main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    You are not in error, d_arblay and thanks for clarifying...

I wasn't sure what you meant and was just trying to stay ahead of the digression curve.
    :p

d_arblay likes this.
  2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Hayden did an okay job. Of the two Prequel Anakin's, his is the only one I like.

Although after watching The Clone Wars, I wonder how great Matt Lanter would've been.

AshiusX and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  3. SW1sawesum

SW1sawesum Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    I thought Hayden did okay in AOTC, and in general, I like his performance in ROTS. He really had a tough job to try and pull off in ROTS. In one movie, he's supposed to go from Jedi sworn to protect the republic to WILLINGLY joining the sith and actively killing mentors, collegues and small children alike. I still have trouble during that scene when he turns. I can buy the cutting off Mace's hand, but I still can't make the leap from that to having no issue with slaughtering jedi at the temple.

kainee likes this.
  4. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I've thought about the possibility of having Lanter as well. Wish we could have seen something.

5. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    He did a decent job.

He had this creepy look only for about 99% of the time.

For better or worse, he is the Anakin Skywalker that will be remembered.

The kid from APM, nobody really cares about, and Sebastian Shaw is unknown even to many fans.

6. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I just see it as when the name, Anakin Skywalker, comes to mind or when someone says it, Hayden's face will pop up in my mind. There's no stopping that. Whether we think he was a bad or good Anakin, he will be the Anakin. He left his thumbprint.

7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I've never like PT Anakin. The combination of outwardly large ego and brashness coupled with inward insecurity and neediness has never been something I've particularly admired in a person. But that's just me. The passing of time, however, has led me to conclude that Hayden was chosen to create a certain impression of the character and he played the character out pretty much as intended. So overall, I'd say Hayden did a decent job, my opinion of Anakin notwithstanding.

8. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I can respect your reason for the dislike of PT Anakin. It's reasonable, not just "he's whinny and annoying".

9. Major Smith

Major Smith Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2013
    'I don't like sand' That's the scene which sticks in my head, I think as said above anyone would of had a hard job portraying Anakin, I mean action films aren't designed to get Oscars for the actors. I think his scenes involving Padme were very cardboard for me, I just didn't believe it at all. However there are parts of him that I really like such as his general skrimish with the Jedi council. I think Hayden did a decent job overall

10. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I feel like when he needed to be rebellious, forward, and angry, Hayden was a perfect fit.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I think he did. I liked Shaw too, but his portrayal was very brief but I loved the emotion in the scene. It had a big impact on me because he was the first face of Anakin.
    But Hayden is the one I usually associate when I hear the name. To me he is Anakin in that sense.

kainee and Legolas Skywalker like this.
  12. jom

jom Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 1998
    While not trying to defend Hayden too much but I think the general ACTING issues that plagued the Prequels came mostly from the direction of George Lucas. If GL had got, say, Irving Kershner to direct the Prequels would have been a much better experience. My reasoning behind this is based on what I perceive as "half assed" direction towards the less-experienced actors in the movies....such as Hayden and Natalie at the time. You'll note that there wasn't too much of the a problem with Samuel or Ewan or Ian in their parts. Why? They all had much more acting experience than the kids did so it was tougher on them. Plus the fact the "kids" were the heart of the movies and the acting falls flat in many places, especially in the first two prequels...overall made the movies seem kinda of bad...at least many people believe so.

It's the same theory I've had in why the "love story" behind Padme/Anakin never really works (except maybe in ROTS)....it's just not directed well, IMO.

jom

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Hando like this.
  13. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    That's exactly how I've always seen it Jom. Its the direction more than anything imho.

The balcony scene in RotS is just cringworthy and I'm still staggered it made the final cut of the film. It makes me squirm to this day in what, on the whole, is a great movie.
    But just compare Anakin and Padme's "I love you scene" to the Carbon Freezing Chamber with Han and Leia. The dialogue is poor and the delivery . . . . I'm getting cold shivers just thinking about it. . . .

Although Hayden wasn't bad overall for me, he wasn't helped in certain scenes where he needed direction.

14. jom

jom Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 1998
    I'm not certain what "balcony scene" you are referring to (off the top of my head) there Hando. Most of the stuff in ROTS isn't bad. At least you get a sense that the two characters at least had some chemistry which was badly missing previously. In fact, compared to the earlier two movies most of scenes are at least up to par with the original trilogy....which I might add...aren't exactly "Lawrence of Arabia"-like acting either. LOL

I find the Naboo scenes in AOTC being the worst cringe worthy stuff in the Prequels...between Nats and Hayden. In TPM the little boy was bad and he needed Spielberg BADLY...who was always very good with child actors.

I really wish George "That's great! It's a take!" Lucas had given up a little bit of control to a real director....IMO the prequels would have been looked upon far better than it is now. They were, frankly, a better story than the originals by far but GL crapped the bed unfortunately with his questionable direction. He was a good story guy but he lost much his director ability 35 years ago.

jom

Hando likes this.
  15. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Now I think about it it may not be a balcony as such . . . . My bad, its very late / early here it could well be a bedroom scene in RotS . . . . and it really does rot. Its certainly up there with the classic naboo scenes I know Padme states "So love has blinded you" and Haydens laugh response is just shocking for me. :(

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That balcony scene actually wasn't in the original script, it was added at the last minute. IIRC Lucas decided that the film didn't do much to show Anakin and Padme as a happy couple before the proverbial **** hit the fan, so he added that one.

I actually thought it was sweet. Corny as hell, but sweet.

kainee, Darth Chiznuk and Hando like this.
  17. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Fair enough, its only my POV. ;)

There's not many things I find fault with when it comes to SW so you can forgive me this one.:D

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, dude, it's an opinion. No right or wrong here, so nothing to "forgive." :)

Hando and SithStarSlayer like this.
  19. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Are you referring to:

"You are so beautiful"
    "It's only because I'm so in love"
    "No, it's because I'm so in love with you."

as sweet?

[​IMG]

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, that was the corny part. ;)

Can't see the image.

21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    "You are so beautiful"
    "It's only because I'm so in love"
    "No, it's because I'm so in love with you."
    "So love has blinded you?"
    "That's not exactly what I meant."
    "But it's probably true."

wut

22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    You already know what it is...
    [face_sick]

Hando likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Married three years and Anakin's pick-up lines haven't improved, but that's probably to be expected. She fell in love with him when he was talking about not liking sand.

AshiusX, kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  24. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Actually I think it's Padme's pick up lines that caused the problem there.

Just take the compliment, don't try to twist it into high school romantic improv.

25. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i like that scene, infact their scenes together are a so much better in Sith then they are in clones. Hayden in particular may not have been experienced enough to take one of the biggest roles in fantasy cinema when he first got the role but i find myself liking his peformances in Sith better each time I watch, while i still find parts of him in AOTC cringey - mainly the love scenes but that adds to the mad B movie feel of Clones in a way

kainee likes this.