transcended beyond hand to hand combat, especially of the lightsabre variety. Same with Sidious. In my mind, that kind of combat was more or less beneath their vast force powers.

kainee and Sarge like this.
  16. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Which will lead to Episode 10, 11, 12 in the next decade..... and maybe the big 3 will die in that trilogy. [face_laugh]

17. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I also like that Yoda doesn't fight in the OT. But I'm fond of it partly because it acts as a direct contrast to the PT. It shows a nice evolution of character for Yoda (and Obi-Wan as well) to see the folly of attack. With only the OT, sometimes I think lines such as "Wars not make one great" can come across as platitudes. With the PT in mind though, it becomes a lot more tragic -- it's hard-earned knowledge, paid with the blood of Yoda's friends and allies. I think it gives lines like that in the OT a lot more profundity and meaning when one sees the mistakes Yoda's made and what it cost him to earn this wisdom.

18. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Sarge. Don't forget to take your earplugs out the next time you watch Empire. :)

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    WHAT'D YOU SAY? SPEAK UP! Darned kids, always mumbling...

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  20. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    :D

Ok, now that's just cruel.

Darth Pwn likes this.
  21. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    The problem is, none of those characters are established as the most "fierce bounty hunters" in the films themselves. So just like Boba Fett, they have yet to prove themselves. Boba Fett was definitely clever in realizing where Han was likely hiding, I grant you that. But aside from that, he doesn't do anything impressive. Following Han would have been easy, since Han was doing no fancy piloting. Han charted a course for Bespin and Boba simply followed Han's course heading. Following Han through the asteroid field would have been very impressive had Boba done so, but he did not. Han charted a simple course to Bespin and Boba followed it. Nothing fancy there, aside from a possible jammer to cloak his presence.

Lando is far more important to the trilogy than Boba. Where they may have equal footing in ESB, Boba has next to no role in the RotJ, while in contrast, Lando fights in the battle against the Death Star II, pilots the Falcon into its core and aids in its destruction! In RofJ, all Boba Fett really does is die. Sure, his lame death isn't his fault, but that doesn't change the fact that he does not earn his reputation in the films. Aside from outwitting Han in ESB, Boba Fett earns his reputation through having awesome armor, gadgets and most importantly, a mysterious quality on which our imaginations can project all measures of bad-assary. But that's just the point: there really isn't that much there. And it is my opinion that when we compare his reputation with the fans, where his stature is that of legend, to his actual performance in the films, he appears overrated. He's cool, but he isn't that cool.

It's really not a big deal, though. Given Boba Fett's status in Star Wars fandom, I expected my opinion to be pretty unpopular, and the sharing of such unpopular opinions was the point of the thread, if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise, I really wouldn't bother bringing it up.

wobbits and Sarge like this.
  22. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I think you'll find that the devoted cult of Boba Fett isn't quite what it was prior to the release of the PT films, given his somewhat lacklustre presence in them. Didn't appear in Ep I, a kid in Ep II, then whatever presence he was meant to have in Ep III was eliminated at the script development stage and remains unknown (although JW Rinzler's The Making of Revenge of the Sith does indicate that he once was meant to appear).

Fizzer of a character, sadly.

23. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    The problem is, none of those characters are established as the most "fierce bounty hunters" in the films themselves. So just like Boba Fett, they have yet to prove themselves.

It's really not a big deal, though. Given Boba Fett's status in Star Wars fandom, I expected my opinion to be pretty unpopular, and the sharing of such unpopular opinions was the point of the thread, if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise, I really wouldn't bother bringing it up.[/quote]

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that the bounty hunters didn't prove themselves in the films as "fierce", but if we were to go by that logic, then Darth Vader didn't really do anything either except for Force choke a few defenseless generals, and cut off Luke's hand. Emperor Palpatine doesn't do anything until the third film, and that is basically just the use of Force lightning on Luke. So, in my honest opinion, I personally feel that Boba Fett is on equal footing with them in that regard. Appearance and presence were key aspects in terms of getting a villain over in the Star Wars films (the PT had more action for each individual villain). But, again I totally understand what you mean, and was just providing my own two cents, as that is the point of every thread. By no means are you wrong in any way.

kainee and Darth Pwn like this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You really think the PT did it? I always assumed the collapse of Fettism came more from the EU running him into the ground at the same time as people began to look back and realize just how little he actually did in the films.

Lord Gaos, kainee and Sarge like this.
  25. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yes, that was just as much to blame as well. Plus, the hype in the 1990s made the less-than-stellar appearance of Fett in the PT that much more of a disappointment.